Advice on removing timber window frame in one piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard C-D

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCF8667.JPG

I'm having an extension built coming out from this wall. I want the builder to remove the frame in one piece and use it in the new part. They keeping giving excuses why they can't. To me this seems a fairly easy job but needs care and planing. When the windows are opened I can see screws going through the frame into the bricks and the screw is easy to unscrew.
My plan would be to remove the beading holding the glass, very carefully remove the glass, using supporting OSB on each side. Remove the screws holding the frame and the filler strip at the top and push from inside and maybe pull from outside as well.
Has anyone done this and is it possible or are there any better ways of going about it?

Finally, do all builders want to smash everything up and buy new or is it just these ones?

Sure it's possible.

Will the window in a new extension meet current building regulations?

How old is the window?

Removing the glass first is a good idea then if all the fixings are easy to get at then unscrew and remove the frame.If there are fixings that you cannot get at or won;t come out then you could use a reciprocating saw to run down the edge cutting through the fixings.

Piece of cake to take it out in one piece. Screws out, frame seal removed. Find the wedges and tap them back. Chances are it’s expanding foamed all around for which an old disposable saw is your friend.

It depends how easy the glass comes out, if it's well stuck in with silicone it might not come out very easily. There is always a chance that you might break the glass or even just the seals on the units but the price of 3 new units wouldn't be that bad.

I have just used a hacksaw blade to cut through the screws between the frame and wall in the past but depends how tough the screws are.
You could maybe do this and remove the window in one piece without removing the glass then refit the window using the metal straps you screw to the window and bricks/blocks.

I'm careful with my money, BUT, is it really worth putting a second hand window in a new extension. How much are you going to save yourself.
By all means try and get it out in one piece, to reuse in a self build garden room, or sell it on to recoup a few £'s.

Colin

It depends how easy the glass comes out, if it's well stuck in with silicone it might not come out very easily. There is always a chance that you might break the glass or even just the seals on the units but the price of 3 new units wouldn't be that bad.

I have just used a hacksaw blade to cut through the screws between the frame and wall in the past but depends how tough the screws are.
You could maybe do this and remove the window in one piece without removing the glass then refit the window using the metal straps you screw to the window and bricks/blocks.
Doug
If the glass breaks I'd agree that it's not a big deal. On the opening widow I tried the screw and it came out OK so the ones behind the fixed panes shouldn't be a problem. I'm not fitting the window so I'll leave that to the builders

I'm careful with my money, BUT, is it really worth putting a second hand window in a new extension. How much are you going to save yourself.
By all means try and get it out in one piece, to reuse in a self build garden room, or sell it on to recoup a few £'s.

Colin
Colin, The window frame's only a few years old so should have another fifty years in it, also the places I've tried that make the frames say it can take 3 to 4 months to supply a new one.

Finally, do all builders want to smash everything up and buy new or is it just these ones?
Maybe you should listen to your builders, how much will you pay someone to remove this window?
Who will guarantee the install?
How long will the double glazing seals last after being undone and reseated?
As a tradesman I wouldn't shortcut an extension for this little cost. As a homeowner I would carefully remove it myself and use it in a shed or workshop.

Maybe you should listen to your builders, how much will you pay someone to remove this window?
Who will guarantee the install?
How long will the double glazing seals last after being undone and reseated?
As a tradesman I wouldn't shortcut an extension for this little cost. As a homeowner I would carefully remove it myself and use it in a shed or workshop.
An hours job to take it out and another to pop it back in. Anything else you’re dealing with rip off merchants. Sounds to me like the builders on this job are young, no idea how to do things efficiently / limited / no training.
It’s a wooden window, to replace with new would be far far more expensive than reusing it.
A double glazing unit is around £10 retail price. Hardly expensive. If you buy a new window you will need all new glazing units! Max you should need to 3 units if they don’t come out easily.

So in summary, taking a labour rate of £200 / day, total cost will be circa £50 labour and £30 for the new units, total of £80.

Last edited:
An hours job to take it out and another to pop it back in. Anything else you’re dealing with rip off merchants. Sounds to me like the builders on this job are young, no idea how to do things efficiently / limited / no training.
It’s a wooden window, to replace with new would be far far more expensive than reusing it.
A double glazing unit is around £10 retail price. Hardly expensive. If you buy a new window you will need all new glazing units! Max you should need to 3 units if they don’t come out easily.

So in summary, taking a labour rate of £200 / day, total cost will be circa £50 labour and £30 for the new units, total of £80.
Deema,
The builders are fairly young and seem to look for the easy option. Following your and others advice I'll stick to my plan of reusing the frame. It would have to have come out anyway and this ,or a new one, would be fitted as part of their quote. If the old glazing breaks it won't add to the cost .
The same builders replaced a neighbours hardwood conservatory a few years back. Everything went in the skip until I hauled some of it out. Perfectly good timber, hinges, locks and handles.

When I had my business I did this several times for customers. As long as the window is sound with no rot then it's dead easy and if the OP is willing to remove it himself then even better and there should be no extra cost involved unless glass is broken as the builders have to fit a window in any case whether this one or a new supply and as said it can easily be built in using frame angles which cost pennies.

There can only be a couple of reasons the builders don't want to do it,
Breakage is one but easily overcome if the householder accepts he will meet the cost of replacement,.
Loss of profit as they would be making that on a new supply unit
or
As said, they just have no idea what they're doing

It's very simple indeed to remove a window frame even if screws are not accessible as there is always enough gap to cut through the side fixings if it was me I'd be having a chat with the builders asking them exactly why they consider it difficult.

I'm sure last time I got some it was something like £50m2 + vat (minimum of 0.3m2 charge), that was ages ago and I seem to get informed of price increases almost every other month.

I do normally get Planitherm toughened with warm edge spacers though.

@DOUG I’m about to order a few more units so I might be in for a shock! The stuff I’m referring to isn’t toughened. Not a low enough cill for that.

I would suggest it will take longer to get the silicone out from the frame perimeter, we use a multi tool with a blunt blade, then a thin disk in a grinder or reciprocal saw to cut the fixings, hacksaw blade works well if your'e not in a hurry!

@deema Prices for glass, my most recent (December 2022) + VAT quote for a 24mm unit was (I always use toughened):

glaas.png

Being as it was fitted 6 years ago, and presumably that was replacing an old window, the new one probably slotted fairly tightly into the opening from outside , so it should be an easy removal.
If it were properly built in, it'd take a bit more work to free it, but this should be an easy one.

Back