A little truth for a change.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact is that GW is a huge worldwide business. There's something like 30,000 or more 'scientists' whose incomes from government grants etc are dependent on proving GW is anthropogenic in origin so one would do well to be very circumspect when accepting the 'facts' as put out by so called scientists and should be scrutinised carefully.
I agree that GW is a global business, however, I would imagine that fossil fuels is a huge worldwide business, please may I provide a bit of balance to your post......

what would be interesting is to find out who spent the most, I dont know the answer

https://www.desmog.com/2023/11/30/c...ction-big-oil-loophole-language-greenwashing/

https://theconversation.com/big-oil...-lobbying-to-keep-fossil-fuels-flowing-198286

https://www.desmog.com/2023/10/24/r...lobbying-campaign-to-water-down-windfall-tax/

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/20...federal-lobbying-amid-record-profits-in-2022/

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...m-lobbying-european-union-2010-climate-crisis

https://influencemap.org/report/Climate-Lobbying-by-the-Fossil-Fuel-Sector

15 minute cities...

we are entering a new revolution.....personal transport.

those e scooters etc arent going away

towns designed to have loads of cycle lanes would keep them off the pavement

and then there is robot delivery carts.....

and drones...

we arent far away from sky taxis...

Maybe not a university, but everything else should be fairly easily achievable.
The nearest town to me has a pop around 11,000 including the surrounding borough.

The town itself, inside 30 mph limit is maybe 2 miles across. It has a couple of banks, post office swimming pool etc but hasn't had a cinema. for nearly 60 yrs.
So if you lived in the town centre, it's almost a 15 minute city.

So if 11,000 people can't financially support a cinema, and in the future 15 min cities there's going to be one every 2 miles, how dense will the population need to be to make it and other services viable?

The nearest town to me has a pop around 11,000 including the surrounding borough.

The town itself, inside 30 mph limit is maybe 2 miles across. It has a couple of banks, post office swimming pool etc but hasn't had a cinema. for nearly 60 yrs.

So if 11,000 people can't financially support a cinema, and in the future 15 min cities there's going to be one every 2 miles, how dense will the population need to be to make it and other services viable?
I think you may be missing the point - 15 minute cities aren't supposed to give you everything you want, they're supposed to give you everything you need - you don't need a cinema. There is however, nothing to stop you travelling to a cinema a bit further away. It's not like you wouldn't be allowed to leave a 15 minute city, just that it would be more convenient for its denizens on a day to day basis. No-one would be locking you in...

I think you may be missing the point - 15 minute cities aren't supposed to give you everything you want, they're supposed to give you everything you need -
The goal posts have quickly moved.

So three litres of water and 2000 calories within a 15 minute walk?

Not a bad discount hardware shop although.

Look up 'False Dichotomy'
A scientist will not face end-of-career for having a different view if they can show the evidence that supports the view. Informed scientific debate happens and when the evidence for one position outweighs another scientists are happy to change their position if needed.
A scientist who ignores counter evidence and/or fakes data to support their position will be found out and suffer career limitation. I was a scientist once (for about 15 years). I have seen this process in action.
If you truly disbelieve anthropogenic climate change despite the evidence then there is plenty of funding available from the likes of Shell, Exon and their friends.
Re-read what I've written, I've never excluded anthropogenic origins as a contributor to climatic change, it's the blatant misuse of weak data as that used by Mann et al which infuriates me.
I often listen to comments made by so called scientists and half of them talk the proverbial. The average person could be forgiven for being taken in by some of the claims but not everyone is.
As for your assertions about disagreeing with the consensus and how it doesn't affect employment in the field, just try asking those who've disagreed and have been effectively marginalised by a closed shop GW brigade acting much like a hardline religion where no one can even question the evidence.
It's a great money spinner for those who make their living from it so why would they let heretics ruin their livelihood?

The consensus science of the 1970s was that we are heading back to an ice age which based on geological history is quite probable if not inevitable. If we accept that we are in an interglacial period and that we are we are affecting the climate with our CO2 which is claimed to be warming the planet then arguably that is a good thing as the alternative would be for the ice sheets to advance across much of Northern Europe which could happen in the space of a lifetime and would cause famine and a mass exodus of populations further south which would inevitably lead to wars and millions of deaths through food shortages. I know which one I'd prefer.

