A reluctant farewell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are TOO kind
Whilst you earn your living in your profession, you are valued.
When you "retire" it seems like you are of no further value.
But just imagine if modern technology was no longer here - who could actually do things ?
There are some really basic things which do not change with any tech "advancements" AND who has this knowledge ? We do.
I can guarantee there are so many others who feel the same as this.

I chose to retire early. Worked hard all my life, long days, lots of time away from home. Some years in, once or twice a year I'll still wake thinking "what's todays deadline ?".

I knew almost no one in my neighbourhood when I stopped. It takes time to meet people and find a few you want to spend time with. I'm not important to anyone except my family (sometimes :) ) and a couple of others. I'm happy with that.
I've made a few new friends since I stopped. As good as they get. But you don't find them the first place you go.
My experience - follow your interests, push yourself to get out, try new stuff, volunteer, don't be afraid to send a PM to someone if they are in your part of the world. Meet up for a beer even. I was never big on "networking" at work but this place actually is that.

You'll never know how just smiling at someone on the street might lift their day. It's the same here. No one's expert in everything but everyone's voice has value.

Last edited:
I've made a good few friends from this forum.......
NOTE, u dont have to live in the same part of the world or even use the same language....
I'm gonna have to learn a bit of Polish now......lol......
Sawtooth, if u lived near me u'd be made most welcome....Home made cakes n tea for sure.....
even visitors once the w/shop is built would also be made welcome.....
I have nobody here, esp anyone that works with wood or metal...but I'm a loner so I dont really care......
although there is on ex-pat locally that makes really nice pallet furniture.. "we've bought some".....
He's desperate to learn to turn wood...so as soon as I'm up and running he'll b invited round....
I have a few old turning tools I dont want, so will gift them plus help him set it all up if he wants...

As for my working life, I was always the old fart but when the dung hit the fan they came knocking....
it was the same all over the world working....most projects I was involved with ran into multi million's of £'s in engineering.....so a little use occasionally....hahaha......
wouldnt know how much I saved these firms in time and money but there are others better than me....
When apprenticed I was told that he woud teach me all that I knew but not what he know's....
that comes with years of experience......how true.....

as for networking etc I'm not much use....been a member of another forum for a few years and still cant post a photo....mmmmm....I'm just dumb at that sorta thing....
this forum is my main read of the day....during breakfast and just before my evening meal.....I'm always in the way in the kitchen....hahaha......
I don't add much here but enjoy taking part....
thanks to the moderators, it would fold I guess....
another thankless task.......
do you have a men in sheds organisation near you....they need skilled people to pass on the trade.......
life is hum-drum most of the time with the odd great moment.....live for them.....
nuff said, going back to work....

I can guarantee there are so many others who feel the same as this.

I chose to retire early. Worked hard all my life, long days, lots of time away from home. Some years in, once or twice a year I'll still wake thinking "what's todays deadline ?".

I knew almost no one in my neighbourhood when I stopped. It takes time to meet people and find a few you want to spend time with. I'm not important to anyone except my family sometimes and a couple of others. I'm fine with that.
I've made a few new friends since I stopped. As good as they get. But you don't find them the first place you go.
My experience - follow your interests, push yourself to get out, try new stuff, volunteer, don't be afraid to send a PM to someone if they are in your part of the world. Meet up for a beer even. I was never big on "networking" at work but this place actually is that.

You'll never know how just smiling at someone on the street might lift their day. It's the same here. No one's expert in everything but everyone's voice has value.

I do have to say that this post really does resonate with me. Spot on - "IMHO".

I have been on this forum for a good number of years. During that time I have asked and recieved answers to problems that I was having with various things.
I have had Likes and replies to things that I have made but the most precious information came about 2 years ago.
I posted what I thought would be my Last Project. Due to pain in my knees and ankles the pain outweighed the pleasure I got from my woodwork.
I had so many replies from all over the world suggesting things to try and hoping that I would carry on.
I took this on board and got back in my workshop. I now plan what I am going to do that day and limit my time to no more than 2 hours even sweeping up and putting the tools back in place.
Thanks to this forum at 85 I am still getting the pleasure of woodworking.
Thanks again to UKworkshop.
So sawtooth-9 please don't go you will be missed.
Alan.

