Another sharpening thread advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I find one of these really useful in my work pants pocket. Far better than a chisel or knife I think. Please feel free to argue the point. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :p
Pencil-Sharpener-KJS-003-.jpg

Attachments

• Pencil-Sharpener-KJS-003-.jpg
    Pencil-Sharpener-KJS-003-.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,465
Grayorm":2ure65kd said:
I find one of these really useful in my work pants pocket. Far better than a chisel or knife I think. Please feel free to argue the point. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :p
Anything to avoid the tiniest bit of woodwork! :roll: :lol:

paul saunders":439o1a86 said:
But, how do you sharpen the blade of such a fine instrument. #-o #-o

With a sharpening jig, of course! :lol:

***dives under bench to avoid flying mallets***

I don't like these flimsy, plastic-bodied devices - here's the real thing : investment cast bronze body with A2 steel cutting iron. Too precious to sharpen a pencil with - I just keep it on a shelf & look at it every now & then.
DSCF0378_small.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0378_small.jpg
    DSCF0378_small.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,326
Grahamshed":1fv609sw said:
Cheshirechappie":1fv609sw said:
***dives under bench to avoid flying mallets***
You can hide...... but we will get you when you come out.

Whaddya mean, "come out". I'm not that way inclined, Duckie.

----------

Sent from my old baked bean tin using taut string.

Cheshirechappie":2lp9a8r8 said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Sharpen-Pencils-Theoretical-Contractors/dp/1612190405/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377792282&sr=1-1&keywords=sharpen+a+pencil

This is just hilarious.

phil.p":2x9fsmc3 said:
When we had a drawing exam at school (45yrs ago), we were sent in with freshly honed 1" chisels to sharpen pencils with. Pencil sharpeners were not deemed good enough.

Careful

baldpate":1u2o2rht said:
I don't like these flimsy, plastic-bodied devices - here's the real thing : investment cast bronze body with A2 steel cutting iron. Too precious to sharpen a pencil with - I just keep it on a shelf & look at it every now & then.

That's a really nice sharpener. Lovely patina to the bronze, rounded blade end and slotted screw which has been carefully clocked in line with the body.

Is it a low angle model? My own Staedtler sharpens the point at 23 degrees with a roughly 25 degree effective pitch to the bevel, but I think it is a more modern model than yours.

If I were you I would buy a QS blade for it to protect the original and keep it as original as possible (I'm sure they are available), as well as a Stay Set two piece screw and body assembly, they old ones just aren't stiff enough as can be seen by the number of badly sharpened vintage pencils you see around and very uneven pencil lines to be found on old furniture.

I've been looking for one like it for ages at the boot sale to go with the Norris infill and Studley tool chest which I also can't find. Very jealous...

Well I must admit that at school in Technical Drawing we always sharpened our pencils with wood chisels because the 2H & harder pencils chip so easily with conventional pencil sharpeners, which are always too blunt. We even had a lesson on how to do it I remember.

The best and most fun thing to do with normal pencil sharpeners (the metal ones) is to burn them (but please do it outside somewhere safe) - Most of them are magnesium alloy and so if you stick a blow torch on them they'll burn like a star flare - beautifully :twisted:

Jon

I gather they are bringing out a left handed version soon. I can't wait, I'm so excited!

You can all keep your precious little devices - I use this -
kubben.jpg

Attachments

• kubben.jpg
    kubben.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 771

Latest posts

Back