Bandsaw Cool Blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Startrite 440R was delivered with Cool Blocks (blade guides). The ceramic material is very hard so not suitable for self fabrication. I think mine would only be replaceable with spares from Record.
Brian

What's cool about them, an engineering masterpiece of design, or is that an accountant master stroke. =D>

Mike

Cool Blocks are bandsaw blade guides that can run in contact with the blade, with no clearance, without getting hot. They are great when using very narrow blades where there is very little body behind the gullet. I used to have some when I had my little Elu. They were made from Tufnol, IIRC. Very easy to make your own IF you can find a supply of Tufnol.

Edit: Lots of Tufnol in small quantities on eBay.

Rather than having two rubbing blocks would it not be better to cut a slot in one and have the back of the blade run in that?

Mike

This is about supporting the sides, Mike, not the back. Normal guides have to avoid contact with the teeth. But with narrow blades (I have some 1/16" ones), they are virtually all teeth. Avoid the teeth and there is nothing left to support. So with cool blocks you can have the guides in contact with the blade, including the teeth and the blade gets supported, yet no harm comes to the teeth.
My guides are bearings rather than blocks, so I get the same effect by sticking a disk of thin MDF to the face of the bearing. The teeth cut into it but only so far, Great support, no damage.

Tufnol as suggested by Steve is very easy to buy on line but be aware there are a number of different varieteties.

Tufnol is the leading brand name for SRBP, available in sheet and rod of various thickness. Might be advisable to drop an email to the manufacturers asking what they recommend for your application. Unfortunately it's so long ago for me I've forgotten. #-o

Bob

Steve Maskery":30g6isfe said:
. Avoid the teeth and there is nothing left to support. So with cool blocks you can have the guides in contact with the blade, including the teeth and the blade gets supported, yet no harm comes to the teeth.

?

Back