UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Then there was three :p

Done three tiller handles for a member of the boat club

IMG_1170.jpg

he then said how much do I owe you ?

I said " I will leave that up to you "

He then gave me £10 :cry:

Probably did not even cover the material costs !!

Still , lesson learnt

£10???? I did a lesser favour for a friend (sorted out the viruses on his computer), and he brought 6 really top notch bottles of wine round. It really was a favour I owed to him, he didn't need to spend so much, but was certainly appreciated.

I'd have made it clear they pay material costs up front, and then a "contribution" towards workshop costs, sandpaper, oil, cutting tools & sharpening, and finally expecting an actual "gift" or "thankyou" yourself.

That wouldn't even buy a nice pub lunch for you and the missus for your time.

Adam

Blister Blister Blister :shock: :shock:

Material at least a cost - NO discounts! Work / hours / overheads/ sundries maybe discount but not by more than 25% for a 'friend' and a good one. That's daylight robbery and I bet the word gets around.

Mind you, I have to earn a living - but neighbours, friends, friends of friends and relatives you've never heard from since you were born, cost you dearly if you let them !!

Not much for such beautiful work. Those tillers would cost a heck of a lot more each. Have a look at
this site as I suspect that you could well be asked to do a few more once others see the quality of them.

They were just a practice run on a few pieces of scrap weren't they and in future you will have to charge for the wood and the time won't you? :wink:

Pete

Hi Blister... what would it cost you to buy one from a retailer?

greater than or less than £10?

It's not all about money... do you have any credit in the good will bank at the club?

oldsoke":gn4wn01m said:
Hi Blister... what would it cost you to buy one from a retailer?

greater than or less than £10?

It's not all about money... do you have any credit in the good will bank at the club?

They would be more than £15 each to buy

I am on the committee at the Boat Club , 185 members , 11 committee , thankless task :cry:

Blister":5g6y0eyt said:

I am on the committee at the Boat Club , 185 members , 11 committee , thankless task :cry:

If you get more requests it might be an idea to get them to buy the wood and charge them a tenner or whatever you're happy with :wink:

committees: anyone who's been on one will know what you mean :lol:

This is the trouble again doing work for friends, family etc.
You feel proud and honoured to be asked to do a job,in the first place,and you think it's a start,more practice,learning curve and all that.
Then it comes to price.
If i over charge them i might not get asked again.What to do,what to do. :!: :!:
Your brain just dies on you,and this is the end result.Been their myself Blister,and lost out.
Next time sort a price out before you even start then see if they are so eager. :?:
Paul.J.

Saying all that i've just been asked to do 2 bedside lamps for my brother.
I'll take it as practicing :oops:

oldsoke":2r7v2f6n said:
Blister":2r7v2f6n said:

If you get more requests it might be an idea to get them to buy the wood and charge them a tenner or whatever you're happy with :wink:

committees: anyone who's been on one will know what you mean :lol:

I don't know about tillers for narrow boats which I think yours are for but a decent tiller in hard wood for a 30 foot cruiser will cost anything between £40 and a £100 depending on the trim.

As far as committees go, that's why God did it all himself!!!

Pete

Even for friends I work on a minimum of £10.00 per hour and materials cost because very often you don't want the jobs they are offering I up the price if I really don't want the job. :lol:

Back