Yandles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Escudo":lr9q1msu said:
a rather nice piece of Elm which Tony and Mike had their eyes on. (now I have to make something with it, to do it justice)
(Tony)

Ah yes the Elm... I await the finished thing with baited breath :) No pressure or anything :) As it happens I scurried away with another couple of pieces of that Elm and as soon as I got home started wishing I had bought more.

Nice to meet you Esc

Cheers Mike

Mike,

I am going to have to get my thinking cap on, to do justice to that piece of Elm. I also wish I had bought a few more chunks.

The wood yard was the highlight of the show. (Oh, and Phillys planes)

Glad to have made your acquaintance Mike. Look forward to meeting again, perhaps at Westonbirt if I can make it.

Meet you at the Elm stack! :D Cheers, Tony.

Yes having got there early on Friday it took a fair bit of willpower to not acquire several planks of very heavily figured (knotted) Elm, only the fact that there is very little room left around here for even more 'too good to give away' platters saw reason prevail. (and it wasn't me who kept caressing them).

What a lovely day!!

I spent most of it with David Charelsworth (learning little tips throughout the day and trying 'THE' Stanley #5.5 several times.), Philly (note the Philly's tools aprons he made me and Mike wear :) ) and of course having many enjoyable chats with Mike Riley (and we managed to buy some nice wood on our little purchasing expedition :wink: ).

Supremely enjoyable, and the cream on top was meeting so many forum members and chatting with them, particularly Paul, Martin and Escudo (Tony).

We were situated next to Mike Hancock of course, and my wallet is significantly emptier thanks to him and Alex, though not as much damage as when Waka was with me last year :wink: :lol:

A couple of final thoughts:

Watch for Escudo's project with the best plank in the place :evil:

After chatting with DC many times during the day, I can only say that his books are good, his DVDs generally great, but actually spending a while with him teaches you a lot more. Now about discounted short courses........

Final thought - watch out for Phiilly's favourite phrase "can you sharpen just one more blade for me please mate". My hands are still sore :lol: :lol:

I have only ever been to Yandles for their shows so do not know what it is like at other times, but I am always amazed by the stacks of sawn timber left outside drying/rotting in the open?

I always thought that timber being seasoned had to have some form of protection even if it is only a few sheets of corrugated iron?

Some of the piles have been there for years! Though the stuff inside the shed is always clean - I suppose they put it through some of their giant machinary to "spruce it up"?

Rod :?

Rod , the weather down here in the SW is very kind. :)

Couldn't imagine what the site would look like if each stack had a covering.

OPJ":24hiihpw said:
Looks like you got your money's worth then! I thought you might have actually gone for that bandsaw you were interested in instead. :wink:

For the best prices on Veritas planes, look no further than here.

Are you ready to have a got at your first project yet? :)

first project has been delayed until I can put a new ring main into my workshop, build a fence, take down a greenhouse and fit in a full-time job!

excellent link on the veritas planes, thanks for that

Back