Yandles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure what I was expecting of the show but came away having enjoyed myself. It got quieter this afternoon so was easier to chat to people. Was good to meet Pete(Bodrighy) and Frugal at the meeting point. Nobody else turned up but did find many others round the show.

Lots of turning stuff there (almost a bit too much in my view). Philly seemed to have a prime spot. I know I'm going to regret not having bought one of his planes. The yandles wood store is amazing. Nobody annoying asking what you want and what grade you want. Just lots and lots of wood to rummage through.

I bought a ..... erm ... SIP TABLE SAW!!! :p Now would somebody please explain how I get it out the back of the car? I'll probably slip on the drool before I get round to opening the boxes. Thank god swmbo is away for the weekend.

Dave

davejester":1qedfqfu said:
I bought a ..... erm ... SIP TABLE SAW!!! :p Now would somebody please explain how I get it out the back of the car? I'll probably slip on the drool before I get round to opening the boxes. Thank god swmbo is away for the weekend.

Dave

Was that an impulse buy? Makes my lump of oak and mortice chisel seem like a bit of a token effort. Can't agree more about the timber store - fantastic.

Joel

Joe":1i6ddq0t said:
several coaches

I always wonder where those coaches come from. Are they woodworking clubs from elsewhere in the country? Or from abroad? Are any of those people members here?

Sounds like I missed a good show. I will make the trip down one year.

Was that an impulse buy?

Not quite. I was going to look at table saws but wasn't intending on coming back with one. The price was right and it saved me a delivery charge (as is applied by most companies with heavy stuff).

Are they woodworking clubs from elsewhere in the country?

Yep. Gloucestershire woodturning club did a coach down last year. Quite cheap if I remember correctly. Fine if you don't want to pick up big stuff. In contrast today there was only one coach I think. Nothing like some of the axminster shows I've been to when it comes to trying to get round.

Dave

WiZeR, there's another one in September, just in case you're interested. :wink:

I didn't know what to expect going in to this either, as it was also my very first woodworking show. I was very impressed with some of the turning demonstrations but my friend, who goes almost every year, was a little disappointed as they apparently didn't have as much going on as they have done previously? Maybe that'll change in September then. :)

I just couldn't get over just how many people were there - God knows what it must be like at the Ally Pally show each year!! :shock:

I'm really dissapointed with myself for not saying hello to anyone I recognised - Nick Gibbs, Philly, Tony, Mike Riley, Andy King (even though I told him I would)... Sorry guys! You all seemed to be much smaller than I imagined you would be...? :? :oops: :wink:

I'm looking forward to September already. I know have a good idea of what to expect so I'll surely feel much better prepared for it when this time comes again. :)

It reminded me of my first visit to a proper timber yard - kind of daunting, scary, not sure what to expect - but, at the same time, I'm excited by all that I can see before me! :wink:

I got down there this morning for a 'quick' look round and intending to buy nothing

5 hours later, £250 lighter, I left

I found it helps if you walk through the machinery sections with your eyes closed - it didn't matter if I walked in to anyone as people were doing that all day long anyway! :D

Go on then, what did you buy???

Can't imagine you got a planer-thicknesser for £250...?

A bit of a delay in posting but I had a great time on Friday it was crowded in the morning and some forum members I only met as we passed in the queues,
I was late to the meeting point as well but Gidion was still there along with another member who unfortunately I have forgotten his name,

As has been said Phillys stand was like a magnet and I met a number of members there and thanks to Martin have a picture of myself with David Charlsworth and Philly,

It was good to see Chas & Di again with Di keeping an eye on my purchasing :lol: I will probably go again in September,

Cheers Nigel

OPJ":hivuvwjf said:
I found it helps if you walk through the machinery sections with your eyes closed - it didn't matter if I walked in to anyone as people were doing that all day long anyway! :D

Go on then, what did you buy???

Can't imagine you got a planer-thicknesser for £250...?

quad set of bessey k clamps 650mm
quad set of bessey k clamps 1250mm
years subscription to british woodworking magazine
a fiver on a ham roll, packet of crisps and a can of coke

was also way too close to buying a leigh dovetail jig, veritas low-angle block plane and a scheppach sharpening system (had to leave before the wallet started melting)

why was no-one demonstrating dovetail jigs ?

i also visited phillys planes, never seen a wooden plane in the flesh and have to say I was very impressed

unfortunately i have a goldfish memory when it comes to faces so didn't recognise anyone !

