What would this pattern be called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
IMAG0976.jpg

if found carved into a table leg, for example.

Col.

Attachments

• IMAG0976.jpg
    IMAG0976.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 295
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the two spirals in a double helix both have the same handedness?

murrmac":1r4re055 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the two spirals in a double helix both have the same handedness?
In DNA they do, and to be pefectly honest I've never heard the term "double helix" applied to anything else, which is what made be think there has to be an olde worlde name for the pattern produced by left hand and right hand spirals crossing which also often apears in the line roller shaft of fishing reels.

In case anyone's curious Im about to cut 4 more spirals onto this workpiece which go in the opposite direction to the ones I've already done but I feel a complete berk for not knowing a name for the pattern. I'm sure there has to be one. :)

IMG_20170128_164310.jpg

Col.

Attachments

• IMG_20170128_164310.jpg
    IMG_20170128_164310.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 251
Walney Col":3b1hfhm8 said:
murrmac":3b1hfhm8 said:
In DNA they do, and to be pefectly honest I've never heard the term "double helix" applied to anything else, which is what made be think there has to be an olde worlde name for the pattern produced by left hand and right hand spirals crossing which also often apears in the line roller shaft of fishing reels.

In case anyone's curious Im about to cut 4 more spirals onto this workpiece which go in the opposite direction to the ones I've already done but I feel a complete berk for not knowing a name for the pattern. I'm sure there has to be one. :)

Col.

DIAMOND !!! I have a walking stick in that form.
P.S. I have sent you a p.m.

Just on that screwdriver, my dad had one and we kids were not allowed to play with it (also it was fun to do so, of course). When the lock is released, the shaft practically explodes. One day, my dad was doing some bar-fitting and using such a screwdriver (I forget their name), slipped and he got it in the eye. It was touch and go whether he would lose his eye. As it turned out he made a full recovery.
Just sayin'

timber":2flcyx22 said:
Walney Col":2flcyx22 said:
murrmac":2flcyx22 said:

Col.

DIAMOND !!! ...
Yes why not?.
Called diamond pattern in Durham Cathedral:

Norman-Column2-Sept05-DC4531sAAR.jpg

It's one of Britain's wildest buildings. Would have been painted in bright colours originally. Other amazing patterns too.
http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pag ... Durham.htm

Not exactly the same, but the common term as applied to woodturning is barleysugar twist. An image search for those words will get plenty of pictures of twiddly legs.

RogerP":67h8jmo7 said:
Spiral screwdriver of which Yankee is one maker. There used to be many more,

Commonly known as "pump action screwdriver" or "pump screwdriver"

Fit the screwdriver bit in the screw head, pull the handle back about a third of the way out and push down on the handle to pump the screw in. The action is like that of a pump, hence the term "Pump Screwdriver".

Mark

Most of the old catalogs call them "Spiral Ratchet" Screwdrivers I think, North Brothers (the inventers of the "Yankee" Brand) definalty did, I just checked their 1926 Catalog.

Back