Sorry but I don't agree with you.
We had scientific evidence claiming that Saddam had WMDs when in fact he did not nor could he have deployed missiles that could be launched to attack the West. A whole country was decimated and hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives because of so called evidence which turned out to be a pack lies.

You can accept the claims of whoever you wish but I have sufficient knowledge of the subject to understand what is being claimed through manipulated data and from my perspective much of it is highly questionable and not nearly so convincing as you and others believe.

While on the subject of data manipulation would you care to comment on Mann's deliberate exclusion of data that would have invalidated his own Hockey Stick argument? He deliberately left out important data in order to prove a flawed argument and the IPCC fell for it. So much for the science surrounding GW eh!

Again, if the UK was switched off tonight and left switched off for a whole year how much do you suppose it would reduce the global CO2 output? With everything switched off and no energy being used to create CO2 then the maximum saving in world figures would a 1.03%!
The top six contributors (China, America, India, Russia, Japan and Germany ) between the produce over 60% of the anthropogenic atmospheric CO2. Britain is in 17th place in the table of CO2 contributors.

The whole GW thing needs a re-think and realism needs to step in.
We can't simply reverse what is claimed by the so called consensus science. That will take decades to achieve and could be undone with just a few natural occurrences of volcanism.
Instead of the wasted funding being focussed on proving GW exists whatever the cause, the logical answer is to use the funding to help people adapt to climatic changes instead of it going into the pockets of those academics who benefit from protracting the climate alarmism which has been prevalent this past two decades.

Here's a simple question for all you Global Warming, Greta loving enthusiasts.

If you were a 'scientist' whatever that means and disagreed with the so called consensus opinion of the other so called scientists, would you speak out or would you just bite your tongue knowing full well that to do so would effectively be an end to your career, which it effectively would be given that so many of these so called consensus scientists are dependent upon government funding for their livelihoods.

I'd argue that irrespective of whether correct or not, the consensus opinion is like a religion which is infallible. There is absolutely no allowance for dissent and anyone disagreeing must be destroyed.
You have to be very careful when accepting the word of so called cotemporary scientists. For instance when Alfred Wegener proposed the theory of continental drift back in the early 20th Century he was poo pooed by the consensus peer scientists who mocked him. It wasn't until the 1960s that he was proved correct and is now accepted as fact proving the consensus opinion of that time was completely wrong so treat each argument with suspicion before accepting it as correct.

Also how does one explain the deliberate suppression of facts in Mann's 1998 Hockey Stick analogy used to explain the so called rise in global temperatures since the industrial period took off, therefore influencing the IPCC? He and his compadres conveniently left out the Medieval Warming Period and The Little Ice Age all based on a tree ring study of a single tree which would have completely changed the argument.

We always hear about how much the temperature has risen since the 1860s when records began properly but the scientists conveniently forget to point out that the Little Ice Age only ended around the 1860s so it wouldn't be out of sync to expect that there would be a temperature rise from about that time irrespective putting it all down to industrialisation. It is also the whole basis for net zero and the 2 degree figure which must not be crossed today.

The fact is that temperatures certainly in the Northern Hemisphere have been rising over the past 20,000 years since the last ice age ended. Here in the UK, there was no North Sea until just over 8,000 years ago. Up to that point we were part of the European land mass and not a series of islands as the UK is today. Up to 20,000 years ago there was ice up to 2 miles thick resting on the UK, evidence for this are the raised beaches due to isostatic adjustment which can be found.
The climate according to geological records has never been stable and we are in one of a series of interglacial stages so temperatures will fluctuate.

Now before the usual mob wheels out the climate denier label for me, let me point out that I am in no way a climate denier or disagree that anthropogenic production of so called greenhouse gasses is not impacting on our climate but it's the use of flawed data and research with which I disagree.
I do have an Hons degree in geophysics and geology and have studied the effects of GW for over 30 years so I perhaps understand a little more than the average punter so to speak.