I had a great day at Yandles today. I met up with Rob Stoakley (Woodbloke), Pete Newton (Newt) and Wanlock Dod at Rob's place and we drove together to the event. As always, the best thing about these shows is meeting up with old friends. Here's Rob (on the left) and Pete

Yandles1.jpg

And here's Wanlock Dod (on the left) with Pete

Yandles13.jpg

The undoubted star of the show was Phil Edwards (Philly) who was there demonstrating his beautiful, hand-made planes

Yandles11.jpg

He was helped on the stand by Tony Sutton

Yandles2.jpg

Martin was clearly delighted with the beautiful marking knife Rob had made for him

Yandles3.jpg

Sharing the bench with Phil was David Charlesworth who was kept busy answering plenty of questions about planes and planing

Yandles6.jpg

Andy King was his usual smiling self (he said this was his best side :? )

Yandles9.jpg

And here's Andy having a go with David's super-fettled Stanley

Yandles12.jpg

Mike Hancock from Classic Hand Tools was there with some very tempting goodies on display

Yandles8.jpg

It was nice to meet up again with Tony (Escudo) on the left, and Mike Riley

Yandles10.jpg

It was nice to meet Frugal, pictured here with Mike Hudson from Clico

Yandles7.jpg

Mike was demonstrating the full range of fabulous Clifton planes (I've almost got one of each now :oops: )

Yandles5.jpg

I even managed to get Rob to try out how well they work :D

Yandles14.jpg

All in all, a great day. Yandles certainly rates as one of the best shows 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I also senjoyed the show and it was good to meet up with Frugal and Dave (Jester). Also saw the guys in the last post but didn't recognsise them, they looked familiar but wasn't sure.
Managed to keep my wallet pretty much closed but am still wiping drool from my shirt front :lol:

Pete

Good day our Friday....i tend to go fridays as expecting it to be quieter but this year was definately the busiest iv'e seen for a few years but then most of the stalls from outside had been moved inside...
i picked up a sharpening system that i have been wanting for a while and managed to keep my hands in my pockets for the rest of the day...Met Ray (Agree) on the triton stand as he took a replacement part for my table router with him (Thank You) ...so will be trying to fit that at some point

As to coaches, i have the feeling a lot of those are also to do with the hobby centre...i seen one coming in which was full of (choose my words carefully) old biddy's obviously coming to get their cardcraft etc which was also on discount.........

Mighty_Genghis":kulrlfla said:
why was no-one demonstrating dovetail jigs ?

You must have walked past at the exact opposite times to me. Every time I walked past the Leigh dovetail jigs there was someone there demonstrating them. Also Dave Charlseworth was demonstrating the Gefkin jig

A really excellent day out and fantastic to meet up with everyone again. I was hoping to get a couple of reasonable lumps of elm but ended up with two decent pieces of quarter sawn oak that I'll use for drawer sides once they've been sliced up. I've been looking for ages to try and find some and it's quite hard to get hold of. I also got an oddment of blackwood which will hopefully provide enough for another couple of marking knives (one for Pete and another for Chisel) as well as a nice bit of ebony which ought to do a few octagonal chisel handles.

Chisel - Paul, picked up my parcel of broken blades from Philly, many thanks.

A great day out :D - Rob

Despite the problems returning home I had a complete blast. I walked in (being quite surprised that there was not an entry fee as there are for most of these kinds of events). I went into the big white tent and looked around thinking to myself "there isn't much here", then I spotted a doorway to another tent with some more stuff, then another one, then a doorway to the main Yandles shop and wood yard. Then out into another tent, and then I spotted a great big barn with even more stuff in it...

I did a quick (took about an hour) walk around and then had a chat with Philly's little helpers (Tony Sutton and Mike Riley ). Then off to Chestnut finishing to meet up at midday. I only discovered Dave (Jester) and Pete(Bodrighy) when we noticed that the three of us kept checking our watches, so I figured that it was a good bet that they were from the forums. No one else turned up that we recognised, so we went back to Philly's.

I bumped into Paul Chapman, Tony (Escudo), Martin (although I didn't know he was from the forums until I saw the photos. Although I should have known the way that he kept trying to get me to buy a Philly plane ;) ).

Dave Chareslworth is a really nice guy. He was quite happy to talk for ages and even let me try out his planes, I have picked up a few really useful hints about planing technique. Even when I admitted that I could not afford to go on his course he still kept talking to me and offering advise. Unfortunately he did not have any of his DVDs for sale, so I will have to go to his web site and order one.

