If you advertise your sale here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Are members aware of posting pictures of their workshop and tools that criminals scour the web looking for prospects, some members on this forum have been burgled more than once.
This as come up on another forum interest of mine where expensive items are referred to so the criminal knows there is some value around at that address.

True.
But the same is true for wherever you advertise your items. Wether that be your local paper, eBay, or any other medium. Short of selling only to people you know already, sending your stuff to strangers (which has its own drawbacks) or meeting in a car park somewhere, what are your options?

I'm not sure how dangerous it really is, but as Devonwoody says, it HAS happened - apparently.

So one option COULD be to drop the requirement to post pix with the OP, and simply have text ads saying "TS, model XYZ for Sale - Price TBA". Then anyone interested could get in touch with the buyer by PM. They then swap private E-mail addresses, send pix and agree the price all by private E-mail.

That would obviously be a more cumbersome process than at present, but should allow those worried about the present system to be more relaxed about posting pix (and by association, prices).

That would not be a MUST - members wishing to carry on as we do today could do so, and the only change to the present Forum For Sale rules would be removal of the requirement to post pix and quote a price - in other words, posting pix and price would be optional in future, rather than mandatory as today.

Personally the risk doesn't bother me, but as said, if anyone is worried, that could at least improve the present worry.

FWIW

AES

If you don't use your full name or post photos of the outside of your property, who's to know? Obviously once you forward your name and address to a purchaser you run a risk - but as Nev said, you do that no matter which way you sell.

I think, 'just be mindful' is the best option.

If you're selling a £20 item, make sure your Milwaukee tool rack isn't in the background.

phil.p":393btn2u said:
If you don't use your full name or post photos of the outside of your property, who's to know? Obviously once you forward your name and address to a purchaser you run a risk - but as Nev said, you do that no matter which way you sell.

But perhaps only post details to a member of some previous history of posting here at the forum.
(I now have a very meagre selection mainly DIY stuff so not an interested party really)

devonwoody":3ag0xkit said:
Are members aware of posting pictures of their workshop and tools that criminals scour the web looking for prospects, some members on this forum have been burgled more than once.
This as come up on another forum interest of mine where expensive items are referred to so the criminal knows there is some value around at that address.

Has anyone linked the posting here to the burglaries? At the risk of being a Debbie Downer, trying to link advertising here to crime sounds more like abductive reasoning.

A quick guess; none of the user names in this thread so far can be found in the Electoral Roll, even mine surprisingly. There are ways and means and it's wise to be careful, but not really a significant risk ATM.

I am very wary of this too. As a general rule (mainly as a buyer) I will only engage with people who I "know" from posting regularly and sensibly on here, and who in all probability also "know" me. This, I think, makes our forum a great deal safer than the likes of well known auction sites.

I've only had one negative experience on here, and that was when a member provided me with an incorrect paypal address (entirely his fault) and I had the devil's own job getting my money back. Ever since then I always check paypal email addresses before making payment.

Most people on here, as soon as you engage in a buy/sell immediately make contact by PM with real names etc, and for big things a phone call is normal, but I expect that validation through post history has in effect already occurred. It is sensible to make sure photos of goods for sale don't show the entire workshop and I also think it is unwise to give your location too exactly beneath the avatar.

A lot of sense posted above. As I said originally, not making the posting of pix and prices mandatory in the initial For Sale post would probably go some way to solving the problem, but mine was only a suggestion.

Personally I'm not bothered - I just assume (rightly or wrongly) that criminals in reach of me are going to be German or French or Italian speakers first, and would therefore be unlikely to be searching an English language Forum for "tasty titbits" to steal! I think I'm right in saying I'm the only Swiss-based member - one other did appear for a short while a year or so ago, but hasn't been seen since - AFAIK.

But for UK members, some of the ideas above make sense to me.

AES

You are not the only Swiss based member! For part of the year we live in Mannedorf! But I don't have a proper workshop there. Wife banned it.

In that case AJB, as swmbo has banned it. You've plenty of time to get me some spaeztli and Landjaegers from Migros for me :) oh I miss those little square sausages

Ah sorry AJB, I didn't realise, but I guess my general point was still valid - I just think it unlikely - at best! - that a Swiss criminal would search UKW to see what I've got in my cellar - and even then, he'd only know that I live "near Basel", which even in a little place like Schweiz still covers quite a few individual addresses!

AES

true but it's easier to pick 'em up from the county of Kent than the Canton of Zurich :D

Latest posts

Back