7 x 3 Joists for Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim123

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I've managed to get hold of some nice lengths of 7 x 3 joists and am planning to make a dining table out of it. The top will be straightforward enough but i'm looking to try and do something different design wise for the legs. Has anyone got any ideas/photos? If i've got any spare then i may also make a matching bench to go with it,

Thanks Gents

3" is quite thick for a top - not much room for rails underneath without people not being able to get their legs under easily. So consider a rail-less design. Think where sitters' legs go for each place setting, and think structure that accomodates this. If the top's 3' wide or more you can introduce bracing struts centrally. You haven't told us the top size or the normal / max no of sitters!

That's a good point about the need for sufficient space under.
You've not told us much about what you have in mind but the simplest design option would be the refectory table - a long plank top supported on narrow trestles which are each a squarish frame mortise and tenoned together.

Thanks for this gents.

I'm looking at seating between 6/8 people as the lengths i have are pretty long. Something ideally that would be a nice big lump to have Xmas dinner on (i know it's July and red hot outside but it's the best way to describe it). Something rustic looking without it looking like it's been thrown together as well.

A quick image search on 'refectory table' should give you lots of ideas.

Back