Yandles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope everyone's looking forward to tomorrow and I hope you have good time! :D I can't make it down until Saturday now. :cry: But, the weather doesn't look too good around here at the moment, so hopefully it'll be long gone by then! :wink:

I've just returned from Yandles to set up my bench - looks like its going to be a great show!!
Just spoke to David Charlesworth - he should be there Saturday as well!
Cheers
ExcitedPhilly :D

Just seen the weather forecast - April showers Friday and Saturday - some may be heavy? :(

Sure it will not put a damper on everything though.

Rod

What ho shipmates,

I will be heading south early tomorrow, got a job to do in Birmingham on the way. Hope to arrive mid afternoon.

Book into digs and head for the fun.

Was going to take missus car, but she broke it today. (again :roll: )

Hope to see you all tomorrow and Saturday. Travel safely everyone,

Cheers, Tony.

Esc - didn't realise that you were in attendance for both days, look forward to meeting you and everyone else. Myself, Paul Chapman, Pete (Newton) and Wanlock Dod (Pete's son-in-law) will be coming down in the Landy on Saturday...hope to get there for 11.30 or maybe earlier - Rob

Could not attend last year, :cry:
But this year, yep Battlecruiser fuelled up and provisions loaded passport at the ready.

See you all in there. :wink:

Philly, half a spoon of sugar and a little milk please, and put it on Waka's Yandles account. :lol:

Sawdust Producer":1vsn2jlm said:
Could not attend last year, :cry:
But this year, yep Battlecruiser fuelled up and provisions loaded passport at the ready.

See you all in there. :wink:

Philly, half a spoon of sugar and a little milk please, and put it on Waka's Yandles account. :lol:

Sorry won't be there this year, stioll on hol's, but don't forget the moto, spend spend spend even kif you don't need it.

Waka
Thanks for the words of encouragement - good to know your are with us in spirit :lol:

By the way - I had a chat with the Management at Yandles. You have such a good standing with them they are quite happy to let us put teas, coffees and snacks on your account and let you settle up with them on your return. :wink:
When you go to pay for something just use the password, "GLOAT", to put the item on his account.
Look forward to your return,
NaughtyPhilly :D

In that case Philly I'll take a couple of your planes please. Charge it to the GLOAT account. :p

Cheers,

Dave

Just returned, really enjoyed meeting people of old times, but sorry I missed the 12pm meet as I was chatting to a local and the time just flew. :(

Very impressed with Philly's stand and the quality of the planes on show. 8)

Waka, I bet you would wish to be there instead of loafing about on sun loungers and eating green curry and rice. :D

Great show and very busy - a good turn out I think?
Also missed the 12 noon meet - busy choosing some wood.
Not so much in easier to handle pieces this year I thought but managed to get a bit anyway.
The weather was a bit iffy and the wind quite cold but did not spoil things.
Philly was very busy with a lovely collection of planes.
There was a rush on the Mirka Abranet which was all sold out by 3:00!!

Bought a Blue Spruce burnisher in blackwood for £18 which seems very cheap compared with their other prices? And a few other bits and pieces.
Really enjoyed it.

Rod

Missed the meeting time due to serious navigational failure (confused the A37 and A36). As a first-timer I was a bit shocked to see several coaches when I pulled in to the car park. It was like Ikea on a bank holiday (never been crazy enough to go in, but cycle through the car park some times). Couldn't stand still in the areas with machinery but the Classic Hand Tools stand was a bit calmer - was good to see some of the famous Philly Planes in the flesh. Can see myself joining the queue for one of those in the not too distant future...

Not a bad day out, glad to see several of the usual cheery faces making their presence felt.

Philly certainly seemed to be attracting a fair bit of attention whenever I passed by and enjoying it, whilst David was smugly handing out obscene samples of plane shavings from his little Philly wonder.

Smile of the day came with a few moments demo for Nigel and myself of a burnishing product, following Nigel's "How Much!" (which is still ringing in my ear) the gentleman took the best thing since sliced bread approach with a piece of exotic, that I must admit looked good when finished, to try and convince us it was worth it, only to be completed with the statement that it was "not much use on English hardwoods though!! " I think "a little less effective" would have been a better sales pitch.

Very impressed with the help and service I received from Keith on the Crown stand, good to talk to someone who actually gets their hands dirty and processes the tools they are promoting.

A good day out indeed.

My hoping that it might be a bit quieter on a Friday proved optimistic, what a rugby scrum, especially when it rained and everyone tried to get under cover !

Philly's stand was interesting, and I left a parcel there for Rob (Woodbloke) to collect today as I knew I would miss his visit today but I did tell Philly you would buy the tea's Rob when you picked it up !

Bumped into Chas and Nigel, good to see you guys, and then totally forgot about the time and missed the 12 o'clock meet as I was salivating over some exotics in the wood shop (wood that is for the avoidance of doubt in case SWMBO reads this :lol: ) and indeed had to wrestle a beautiful piece of pau rosa back to the car, boy is that stuff heavy, but should keep me in saw and tool handles for a while, might even have a crack at a Philly inspired little smoother one of these days !

Mike Hancock at CHT had a set of the cocobolo long handled parers there which were beautiful to look at and handled well too, but couldn't quite find the budget for them yesterday given that I had just splashed on a large LN shoulder plane on ebay the night before (picking it up tomorrow :D ). Definitely on the must have list though, maybe at Westonbirt which is closer to my birthday and when my wallet has recovered sufficiently !

Made do with the timber, some scrapers and a great looking Blue Spruce burnisher, some Carroll sanding drums, and a selection of Organoil finishes, as well as some tips on stropping from Mick Hudson, thanks Mick !

David C was indeed there on Philly's stand and there were a couple of small pieces casually strewn around the table showing David's through and lapped dovetails, quite something, first time I have seen craftsmanship of that quality close up :shock:

So a great day out, fancy going again today but would only spend more money and can't face the 4 hour round drive again !

Look forwards to hearing more from others........

Cheers, Paul. :D

It was indeed a good day out - but I guess the fact the meet was at Philly's stand and not Chestnut's was the reason I was the only one there at 12, thinking, oh, everyone must be coming on Saturday :oops:
Still had fun - had a nice chat with Philly, stroked a piece of wood planed by David C (Wow! mentally wondering how long it would take me to save up to go on his short course), and then bumped into Chas and Mrs Chas and told them about my first wood lathe purchase the day before - only to be challenged by Mrs Chas to have a picture of something decent I'd turned on it within the week! Only problem is there's not much room to move in the workshop at the moment as I work out how to fit everything in now I've got a wood and a metal lathe to accomodate...

Latest posts

Back