The fact is that GW is a huge worldwide business. There's something like 30,000 or more 'scientists' whose incomes from government grants etc are dependent on proving GW is anthropogenic in origin so one would do well to be very circumspect when accepting the 'facts' as put out by so called scientists and should be scrutinised carefully.
These facts will have huge impacts in the years to come.
V interesting post, though I'm not a fan of being labelled a 'Greta loving enthusiast' just because I think that we might be on the verge of a climate shift that will be bad for our children, and might be preventable.

I have been a scientist, and know many, and the struggle to fund research is real, as is the bias that results from it. I remember being very keen to study phylotaxy (plant growth patterns) back in the day, and ending up doing a PhD in animal things instead because there was a lot more money in it. The funding didn't bias my results, but it did bias the type of PhD that I did. Currently I work in AI, and the plethora of new projects, companies and products with 'generative AI' or 'large language model' mentioned somewhere says more about the available funding than anything else.

I've also seen how hard it can be to change consensus, but consensus does change. I guess the question is, are we in one of those moments where (for whatever reason) the prevailing view is demonstrably wrong?

I'm unfamiliar with climate field reconstruction as a field, but if I need to I can get my head around it I expect. Do we really need to go that deep though, as individuals? Is the field so hopelessly divided or out of touch that all summaries are suspicious? Genuine question, since it's broadly your own field.

Wikipedia implies that it is indeed necessary to go deep, as it has a v detailed review of how the controversy unfolded in the literature. Quoting a para from the summary:

More than two dozen reconstructions, using various statistical methods and combinations of proxy records, support the broad consensus shown in the original 1998 hockey-stick graph, with variations in how flat the pre-20th century "shaft" appears.[12][13] The 2007 IPCC Fourth Assessment Report cited 14 reconstructions, 10 of which covered 1,000 years or longer, to support its strengthened conclusion that it was likely that Northern Hemisphere temperatures during the 20th century were the highest in at least the past 1,300 years.[14] Further reconstructions, including Mann et al. 2008 and PAGES 2k Consortium 2013, have supported these general conclusions.

So, viewing the field as a whole, today, we are not just reviewing the conclusions from one study of the rings of one tree, are we? In your view, is the conclusion that the earth is rapidly warming safe? Is the conclusion that some of the warming is because of us safe? And if so, is the conclusion that we might be able to slow it reasonable?

..... the simple fact that CO2 IS NOT the main driver now of climate warming.
I can see your confusion here.
Yes there are other "insulating" gasses/vapours with lesser or greater insulating effects, but the main cause of increasing warming is increasing levels of CO2, generated by our activities.
If we had increasing water vapour levels it too would be a cause, but it is not increasing - there is the water cycle, which you would have learnt at school but have obviously forgotten.
On the other hand CO2 is relatively stable once it is up there, and although there is a parallel carbon cycle we are putting more into it without taking anything out, mainly by burning fossil fuels but also by deforestation and land use.
You ought to check your facts if you are interested - there's no point in posting stuff which is simply inaccurate, it's boring and a waste of time and space!

PS forgot to add - GW puts more water vapour in the atmosphere, but this is rapidly brought down to earth as increased rainfall - one of the potentially disastrous consequences of CC.

Last edited:
Re-read what I've written, I've never excluded anthropogenic origins as a contributor to climatic change, it's the blatant misuse of weak data as that used by Mann et al which infuriates me.
Have you evidence of weak data?
I often listen to comments made by so called scientists and half of them talk the proverbial. The average person could be forgiven for being taken in by some of the claims but not everyone is.
As for your assertions about disagreeing with the consensus and how it doesn't affect employment in the field, just try asking those who've disagreed and have been effectively marginalised by a closed shop GW brigade
Do you know of anybody marginalised in this way?
acting much like a hardline religion where no one can even question the evidence.
It's a great money spinner for those who make their living from it so why would they let heretics ruin their livelihood?

