A reluctant farewell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say as a relatively new member I found this forum without actually looking for it, I was researching bandsaws a couple of years back and there was a thread about r/p bs300 and it confirmed what I was thinking, of course I could only go so far before the ( you need to be a member to read any further posts ) but as I’m not a fan of social media in general I didn’t join. A few months back however I did and I’m glad I did as I believe I’ve helped others especially those new to woodworking. I’m not bothered about likes , or reaction scores and such like because I’ve always got a good feeling by helping others be it woodwork or plumbing or gas related issues. Yes some members are happy to give my posts a like , some respond with a direct thank you others don’t comment at all- either way I’m only giving advise based on my personal experiences on what I know has worked for me . others will have different ideas and express their opinions and that’s what I like about this forum. When I joined my mental health was at an all time low but my councillor said I
talking to people is a good way to feel better and if you can help others as well then it’s a double whammy. So even tho I’ve not been here long it’s a bit sad to hear of a member leaving whatever the reason. Sawtooth 9 have you ever wondered why some threads go unanswered ( I have) yet as soon as you post a reply often others follow. Anyway hope you stay with us but good look to you if you don’t.

I might " hang around " for a while .
There is so much skill and experience on this site, that I no longer felt I could be of any real value or help
Hey, sawtooth, you hang on in here mate, you might not know what people think of what you do but it don't matter, you know what you are doing and that is all that matters, I have been reading what you do for a while and I enjoy it.
For me I was helped when I started by a friend that would not take anything in return and that Is how I work now I pass on advise if needed or help in other ways, so keep it coming.

Glad you decided to hang around. 😁 You have great skill in areas where others don't. There are some very talented people on here who know about doing fine woodwork with hand tools, then others like myself. I can just about tell the difference between wood and metal, I'm more into coarse woodwork and doing everything using machines. Life is too short for me to plane a bit of wood by hand when I can blast it through the planer. I still appreciate why people get pleasure from using hand tools. My main love is metalwork, I love old machinery and making things from scrap, or old furniture. There is a huge range of different experiences. I chip in wherever I can. Most contributions I make go un-noticed, but every so often I can help someone and that always feels good. Even then people don't give thanks. busy lives today.

I chip in wherever I can. Most contributions I make go un-noticed, but every so often I can help someone and that always feels good. Even then people don't give thanks. busy lives today.
I am a big user of other members expertise.
Some suggestions I use outright, others I modify to suit my particular need and yet others plant a kernal of an idea in my brain which gets filed away for future reference.
And I have been a bit remiss in hitting the 'Like' button which I intend to rectify, and sincerely hope that members will continue to share their knowledge with us all. It is appreciated.

I'm not complaining, just an observation that people often post something, get lots of really good advice, then are gone without any thanks. I'm sure I have done it, just too focussed on the issue, then you get it sorted and move on to the next problem and forget.

@sawtooth-9 , sorry got you mixed up with a poster on another forum who is getting rid of their heavy stuff. Glad to see you are going to stick around

These forums are what they are because of all of us contributing what we can as a collective and we enjoy both helping others and learning from others because no one can know or have experienced everything. I am sixty years old and worked in many industrial fields with many good people but I have learnt so much from these forums with regards to woodworking and machinery, sometimes it is just a snippet of information that breaks the stalemate or opens a door enough for me to progress and get something done,

people often post something, get lots of really good advice, then are gone without any thanks
Is that not just life, how many people have we helped or given up a day or so to help but got not even a thanks in return, just don't forget them so when they next come round for a favour you know better.

Last week a young mum and her 2 year old son broke down outside my flat - i outside to see what the problem was - the kid was screaming the mom was obviously in a state -turns out she’s run out of fuel on the way to take her child to hospital, so I reassured her told her to stay in the car for safety and went back to my flat, retrieved my can of mower petrol and poured it in , started her car while she comforted her child and off she went with a flurry of thank you,s and your a lifesaver etc . Felt so good that I could help her on her way - anyway next day same car outside and a knock at my window- her dad had come to thank me in person, return a can of petrol and offer me a small reward which I declined- I asked how the child was and was told he had a high temperature and fever but was stable and comfortable- that’s all the reward I need I told him -we shook hands and that was that . So some people will go the extra mile to thank you while others can barely crack a smile. It’s just the world we live in ..