Looks like my feelings are shared by many here.
It has sparked a response which I did not expect ( I thought there would be no response at all ! ) , and that in itself may be a good thing.
I am no expert in anything useful to this site - but I have "bumbled" my through very many issues - and that may be of use to some.
It looks like this thread may have brought reason to what we do.It has certainly brought my reason and expectation into reality.
For this I thank you all.

We may not have seen eye to eye in the past but that's life, and I move on, I don't post much but I do look in, & we all gain, from all contributions, stick around and I'll share my answer to your switch problem, which looks the same as mine. (y)

We may not have seen eye to eye in the past but that's life, and I move on, I don't post much but I do look in, & we all gain, from all contributions, stick around and I'll share my answer to your switch problem, which looks the same as mine. (y)
I did a little "fault finding "
The switch itself was sticky and I probably damaged the fit of the cams to the shaft. This has resulted in one of the three phases not connecting. So I have been trying to start in star, with only two phases. Plus the auxiliary contactors are not reliable - and these are used to ensure you can't start the machine whilst the changeover is in star or delta.
A new switch is on order. It may have been possible to repair the old switch, but it's unlikely I could find replacement cams for a 40 year old switch.
Thanks

You are TOO kind
Whilst you earn your living in your profession, you are valued.
When you "retire" it seems like you are of no further value.
But just imagine if modern technology was no longer here - who could actually do things ?
There are some really basic things which do not change with any tech "advancements" AND who has this knowledge ? We do.

this is something that a good friend of mine now experienced, though I think his thought about it was a little different. He worked until his late 60s in a museum as an instrument maker and then master toolmaker and kind of "nobody else can do this or will get it done". More or less the master of all masters. When he retired, he floated to another forum that's entirely beginners - I get the sense that to just turn the switch off from going with the pedal to the floor all the time and just retire to a part time highly specialized business wasn't enough.

He eventually gave up on trying to figure out how he could provided advice and have people actually take it. It's the internet - a few people took his advice. Most just wanted him to entertain them, and several others would ask for advice, then not take it, do something dumb and then be indignant when he declined to give them further advice. So, you never know what you're going to get.

But not having value to an employer or profession through the employer (or your own business) is much different than being "of no further value".

maybe it's not what you did as a profession, and maybe it's not here because this place isn't organized like a job site, but I'm sure you can find something where you will be plenty valuable even if it's local volunteer service. And there's no shame in talking about what you're interested in here and not worrying about whether or not other people find it valuable. If you worked your whole life, you're entitled to take the yoke off and do what you like rather than what you feel obligated to do.

this is something that a good friend of mine now experienced, though I think his thought about it was a little different. He worked until his late 60s in a museum as an instrument maker and then master toolmaker and kind of "nobody else can do this or will get it done". More or less the master of all masters. When he retired, he floated to another forum that's entirely beginners - I get the sense that to just turn the switch off from going with the pedal to the floor all the time and just retire to a part time highly specialized business wasn't enough.

He eventually gave up on trying to figure out how he could provided advice and have people actually take it. It's the internet - a few people took his advice. Most just wanted him to entertain them, and several others would ask for advice, then not take it, do something dumb and then be indignant when he declined to give them further advice. So, you never know what you're going to get.

But not having value to an employer or profession through the employer (or your own business) is much different than being "of no further value".

maybe it's not what you did as a profession, and maybe it's not here because this place isn't organized like a job site, but I'm sure you can find something where you will be plenty valuable even if it's local volunteer service. And there's no shame in talking about what you're interested in here and not worrying about whether or not other people find it valuable. If you worked your whole life, you're entitled to take the yoke off and do what you like rather than what you feel obligated to do.

IMO some good points there D_W. It's why (as an e.g. I spend quite a bit of time at the Zeppelin Museum - NO I never worked on airships (!!!) but working with aircraft was always something I wanted to do, and ended up doing just that. Stopping that was quite a wrench which I must confess has taken me some little time to "recover" from. Just as you say, talking to people who are normally pretty new to the subject certainly does help to keep me "alive"!

Latest posts

Back