The consensus science of the 1970s was that we are heading back to an ice age which based on geological history is quite probable if not inevitable.
No it was not the consensus - it was just a hypothesis. Global warming was known about and the hope was that melting ice caps would spread cold towards equators and the "albedo effect" of snow and ice would reflect heat and bringing about cooling, possibly the mechanism behind the cycle of previous ice ages. Unfortunately this was not to be!
If we accept that we are in an interglacial period and that we are we are affecting the climate with our CO2 which is claimed to be warming the planet then arguably that is a good thing as the alternative would be for the ice sheets to advance across much of Northern Europe which could happen in the space of a lifetime and would cause famine and a mass exodus of populations further south which would inevitably lead to wars and millions of deaths through food shortages. I know which one I'd prefer.
The main feature of the "holocene" era has been stability.
Sorry but I don't agree with you.
We had scientific evidence claiming that Saddam had WMDs
No we didn't. We had guesswork by crackpot politicians
when in fact he did not nor could he have deployed missiles that could be launched to attack the West. A whole country was decimated and hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives because of so called evidence which turned out to be a pack lies.

You can accept the claims of whoever you wish but I have sufficient knowledge of the subject to understand what is being claimed through manipulated data and from my perspective much of it is highly questionable and not nearly so convincing as you and others believe.

While on the subject of data manipulation would you care to comment on Mann's deliberate exclusion of data that would have invalidated his own Hockey Stick argument? He deliberately left out important data in order to prove a flawed argument and the IPCC fell for it. So much for the science surrounding GW eh!
That is sheer nonsense and refuted many times
Again, if the UK was switched off tonight and left switched off for a whole year how much do you suppose it would reduce the global CO2 output? With everything switched off and no energy being used to create CO2 then the maximum saving in world figures would a 1.03%!
The top six contributors (China, America, India, Russia, Japan and Germany ) between the produce over 60% of the anthropogenic atmospheric CO2. Britain is in 17th place in the table of CO2 contributors.
Yes it's a global problem. And even your 1.03% would make a difference.
The whole GW thing needs a re-think and realism needs to step in.
It is being continually re-thought and revised. This is how science works
We can't simply reverse what is claimed by the so called consensus science. That will take decades to achieve and could be undone with just a few natural occurrences of volcanism.
Dead right . It's a big issue
Instead of the wasted funding being focussed on proving GW exists whatever the cause, the logical answer is to use the funding to help people adapt to climatic changes
How do you adapt to floods, drought, fires, rising sea levels, agricultural failures....etc etc?
n.b. It's happening now, not something we are waiting for 20 years down the line. Populations are already on the move, hence the so-called migration crisis.

instead of it going into the pockets of those academics who benefit from protracting the climate alarmism which has been prevalent this past two decades.
Nonsense. They are paid to do their job.
If anything they haven't been alarmist enough - somewhat overcautious in bringing the bad news in the face of hysterical opposition. In fact the general feeling is that everything is happening sooner than forecast and surprising even the scientists.

Last edited:

More than two dozen reconstructions, using various statistical methods and combinations of proxy records, support the broad consensus shown in the original 1998 hockey-stick graph, with variations in how flat the pre-20th century "shaft" appears.[12][13] The 2007 IPCC Fourth Assessment Report cited 14 reconstructions, 10 of which covered 1,000 years or longer, to support its strengthened conclusion that it was likely that Northern Hemisphere temperatures during the 20th century were the highest in at least the past 1,300 years.[14] Further reconstructions, including Mann et al. 2008 and PAGES 2k Consortium 2013, have supported these general conclusions.
"Political disputes led to the formation of a panel of scientists convened by the United States National Research Council, their North Report in 2006 supported Mann's findings with some qualifications, including agreeing that there were some statistical failings but these had little effect on the result."

I started to speculate on the size of a community that could make the 15 minute city a reality, supporting day to day needs, not the occasional or specialist.

Six supermarket chains account for ~80% of food sales and have ~8000 stores - some full size some more limited - about one for each 9000 people. Other familiar chains - M&S have ~1000 and Boots ~2000 stores - they need a population of 35-70k to be viable.

There are ~4000 state secondary schools in the UK which provide 90%+ of 11-16 education, each of which averagely has 850 pupils. Averagely each state school needs a local population of ~17k.

