Workshop open week end/ charity event update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of posts folks, but it's been a hectic few weeks in the workshop.
Just to update things and answer a few questions. There are two local pubs less than 5 minuets from the workshop which both sell meals and snacks. Sarah Carter will be providing her world famous selection of cakes on the day, and the urn will be on all day for tea and coffee. Unless we have hundreds of people turn up there should be ample parking. The workshop is on a small industrial park in the middle of nowhere, and none of the other businesses will be open that day.
Brian Jackson should have a good selection of carving, and turning chisels on sale, and just to wet your appetite I have taken a few photos of some of my old stock that will be up for grabs, but this is not everything that will be on offer :)

There is a good selection of old veneers, and large amounts of old brass ironmongery from a cabinet makers workshop I helped clear recently, so if you need some form of obscure hinge or other oddity for a project, nows your chance.
Cheers Richard.

Wow - that's quite a spread. :shock:

I have half a dozen end-of-the-last-run holdfasts to add to my bits.

Lots of the great and good tell me they are going. This is shaping up to be a really important event; to buy seriously good kit, to get top notch advice on using it and to raise a lot of dosh for the charity.

Can't wait (hammer)

Cancel all boot sales and get on down to Richard's place!! Where else could you find all this lot in one place.
(But not till I've driven 150 miles and had a good rummage...)

Alternatively, just think of it like this:

"I really ought to give a decent sized donation to that thoroughly worthwhile organisation, Macmillan Cancer Support. I could just click on their website and do it. Or, I could have a great day out, meet some of the nicest people around to chat about tools all day, give a donation and come back with a box of goodies and a big grin on my face!"

AndyT":3jgkbts0 said:
Just bumping this thread to remind people to keep the date clear and go along.

I'll definitely be there and will bring local lads PlumberPete and Rafezetter. Pete says he has some more tools to add to the pot.
We'll aim to get there soon after 9.30 on Sunday 8 June.

Is there anywhere handy to get food, or should we bring our own?
How's the parking space on site?

Holy Moly - that's a lot of planes - I think I'll need to bring more money!

Found the thread Richard, should have looked better before. Jim and I plan to 'call by', along with Gary from Hackney Tools. Between the two of them the decks should be clear by noon (our eta is 11.55 approx).
What a great shame Holdfast Richard won't be with us.

Hi folks. Just reminding you all it's just over a week to go to this event.
I have just had a day of mixed emotions. I have been to Solihull to collect the last 6 of Richard t's Holdfasts. Richard had already offered to add these to the pot, and Emma felt it was only right that they should still be available. It was an honor and a privilege to be shown round Richards working environment this morning, but it still breaks my heart to think he is no longer with us. He will be sorely missed next Sunday, but thanks to Emma's generosity some of the last of his wonderful craftsmanship will be with us.
Cheers Richard.

condeesteso":1w1z4152 said:
Found the thread Richard, should have looked better before. Jim and I plan to 'call by', along with Gary from Hackney Tools. Between the two of them the decks should be clear by noon (our eta is 11.55 approx).
What a great shame Holdfast Richard won't be with us.
Hi Douglas. That's great news. I cant believe I was posting that about Richards Holdfasts Just as you posted that.

I wasn't aware Richard had passed :( . I must admit I hadn't seen him on the forum for a while but that sometimes happens.

I have a pair of his holdfasts and they are brilliant. Really sorry to hear he has gone.

H.

As Douglas kindly posted on our behalf...the Kent/Essex boys will be with you on this event...although I think getting there at noon is an OUTRAGE!!! :mrgreen:

I wanted to know if there was an 8.30 early start fee I could pay! :mrgreen:

Seriously though...looking forward to this immensely and shall be bringing along a suitable donation and a few samples of recent acquisitions including the part finished panel infill...started by our dear departed friend Richard.

See you there....can't wait!

