Amn't...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Courtesy of my Irish upbringing, I tend to still use "amn't" in conversation (as opposed to "I'm not", in case you're confused)

It seems to amuse people....but why?
Can't, won't, aren't, etc., are used all the time, so why not amn't?!

It's not a contraction of 'I'm not' as the 'I' is missing. If you said 'I amn't' it would be more correct but it still sounds like you didn't bother too much with school.

It's not a contraction of 'I'm not' as the 'I' is missing. If you said 'I amn't' it would be more correct but it still sounds like you didn't bother too much with school.

Jeez...
Well, yes!
I wouldn't just say "Amn't", would I?!

Let me re-word my post, just for you...
Courtesy of my Irish upbringing, I tend to still use "I amn't" in conversation (as opposed to "I'm not", in case you're confused)

OK now? :rolleyes:

On these Islands we are a group of people divided by the same language. i took me years to realize that the Irish names of Shamus and Sean were just their English equivalents of James and John, spoken with a strong Irish accent. :giggle: You can even get to Eamon from Edmund if you tune your ear correctly. :unsure:

I remember as kids in London, that we were encouraged not to use the equivalent "ain't", because - " Ain't, ain't, in the dictionary, ain't, ain't"

Cozzer? Am't you the quare one? Eddymickatin' the non-Celts. Keep 'er lit Kid!

P.S. I'm from near the north coast of 'Norn Iron' and the Missus was educated in "Nort Tipp" (Co. Tipperary)...I have to say, there were some hilarious crossed meanings early in our relationship.

'It bain't' was a common one growing up in Herefordshire, but haven't heard it anywhere else. 'End ut wick' was payday

Cozzer? Am't you the quare one? Eddymickatin' the non-Celts. Keep 'er lit Kid!

P.S. I'm from near the north coast of 'Norn Iron' and the Missus was educated in "Nort Tipp" (Co. Tipperary)...I have to say, there were some hilarious crossed meanings early in our relationship.
Dun Laoghaire in my case.
Thence to Belfast, and the RBAI.

It's thanks to Inst that I am who I am today.

A complete nonentity. :)

On these Islands we are a group of people divided by the same language. i took me years to realize that the Irish names of Shamus and Sean were just their English equivalents of James and John, spoken with a strong Irish accent. :giggle: You can even get to Eamon from Edmund if you tune your ear correctly. :unsure:

Like "Shamus Android" :D

It's Seamus actually Niall, and there should be a fada over the 'a' in both if you have a Celtic keyboard 😉🤔. Good luck from Seamus 🍀

Uhmm! I can see different dilects in English language. Some statements/expressions I understand; and some I don't.

And many a times I prefer speaking/writing without contraction (which is formal).

I like this forum, and other UK/US forums I joined because one of the essence is for me to learn/improve on the tongue from its native speakers.

Well, going out, have CA tomorrow.

Courtesy of my Irish upbringing, I tend to still use "amn't" in conversation (as opposed to "I'm not", in case you're confused)

It seems to amuse people....but why?
Can't, won't, aren't, etc., are used all the time, so why not amn't?!

I don't know - but there are large sections of English grammar and spelling that seem to depend on who got to make up those rules. Printers, dictionary writers even monks copying it out by hand get blamed for lots of the weirdness of the English language.

It's possible there is an 'approved list' of contractions to be spoken in perfect Queen's English and someone decided I'm not is the correct way, so that's how we learned it from that point onwards.

Back