Aaaarrgggghhhh, f@cxing ebay again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
I am joining the I Hate eBay club now.

Saw a a lovely jet 22/44 come up yesterday, with all the accessories, with a starting price of £500, and it was very local to me in Trafford Park so easily picked up, 3 days to run.

Dropped him a couple of questions about it and asked what his reserve was so I knew where I was starting off. No answer.

Just checked this morning and it's gone! Listing ended with a Buy it Now of £500!!! WTF! It wasn't a BIN originally! Someone's obviously made the offer, or it was put up as a short listing with the intention of one particular person buying it, but he's lost himself money as I would have gone up to about £700 for it.

Might email him and tell him so, see if he cares...

Grrrrrrrr :evil:

Ebay is trying to stop BIN being set up after the event...some are greedy and they ignore this and do deals offline anyway.

I think FleaBay is so very big now it really hasn't got the will nor ability to police it....though they have active measures in place to detect these things.

I have been on eBay since 1999 and am more than happy with it...you just have to play the game.

Jim

Hey Tom - i'll go and collect it for you if you want. Then hold onto it until you can find me :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Mark

It's possible he's had an offer much higher than the £500 starting price but left it at that on ebay to cut the commision whilst getting the true amount in cash on collection.

Surprised he didn't just withdraw from sale altogether though. was there a bid on it at the starting price?

I'm with jimi43 as I think you just need to accept the limitations of ebay, play the game and accept you're going to lose many of the items - but - the one's you score on make it worthwhile :)

Bob

i forwarded the details on that one to mike c about ten mins after it was listed, and it was listed with a £500 buy it now, so not sure why you didn,t get that option but ut was definitely there,Mark

markwuzere":2bvh6614 said:
i forwarded the details on that one to mike c about ten mins after it was listed, and it was listed with a £500 buy it now, so not sure why you didn,t get that option but ut was definitely there,Mark
Hmmmm, you've got me wondering now...

When I looked at it the starting bid was £500, definitely no BIN or I would have broken his arm off, and it said reserve not met, hence the reason I emailed to find out what his reserve price was.

Weird. Ah well, SWMBO has said she will buy me a new one as a present when she gets some money she is owed from work, so I'm happy again. :D

For once my reasoning for 'needing' one was believed and has paid off big time! WooHoo. :D

I don't have these sort of problems Mark. I can't afford to buy anything! :lol:

Roy.

TrimTheKing":11gcm7zl said:
markwuzere":11gcm7zl said:

When I looked at it the starting bid was £500, definitely no BIN or I would have broken his arm off, and it said reserve not met, hence the reason I emailed to find out what his reserve price was.

Weird. Ah well, SWMBO has said she will buy me a new one as a present when she gets some money she is owed from work, so I'm happy again. :D

For once my reasoning for 'needing' one was believed and has paid off big time! WooHoo. :D

got mine last week fantastic bit of kit you wont be disapointed, just make sure there are 2 of you to lift it :lol:

markwuzere":h89dluwx said:
TrimTheKing":h89dluwx said:
markwuzere":h89dluwx said:

got mine last week fantastic bit of kit you wont be disappointed, just make sure there are 2 of you to lift it :lol:

Hi Mark, as you know I very much appreciate you marking my card re the above, but I never saw the buy it now option either. As I said to you £500 was an excellent price with both the extensions and the base included, so I would have bought it straight away if there had been a BIN price.

dung you have even got me thinking about it now. Did I really miss a BIN?

What ever the case is thank you for the heads up.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2bekojzb said:
dung you have even got me thinking about it now. Did I really miss a BIN?
No Mike, you didn't. It was definitely a £500 starting price with no BIN. Unless he set a BIN at the start when Mark saw it, then changed it, then changed again for some bizarre reason.

Like I say, I would have snapped it up had there been a BIN, and I emailed him to ask various Q's based on that fact. Shame either way as I would have given him a lot more for it than he has got by ending it early. :duno:

His loss.

Simple. Someone offered him what he considered a good price. He edited the auction to add the buy it now, the buyer hit the button, the deal was done. The seller probably did it this way so that both parties retained the protection of eBay\PayPal. Which is silly because you still get all the protection from PayPal, even if you don't use eBay. He keeps his fees to a minimum this way, but still loses the listing fees. Strange way to work. But it's not unusual.

I'd like one, but no room I'm afraid. Especially now I have the CNC bug. But on the other hand, one might come in handy for that... :-k :lol:

TrimTheKing":2cz753nc said:
I am joining the I Hate eBay club now.

Saw a a lovely jet 22/44 come up yesterday, with all the accessories, with a starting price of £500, and it was very local to me in Trafford Park so easily picked up, 3 days to run.

Dropped him a couple of questions about it and asked what his reserve was so I knew where I was starting off. No answer.

Just checked this morning and it's gone! Listing ended with a Buy it Now of £500!!! WTF! It wasn't a BIN originally! Someone's obviously made the offer, or it was put up as a short listing with the intention of one particular person buying it, but he's lost himself money as I would have gone up to about £700 for it.

Might email him and tell him so, see if he cares...

Grrrrrrrr :evil:

what tom said

also not to be harsh but bottom line if you were prepared to go to 700 notes for it why didnt you just max bid 700 notes - if that was over his reserve he'd have seen it and not taken 500 from someone else , if it wasnt then you'd have been no worse off as the machine would have gone for morethan you were prepared to pay .

big soft moose":27t1bifm said:
what tom said

also not to be harsh but bottom line if you were prepared to go to 700 notes for it why didnt you just max bid 700 notes - if that was over his reserve he'd have seen it and not taken 500 from someone else , if it wasnt then you'd have been no worse off as the machine would have gone for morethan you were prepared to pay .
Agreed, but I asked him a few questions about the condition of it first, that's why.

I'm not going to bid £700 on something that has very little in the way of detail in the listing, would you?

I've probably confused things a bit. I'm well aware of the 'game' and how it's played, this is more about the fact that it's a feckin stupid game and people should stick to the pineapple rules and leave the auction to run.

I know Tom has done this before, and others, and that's fine, and I'm not saying I won't ever do it, but on this occasion I am p!ssed! :roll: :twisted:

Anyway, it doesn;t really matter that much either way, there will be another along soon, and if not then wifey will treat me for being such a good boy and doing all these jobs around the house while I'm off on paternity leave :D

If you were selling something that you expected a tenner for and someone offered you £20, you'd take it. Simple Maffamatics. :wink:

TrimTheKing":1liwhx5o said:
but on this occasion i am p!ssed! :roll: :twisted:

you sholdnt have drunk so much then ;) - mind you i'm magnerslated so i'm not one to talk. :D

i get what you re saying tho blue no worries -

thers two axminster drum sanders on ebay as we speek - one is a 36 incher, currently standinggg at 500 notles , 20 h to go , in newcastle and another whichh is senior , just over 2ft and is 575 bIn - in ilklestone , derb

big soft moose":1yhe3vg3 said:
TrimTheKing":1yhe3vg3 said:
but on this occasion i am p!ssed! :roll: :twisted:

you sholdnt have drunk so much then ;) - mind you i'm magnerslated so i'm not one to talk. :D

i get what you re saying tho blue no worries -

thers two axminster drum sanders on ebay as we speek - one is a 36 incher, currently standinggg at 500 notles , 20 h to go , in newcastle and another whichh is senior , just over 2ft and is 575 bIn - in ilklestone , derb

oh dear - drunk in charge of a computer , thats not like me :^o

anyway translated from drunkard - there are two axminster drum sanders on ebay at present - both for about 500 notes ( tho the 36 incher might have closed by now)

Latest posts

Back