Is that not just life, how many people have we helped or given up a day or so to help but got not even a thanks in return, just don't forget them so when they next come round for a favour you know better.
I don't bother if people don't thank me. If I have managed to help, I'm happy. It doesn't stop me from helping them in future.

yep, I will hang around and contribute where I think it may be of some value.
Thanks all

The problem being you don't know what is of value and what isn't. Sometimes what not to do is of more value than what best to do.

I posted /PM'ed (can't remember which) a member here several years ago who made very high class wooden toolery with a method of improving something he'd done. He was of retiring age, and he'd not seen it done ............. I was shown it at thirteen years old at school. You should never assume everyone knows what you know. (You should of course accept there are people who know more than you.:LOL:)

The problem being you don't know what is of value and what isn't. Sometimes what not to do is of more value than what best to do.

I posted /PM'ed (can't remember which) a member here several years ago who made very high class wooden toolery with a method of improving something he'd done. He was of retiring age, and he'd not seen it done ............. I was shown it at thirteen years old at school. You should never assume everyone knows what you know. (You should of course accept there are people who know more than you.:LOL:)
This is so true , I was stuck on a job once at b. gas and phoned for assistance. My manager said a technical engineer is nearby and will come round as soon as he’s finished his current job . Out came this engineer straight out of training and young enough to be my grandson- I didn’t know him but asked myself “ what the hell does he know that I don’t “ wrong assumption completely- did you turn the pilot light out he asked -yes of course I did ( to test the flame failure device) I said sharply. To which he replied-it’ll be the limit stat , no chance I told him as I’ve not touched it . Well ten mins later he’d fitted a new l/ stat and blow me down the boiler fired into life . Moral of this is wether young or old we can all learn from each other. You could be old and giving advice or help to someone much younger or visa Versa - so we all have something to give and gain from this forum. For me saying thank you is just good manners but it’s so easy to forget to say thank you as someone earlier said you get caught up in your problem when the answer is given the relief sometimes overpowers the normal response of actually saying it . The sub conscious mind is very powerful and often over rides your normal thought process.

sawtooth-9
firstly, this forum is a great read while I have my breakfast....I read pretty much everything ....
coz u never know what will enlighten u.....

second,
when u depart this world everything u know and experience turns to dust....
I hope to pass on as much knowlege as poss before my turn comes.....
There will be snipets of info that perhaps few have seen or experienced....
I beg of u SIR please dont leave.....
we need people like YOU....

as a ref......I moved to Manchester 40 odd years ago, at the time u could get anything u wanted made locally.....most of the guy's I got to know worked in old mill's and railway arches....
Highly experienced and worldy wise....
Once ISO came in and the need for CNC, pretty much to a man they all quit because of the expense to up-gradeand, most went to Spain....
thats unless u need 10,000 items making....but then most would go to China.....
U can't beat experience....

sawtooth-9
firstly, this forum is a great read while I have my breakfast....I read pretty much everything ....
coz u never know what will enlighten u.....

second,
when u depart this world everything u know and experience turns to dust....
I hope to pass on as much knowlege as poss before my turn comes.....
There will be snipets of info that perhaps few have seen or experienced....
I beg of u SIR please dont leave.....
we need people like YOU....

as a ref......I moved to Manchester 40 odd years ago, at the time u could get anything u wanted made locally.....most of the guy's I got to know worked in old mill's and railway arches....
Highly experienced and worldy wise....
Once ISO came in and the need for CNC, pretty much to a man they all quit because of the expense to up-gradeand, most went to Spain....
thats unless u need 10,000 items making....but then most would go to China.....
U can't beat experience....
You are TOO kind
Whilst you earn your living in your profession, you are valued.
When you "retire" it seems like you are of no further value.
But just imagine if modern technology was no longer here - who could actually do things ?
There are some really basic things which do not change with any tech "advancements" AND who has this knowledge ? We do.

Glad touch have decided to hang about @sawtooth-9 .

I would like to say that I think of forums like this as a library.
A collection of knowledge that can be accessed by the search at any time in the future. With the added bonus of being able to ask new questions and receive answers, adding more information to the library.

I have learned many things from it and answered a few questions when I can.

Ollie

Last edited:
Back