Another sharpening thread advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just love this one...

ever_animation2.gif

The Everett Pencil Sharpener was patented in 1909 and introduced in 1910.

Taken from here... http://www.officemuseum.com/pencil_sharpeners.htm

Jon

wizard":2r48o7sf said:
so how do i sharpen this with it
79658.jpg

With one of these:-

Flat_pencil_sharpener.jpg

Of course, all these so-called sharpeners are really pencil-sharpening jigs which enable rookie pencil users to achieve the correct angle at the point. Proper pencil users do it freehand.

Would anyone really admit to owning one of those sharpeners?

A bit like stopping to ask for directions or reading an instruction manual...

wastrel":13ae6qc0 said:
wizard":13ae6qc0 said:
so how do i sharpen this with it
79658.jpg

With one of these:-

Flat_pencil_sharpener.jpg

Of course, all these so-called sharpeners are really pencil-sharpening jigs which enable rookie pencil users to achieve the correct angle at the point. Proper pencil users do it freehand.

Nothing wrong with jigs. :mrgreen:

Hi

I take it that the safety devices, blade guards and dust extraction have been removed from the devices listed above for the sake of photographic clarity.

Surely no one would be so foolish to use a sharpener without adequate protection - not forgetting the most important item of all - safety glasses.

Regards Mick

Its all in the blade sharpening technique, mine is a freehand convex bevel honed to 0.3 microns on 3M lapping film. (hammer)

Matt

Just wanted to say thanks for a sharpening thread that for once is a pleasure to read - personally I always use a blunt knife cos a sharp one makes it too easy, although longinthetooth has tempted me to change over to an axe now, proper manly pencil sharpening that!

Cheerio,

Carl

Is camellia oil the right thing for pencil sharpeners?
I've got some left over - I've been rubbing it onto the wife as she's been looking a bit peaky lately.

Jacob":ncmqa8iw said:
Is camellia oil the right thing for pencil sharpeners?
I've got some left over - I've been rubbing it onto the wife as she's been looking a bit peaky lately.

That all depends on how sharp your pencil is Jacob.

I hear that Festool have one in the pipeline. Rumoured to be somewhere in the region of £400.

My name is on the list.

Grahamshed":1rra0vqu said:
I hear that Festool have one in the pipeline. Rumoured to be somewhere in the region of £400.

My name is on the list.

There's no need to spend a fortune on expensive toys. The plastic sharpeners from China don't last. Bronze cast sharpeners are lovely, but dropping one on a concrete floor will probably be the end of it.

If you search the boot fairs you should be able to pick up an old woodie for pennies.

Wooden_pencil_sharpener.jpg

wastrel":3vxhwbzn said:
There's no need to spend a fortune on expensive toys. The plastic sharpeners from China don't last. Bronze cast sharpeners are lovely, but dropping one on a concrete floor will probably be the end of it.

If you search the boot fairs you should be able to pick up an old woodie for pennies.

Wooden_pencil_sharpener.jpg

Make your own springs to mind :wink:

wastrel":1pqi84en said:
Grahamshed":1pqi84en said:

My name is on the list.

I once found a super cheaply made one - the body was just stamped and folded sheet metal - turns out (I have a friend who collects slide rules, scientific instruments, pens and office equipment) that it was rare and sought after!

BugBear

DTR":1l1tso3d said:
Fast, precise, repeatable

83ab33b7.jpg

I think you should at least be advocating using a treadle lathe and skew chisel on the hand tool forum... :wink:

(Part of me feels slightly ashamed that as a woodturner it never occurred to me to use the lathe :oops:)

Jon

chipmunk":14ns74w5 said:
I think you should at least be advocating using a treadle lathe and skew chisel on the hand tool forum... :wink:
Surely a treadle lathe belongs on a foot tool forum... ?

Cheers, Vann. :D

Back