Angle Grinder Problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodiedonald

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was using my grinder today at work, Its a Makita 9554NB. I was going pretty hard on it, might have stalled it a few times for a second or two. (was in a rush, you know what its like). It was going fine then it started to turn very slowly and it got very hot, almost hard to hold it. It smelled bad, like cement or like fags or smoke. Curiosity got the better of me and I had a look inside. Brushes seem OK, commutator seems a bit blackened. It was very dusty inside, concrete dust mostly. Tried hoovering it out, didn't help.

When I try and turn it on now it turns very slow and makes a buzzing sound, has it packed up on me? Any ideas?

Cheers all,
Donald.

Try cleaning the comm of the blackening, and ensure the brushes slide up and down in their housings and are free from dust. Also ensure the disc spins freely by hand and the gearbox has not clogged. If that don't do it, a new grinderette may be on your shopping list. Soundfs as if it is arcing out on something, or shorting out through dust accumulation, or insulation failure.

Back