After seeing how much better Dave's planes are than mine (even my brand new LN block plane is no where near as good as Dave's identical block plane ;) ), I walked about 5 feet to where Mike Hudson was demonstrating the Veritas sharpening guide. Which was certainly a cheaper purchase than a new Clifton plane ;)

I must confess I was surprised at the number of little old ladies, especially the two who tried to talk me into buying a £1,200 bandsaw ;)

The Leigh dovetail jigs looked really good, but at the same price as an Incra fence I think I will be saving up for the latter.

In the end I came away with a Veritas sharpening guide, a subscription to British Woodworking (Nick Gibbs, great guy), a bunch of veneers and some lovely Sycamore, Walnut and English Cherry for the stash (My wife knits, she understands the concept of stash ;) )

Unfortunately the journey home was not so great. As I got back to the car I felt a bit floopy. I thought I was just dehydrated, so I got a can of coke from the cafe , and then a litre of water at the services. Unfortunately the stomach bug that has been moving through the family all week caught up with me just as I walked back in the front door, so I went to bed when the kids did and I am on clear liquids for 24 hours :(

On the upside I bumped into a reenactor I know at the show and found out that Yandles is his local wood yard, so if I need wood then he can pick it up for me and pass it over at events ;)

Sounds like a grand day out was had by all. From my perspective it was a very jolly day and a pleasure to meet you all.

Cheers Mike

Mighty_Genghis":5d6ugnh3 said:
quad set of bessey k clamps 650mm
quad set of bessey k clamps 1250mm
years subscription to british woodworking magazine
a fiver on a ham roll, packet of crisps and a can of coke

was also way too close to buying a leigh dovetail jig, veritas low-angle block plane and a scheppach sharpening system (had to leave before the wallet started melting)

Looks like you got your money's worth then! I thought you might have actually gone for that bandsaw you were interested in instead. :wink:

I've got some of the cheaper Bessey uni-clamps and they're good. My understand is that the K-body clamps are more heavy-duty and have an increased clamping pressure. It's better to spend all that than it is to waste it on inferior cheap aluminium sash cramps from Screwfix. :)

For the best prices on Veritas planes, look no further than here.

I'd advise you to try cutting dovetails by hand before blowing £300 on a jig. Same with sharpening really, I've found it important to learn the basics of sharpening by hand before looking for short-cuts. You can always buy a cheaper grinder for re-grinding, any honing after that can quite easily be done by hand.

I hope you enjoy British Woodoworking as much as I do, probably your best purchase of the day, that is! :wink: I hope to have a proper :D article in there myself, very soon... :D

Are you ready to have a got at your first project yet? :)

Was a really enjoyable two days - I am exhausted :roll: :lol:
Great to see so many forum members, thanks for dropping by. Also a pleasure to share a bench with David Charlesworth - many thanks Mr C!
Also many thanks to Mike (MR) Riley and Tony Sutton for helping me out - made for smooth running (and I got to have the odd walk-about :wink: )
I have a few photo's to post once I get the camera out of the van.
Cheers
Philly :D

I throughly enjoyed my day and a bit at the show.

Great to team up with other forum members, Philly, Paul and Martin, and to meet David (DC) Ray (Triton) ,Frugal, Tony, Mike and Rob (woodbloke) for the first time. I enjoyed the company and fun. Sorry if I missed anyone.

I purchased a box full of exotic bowl blanks which I hope to fiddle with on my little lathe and a rather nice piece of Elm which Tony and Mike had their eyes on. (now I have to make something with it, to do it justice)

I was very impressed with the wood yard and wide choice of timbers which seemed reasonably priced, and with 15% discount for the show.
There was plenty to choose from as well, also some exotic timbers I had never heard tell of before.

I also had a go with David's plane and I just couldn't believe how easily it cut full width tissue paper shavings, it was like cutting butter with a hot knife. Incredible. To be fair Mike was doing a similar thing on the Clifton stall and Philly's wooden planes were beautiful and just as effective. (I'm going to commission philly to make a plane, just can't decide on which type they were all so nice.)

I did reflect on the long way home that the art of taking these shavings, and it may sound obvious, is in the sharpening. The ability to get a razor sharp edge, far sharper than I have been able to achieve to date, appears to be the key.

Yandles was an excellent show and well worth the effort to attend. I would rate this show above Ally Pally and the North of England show at Harrogate. I was surprised there wasn't a Festool stall but for the rest it was excellent.

I stayed in a very nice pub in a nearby village and had an enjoyable evening with the landlord and a few regulars. Sank a number of pints of Otter Ale straight from the barrel and ate well.

Thanks fellas for making it such an enjoyable day out. Will definately attend again.

Cheers, Esc. (Tony)

Latest posts

Back