Show us a carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there are a few carvers on here but I would like this thread to be broader than only being a gallery of new carvings, though that would be amazing. If you have found a carving in wood, plaster or stone, please post a photo here, or, if you know of a carving related thread on UKW you could post a link instead.

Here are some of my all time favourite carvings.

19f59499445c7c25535929302a1f2b073c05e409.jpg

x-rays of carved boxwood rosaries.

and.....................

The Adoration of the Magi and the Crucifixion from the Met. Museum.

main-image.jpg

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/464449

Oh, and Veit Stoss Virgin and Child in the VAM......Quality drapery.

77af47b14caa28c8a01140a090446952.jpg

https://www.vam.ac.uk/blog/museum-life/twenty-objects-twenty-years-veit-stoss-virgin-and-child-c1490

Last edited:
the bottom left gargoyle has a hole in his bum that doubles as a nest box.
he's been a stone Mason since he left school. tough dusty work.

I know the story of the stone chap holding the lantern and unfortuneatly people with enough cash who don't want something fashionable but original are a rare commodity.
so the majority of work for a jobbing Mason is slightly more intricate details say a change of direction in sawn coping stones. that's why so little of this is done it's not really fashionable and could be a bit Disney. as well as being quite expensive. fireplaces are a favourite job.

Johnnyb, the linen fold panels form the base of a glazed entrance screen to a modern coffee shop in a 15th century timber frame building so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are modern repro plaster casts but what are the tells so I don’t fall for that twice?

Here is my amateurish effort....

But if you want proper carving just go to Chatsworth House - the whole house is amazing but especially the oak room...

Attachments

• IMG_2614.jpeg
    IMG_2614.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I could tell the framing was from b and q jammed around the casts. also these were all identical and smooth with white bits where the brown paint was scuffed.(bossons plaster figures look similar from congleton) finally the framing has regular offset bandsaw tooth marks never present on the real deal.

Johnnyb Thankyou, the rough bandsaw work I had clocked, but I thought the panels were carving smothered in paint and up-cycled. I never knew casts of linenfold were a thing. Every day’s a school day.

The Brown Room in Tredegar House should be compulsory for any woodcarver. I used to be a guide there; it’s National Trust now but a must place to stop en route to West Wales

here's a carving I did a decade ago and fell out with but i revisited it( thanks to this thread) and I'm quite taken with it now. creative processes are an emotional journey for me. and I definitely need a bit of detachment.
I love that I never sanded it and the facets are crisp and the chisels were sharp. can't remember why I put it away.

Back