Jimi

p.s. I would have brought ALFIE along but Douglas would no doubt have something to say about that....so I told him he has to stay with his Mum for the day...! :mrgreen:

20140411_110239.jpg

Just to keep everyone up to date o n this event. I have just had some great news. Richard and Helen of http://www.rm-workbenches.co.uk/ fame are coming down on Sunday, so If anyone wants to know anything about bench building now's your chance. :) Helen also said they will be bringing some wooden threads for vice making to add to the items up for grabs. There is a pottery studio in one of the units next to us, and they will be open for the day and have said that if anyone fancies a go on a potters wheel they are happy to give them a go.
Just in case anyone is not sure of the workshops location, it is in the village of Wilbarston, midway between Corby, and Market Harborough on the A427. The post code is LE168QL. If anyone gets lost, the workshop number is 01536772123.
Cheers Richard

jimi43 said:
As Douglas kindly posted on our behalf...the Kent/Essex boys will be with you on this event...although I think getting there at noon is an OUTRAGE!!! :mrgreen:

I wanted to know if there was an 8.30 early start fee I could pay! :mrgreen:

Seriously though...looking forward to this immensely and shall be bringing along a suitable donation and a few samples of recent acquisitions including the part finished panel infill...started by our dear departed friend Richard.

See you there....can't wait!

Jimi

p.s. I would have brought ALFIE along but Douglas would no doubt have something to say about that....so I told him he has to stay with his Mum for the day...! :mrgreen:

20140411_110239.jpg
[/quote
That's great news. Cant wait to see you all. Make sure you bring the "lump" with you. I'm sure Bill Carter would love to see it :)

Not sure if i will be around on saturday, but this sounds like a good place to be if i am!

try and show some of you old timers up :D (doubtfull!)

Bradshaw Joinery":127carp4 said:
Not sure if i will be around on saturday, but this sounds like a good place to be if i am!

try and show some of you old timers up :D (doubtfull!)

Bit of confusion here Olly.
It is on Sunday :wink:
Hope you can make it 8)

Andy

I will be bringing a few of my planes, any one want to see an infill scraper plane?

Pete

Hi folks. We have just finished setting everything up, and the workshop hasn't been this tidy in about 14 years :lol:
We haven't got an official start time, but I imagine we will be up and running by about 9am. If anyone is looking to put on a bit of a display, I will be there by at least 8am. Just a word of warning for anyone using sat nav to find us, the post code of LE168QL will only get you as far as 7 Rushton road. At this point, just keep going out of the village and ignore the dead end signs. The lane passes back under the A427 In a sort of tunnel. WE are on the first track on the left after this marked Dallacre farm.
Looking forward to seeing everyone, Cheers Richard.

richarnold":ue7gwup7 said:
Hi folks. We have just finished setting everything up, and the workshop hasn't been this tidy in about 14 years :lol:
We haven't got an official start time, but I imagine we will be up and running by about 9am. If anyone is looking to put on a bit of a display, I will be there by at least 8am. Just a word of warning for anyone using sat nav to find us, the post code of LE168QL will only get you as far as 7 Rushton road. At this point, just keep going out of the village and ignore the dead end signs. The lane passes back under the A427 In a sort of tunnel. WE are on the first track on the left after this marked Dallacre farm.

This map is centred on the junction Richard is talking about, the turn for Dallacre Farm.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=LE168Q ... m&t=h&z=17

Looks like (sign circled, route in red)

dallacre.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• dallacre.jpg
    dallacre.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 87
bugbear":nkslpgyj said:
richarnold":nkslpgyj said:

This map is centred on the junction Richard is talking about, the turn for Dallacre Farm.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=LE168Q ... m&t=h&z=17

Looks like (sign circled, route in red)

BugBear

Thanks for taking the time to post this BB! I am sure we would have been banging on the door of No.7 looking for a bunch of woodies but with this we know exactly where it is.

Are you going to be there mate?

Jim

Latest posts

Back