Yet another Bandsaw & PT advice question!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drudgeon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post so hi and be gentle with me... I have my own small workshop, but it's getting busier and it's time to invest in a Bandsaw and PT, I've done as much research as I can, but not having owned either of these machines before, it's very difficult to know which way to turn, budget, as ever is my main drawback, I'm looking at around £800-£900 per machine.

Does any have any views on the Axi trade range? they have both that look reasonably good and within the right price range, but I am unsure how they will stack up to other brands.

I am also open to the idea of buying a quality secondhand (pre-owned I believe is the posh name) machine, the downside of me buying second hand, would be not having owned either before, it would be hard to look for common faults.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies to all you long standing members who have probably answered this question a million times!! (I did trawl through pages and pages but couldn't find an answer to suit my budget and needs)

Regards
Dan

Hi Heatherw,
Thanks for the welcome, my work is reasonably varied, mainly cabinets, small kitchens, bedrooms, etc, my main reason for looking at these machines is that my joinery work is getting busier, and up until now I've always had my timber machined to sizes from my supplier, I'm looking to be able to buy my stock in in slab form and machine whatever I need myself, I'm hoping this will also save a considerable amount of money on material cost, although I understand there will be an increase in labour.

Many thanks
Dan

My Axminster stuff has given me reliable hobby service for ten years, but you will need to add a dust/chip extractor to your list especially for the P/T, shouldn't think you could live without it. :wink:

Welcome.

I'm upgrading my bandsaw also (from the RP BS300E). Here is my shortlist which is in your range. Might help.

I also upgraded my P/T last year and went for the Startrite SD300. I also looked at the Axy's, the Jets and the RP range. This was the best (though £1300)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 795
The 16" trade series Axy one is my current favourite. Would be record power because I really like the 5 yr warranty. I don't however like their proprietary non 3/4" mitre slots. Axy are getting close now with their 3 yr warranty. I visited Axy yesterday and that 16" saw is very sturdily built.

i have one of those axi two. It is a previous model- I am not 100% sure which it is equivalent to. It is a fantastic machine though.

a twin motor camvac and a cyclone may be a good option for dust extraction- at least that will hook up to the bandsaw too. Go for the 4" version though- the axi bandsaws certainly use that size. If you get a chip collector for the pt, it will be useless for the bandsaw.

One question Macro....I think its got two extraction ports, one top and one bottom. That all sounds a bit luxurious to me and I wouldn't use them both. What do you do? I'm talking about the 16" trade rated one incidentally.

Many thanks all for the replies,

Yes dust extraction is an essential with the PT, although I already have 3 Festool extractors :oops: none will unfortunately be man enough for the big machines, and it's about time I kitted the shop out properly for 4" rigid all round, but then I'd be very sad to not use the babies anymore!

Well the Axi machines look like they're winning at the minute, it seems to me from my research that to move up to the more well known brands I'd probably need to add another £500 to my budget for each item, and for a one man band, I just don't think I could justify it.

My other option would be to buy quality second hand machines, but from what I've seen, the good kit seems to really hold it's value and therefore very hard to find good condition kit not too old for a good price.

Any other opinions much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back