Air nail guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigs

Established Member
Reaction score
All the same?

I was looking at the bostich 18g brad nailer, but there seems to be tons around and many cheaper, any of the others worth considering? if so which do you recommend?

Do you really need air operated ? - there are quite a few good battery machines around that give excellent results - and no compressor required.

Do you really need air operated ? - there are quite a few good battery machines around that give excellent results - and no compressor required.
I have a compressor, so it just makes more sense without the need to recharge batteries or use gas cartridges

Have 3 Bostich: a coil nailer used mainly for fencing, and 2 Brad nailers. All work very well. Only problem, the coil nailer doesn't seem to like firing shorter nails. I've hired a Paslode before and it was a pain!

I have a selection of nailers, a big Silverline, a small Stanley and a couple of Powercraft. The Powercraft were very good, until they stopped working, but they were really cheap, so I will definitely buy another couple of them when I can. I seem to remember, the Powercraft took longer nails than the Stanley. They are all about 15 years old.
I also use my son-in-law's DeWalt battery nailer which is very good, but I prefer air nailers. They seem to have more impact and the DeWalt has a bit of a delay as it winds up, but it is so convenient not having to charge up the compressor/tangled air line etc. and the battery nailer wins where there is no power supply. The Stanley has been very good, but was always second choice to the powercraft in use. The Silverline takes up to 100mm nails. It is a beast of a thing, but I have fired thousands of 4" nails and it's still going strong.

I've a BAE coil nailer, 20+ years old, it only gave me one spot of bother about 5 years ago. I sent it to them , they sorted it out and sent it back, didn't even charge me postage.

Also a Clarke strip framing nailer, cheap. less than £100 it's about 5 years old works very well.

And lastly parkside brad nailer, cheap as chips, I don't use it much but very useful when needed and works flawlessly.

I'm looking for a light, battery powered "nailer" just for light work like tacking for gluing or holding until screwed in cabinets etc. Any recommendations? Only a hobby so budget is good.

Thanks for the responses guys, i think ill just go with the bostitch, they seem to be well regarded and last.

I'm looking for a light, battery powered "nailer" just for light work like tacking for gluing or holding until screwed in cabinets etc. Any recommendations? Only a hobby so budget is good.

Not the cheapest but the Ryobi Airstrike gets consistently good reviews, obviously helps if you already own some Ryobi batteries.

Not the cheapest but the Ryobi Airstrike gets consistently good reviews, obviously helps if you already own some Ryobi batteries.
I use the Bosch "one battery system" Bought an impact driver Christmas 2018.
Bought new hammer drill Christmas 2019
Different batteries!!

Last edited:
You haven't stated whether you want a frame nailer or finish nailer but I've got 2 air finish nailer, a Makita which is excellent and then I bought a Parkside nailer/stapler which is excellent value. If I had to decide now I've have settled for the Parkside which I bought new on eBay earlier this year. Lidl sometimes sell them. I used the Makita to nail down 12mm sarking on a 9m x 4m roof (fired a lot of nails) and it performed perfectly. I've only used the Parkside occasionally so far.

I have a cheap 18g air nailer, I think its from machine mart, its perfectly fine. They are a simple thing really.

I just looked at the Ryobi one mentioned above, it looks like it might be the same technology as the Hikoki (Hitachi) airspring design where it compresses a tiny tank on each stroke to fire like a pnumatic nailer but battery powered. I wonder if they licenced the technology or do it differently somehow.

Ollie

Back