There are ~6500 GP surgeries in the UK - each averagely supporting ~10k of population.

Assuming simplistically that all services are in the centre of the 15 minute city suggests a diameter of ~2km so that on foot all can reach services within ~15 minutes. This gives an area of 3.1sq km.

Urban population densities vary greatly - London is ~5500 sq km, I suspect many smaller urban areas are less densely packed. Assuming (say) 3000 sq km would give a community size of ~9000.

There are ~200 "full service" hospitals in the UK + ~1800 providing services based on local needs - eg: community, specialist, A&E etc. Assuming 1000 hospitals providing a range of services (eg: A&E, 24x7 operation, outpatients, general surgery etc) is one for every 70000 population.

CONCLUSION

The 15 minute city is probably a community with a population of 10-15000. At that size choices (schools, shopping, healthcare etc) would be limited without major changes in the scale and way services are currently provided.

Hospitals as currently structured (large and monolithic) could not deliver the 15 minute concept and would likely need either radical changes (back to local "cottage" hospitals, smaller A&E, roving outpatients) or acceptance that they cannot be part of the 15 minute ideal.

Employment - some businesses already flourish in small communities, others require mass to be economically viable. Career development and staff recruitment would be constrained by a small pool of talent and opportunities.

Rather than communities isolated geographically from one another, the15 minute concept works much better if applied to communities within a larger urban area of (say) 1-200000 people with travel to adjacent communities enabling consumer choice and economies of scale.

The descriptor "city" needs to be replaced with "community" as the former has the implication of an isolated unit - the latter is part of a greater whole and a far greater chance of success.

What bodies will we accept pronouncing on climate change?

Any more suggestions?

(1)"Multiple independent studies over the past 19 years have found that between 90 and 100 per cent of scientists agree that humans are responsible for climate change, with most of the studies finding a 97 per cent consensus.

A 2021 study found a greater than 99 per cent consensus on human-induced climate change in the peer-reviewed scientific literature (reviewed by expert in the same field prior to publication) - a level of certainty similar to that of the theory of evolution.
"

(2)"Human activities, principally through emissions of greenhouse gases, have unequivocally caused global warming, with global surface temperature reaching 1.1°C above 1850–1900 in 2011–2020. Global greenhouse gas emissions have continued to increase, with unequal historical and ongoing contributions arising from unsustainable energy use, land use and land-use change, lifestyles and patterns of consumption and production across regions, between and within countries, and among individuals (high confidence)."
(3)"Climate change is impacting human lives and health in a variety of ways. It threatens the essential ingredients of good health – clean air, safe drinking water, nutritious food supply and safe shelter – and has the potential to undermine decades of progress in global health."

Have you evidence of weak data?

Do you know of anybody marginalised in this way?

No it was not the consensus - it was just a hypothesis. Global warming was known about and the hope was that melting ice caps would spread cold towards equators and the "albedo effect" of snow and ice would reflect heat and bringing about cooling, possibly the mechanism behind the cycle of previous ice ages. Unfortunately this was not to be!

The main feature of the "holocene" era has been stability.

No we didn't. We had guesswork by crackpot politicians

That is sheer nonsense and refuted many times

Yes it's a global problem. And even your 1.03% would make a difference.

It is being continually re-thought and revised. This is how science works

Dead right . It's a big issue

How do you adapt to floods, drought, fires, rising sea levels, agricultural failures....etc etc?
n.b. It's happening now, not something we are waiting for 20 years down the line. Populations are already on the move, hence the so-called migration crisis.

Nonsense. They are paid to do their job.
If anything they haven't been alarmist enough - somewhat overcautious in bringing the bad news in the face of hysterical opposition. In fact the general feeling is that everything is happening sooner than forecast and surprising even the scientists.
I'll bow to your superior knowledge as you have obviously studied the subject at length and then when I've time I'll come back and ask you to explain a few facts that need further explanation.
I'm sure you will have all the answers but might I suggest you don't rely upon Wikipedia as very often it contains many errors due to it being freely edited by people with agendas or who don't know what they are talking about but think they do.

Latest posts

Back