£300 Mortice machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squid

Reaction score
Hi all I'm after a benchtop mortice machine I'm looking at paying £300 any advice on best machine for that money would be much appropriated thanks

Hi, at the 300 quid mark they are (seem to be) all clones. rutlands has one as does recordpower and SIP although the SIP10944 is around 100 quid dearer for what looks like the same spec. The recordpower bm16 does come with a 5 year guarantee though. I use it's bigger brother fm25 and it has been a good workhorse over the last 5 years. Try and find a deal including delivery as these tools weigh around 50KG.

Hi

For £300 you are better off with a second hand machine. I used to own a record bm16. It was fine with tiny chisels but certainly would struggle with a 12mm in anything harder than tulipwood. Also it was constantly needing adjustment and fettling.
I bought a second hand wadkin edu from the for sale section on here maybe 8 years ago now and have been much happier with that, even though its older than I am it is still going strong. It is fit for purpose and engineered properly which you cannot say about the bm16.

Ollie

Hi all I'm after a benchtop mortice machine I'm looking at paying £300 any advice on best machine for that money would be much appropriated thanks
theres one or 2 multico machines on a rather well known website currently which I cant mention.

the Multico PM12 and PM16 are both solid machines

or an HM1 if you travel further afield -although they are heavy

years ago I had a PM12 which was a fantasitc machine, fixed bed and no clamp just top restraint, which is a bit crude but the machine had solid rack and pinion and no play in the shaft or dovetail. Sadly it got stolen and I replaced it with something that was rubbish.

I have no experience of the record BM16 so cant advice on that

I apoligise if you have no interest in 2nd hand -I know it can be irritating to get posts recommending old stuff if you only want new! (sadly multico closed many years ago)

theres one or 2 multico machines on a rather well known website currently which I cant mention.

the Multico PM12 and PM16 are both solid machines

or an HM1 if you travel further afield -although they are heavy

years ago I had a PM12 which was a fantasitc machine, fixed bed and no clamp just top restraint, which is a bit crude but the machine had solid rack and pinion and no play in the shaft or dovetail. Sadly it got stolen and I replaced it with something that was rubbish.

I have no experience of the record BM16 so cant advice on that

I apoligise if you have no interest in 2nd hand -I know it can be irritating to get posts recommending old stuff if you only want new! (sadly multico closed many years ago)

Why can't you mention the website?

Hi

For £300 you are better off with a second hand machine. I used to own a record bm16. It was fine with tiny chisels but certainly would struggle with a 12mm in anything harder than tulipwood. Also it was constantly needing adjustment and fettling.
I bought a second hand wadkin edu from the for sale section on here maybe 8 years ago now and have been much happier with that, even though its older than I am it is still going strong. It is fit for purpose and engineered properly which you cannot say about the bm16.

Ollie

Blimey , Did they make them 100 years ago :D

I have one of these: Axminster Craft AC16BM Morticer bought second hand for £100.00 and its fine, does all I have asked of it for the last three years, but I don't have a lot of experience of other brands or machines so take it all at face value.

I have a PM12.
Although I have not tried morticing with it (yet) it makes a for an accurate drill and is substantially made.

Back