The 5th annual Macmillan cancer charity open workshop event

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score

Ok .
I want to come clean and be honest with you.
This is just a pretty picture of a tool chest and tools to grab your attention, but what this post is really about is something dear to my heart, and something terrifying that will probably impact on all of our lives at some point in one way or another.
Nearly five years ago I had an Idea to have an open workshop charity day. This came about as I had accumulated a lot of surplus woodworking tools and materials over the years and thought it might be nice to use them to raise some money for charity. I looked around for a suitable charity, wanting something that I thought everyone would be happy to support, and decided on https://www.macmillan.org.uk.
The event, although small, was well supported, and we managed to raise just under £1,000. A few months after the event my father "Mick" was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, and sadly passed away not long after. Thankfully we managed to keep dad at home right to the end, surrounded by his family, and this was made possible partly with the help of the Macmillan nurses. I have often heard it said that cancer will probably "touch" everyone in some way, but cancer doesn't "touch", it ruthlessly attacks us, and when your in a fight you need all the support you can get, and that's where Macmillan can help.
Its nearly 5 years since that first small charity event, and we have repeated it every year since, and every year it has grown a bit more, with support coming in from the woodworking community from all corners of the world. We feel humbled, and grateful for all your support in the past, and hope that this year we can once again raise money for this worthy cause.
This years event will be on the 8th of June, and thanks to the wonderful Jim Hendricks we have the details here https://youtu.be/gs-goPHSGyU
I hope to see many of you in June at the event, but even if you cannot attend on the day, I hope you will follow this event, and support us in any way you can.

A great cause and one for the diary...I'll see if I can make it this year. I was 'touched' by the big C a few years ago so I know all about the 'angst' - Rob

I had to go to Chatsworth flower show last year instead, so hopefully this year I will be there.

Pete

I went to the first three, missed last year's and probably won't make this year's, though if I can, I will.

But at risk of repeating myself, I urge anyone who can get there to do so.

It's the ideal day out. Good company of like minded woodworking enthusiasts. Interesting old tools to admire and talk about. A huge bring and buy section, better than any boot fair. Special tools by auction. Endless tea and cake to fuel the endless chat!

Go with plenty of cash, make a generous contribution to a really good cause, take home a stack of useful souvenirs.

Been to the last three (or four can’t remember) and will certainly go to this. It’s a great day out and opportunity to meet up with a great bunch not to mention helping out a wonderful cause. I cannot recommend it enough. Can’t wait!

Are you running a crowd funder again Richard?
I would love to come. Real life says I won't make it. Location, work, etc etc.
I'd like to contribute as I'm sure others would.
Regards as always.
Chris

memzey":1d69jlpl said:
Come on Chris - I’ll pick you up on my from St. Albans!
Let me have a think Memzey. I'd love to go if I can fit it in.

where is the event held? if I don't go I might donate a couple of items

I went to the last two and I plan to be there this year. Very enjoyable and you can feel good about supporting a worthy cause.

thetyreman":2gmeak3y said:
where is the event held? if I don't go I might donate a couple of items
Market Harborough, Leicestershire

Missed last year, will definitely try to make it this year, its a fantastic event!

I can't make it but will definitely either contribute or donate to top up the target.

Good luck and thank you for doing this.

As I said on Instagram, all being well I'll be supporting Richard and Kate again this year. This is truly a most rewarding event to be involved in and I'm looking forward to this years.
If you have any interest in woodworking or tools/toolmaking and those who do, it's something that needs to be experienced 8)
Worried about placating the rest of the family ? Well, Market Harborough has a lot to offer shopping wise and Foxton locks is a must see while in the area :wink:
Cheers Andy

Little over a month away 8)
Whatever or however do try to pop in and see us.
Great social occasion :wink:
Hook up with someone local to car share and spread the cost :idea:
Better still, hire a coach and pick up on the way =D>
Cheers Andy

I've not been before but plan to make it this year. I can't find the address of the venue anywhere. Can someone give me the details. Thanks.

John

John15":55nwiru4 said:
I've not been before but plan to make it this year. I can't find the address of the venue anywhere. Can someone give me the details. Thanks.

John

For those of you that have not been before this is a pure hand tool event where folks are encouraged to bring along any unwanted tools, and associated woodworking items to donate to this worthy cause. You also have the opportunity to take anything that catches your eye back home with you. all you have to do is make a donation of your own choosing for any item you want. This is a very sociable event, and a chance to meet up with folks. We will be running the usual BBQ, and tea, coffee, and other drinks will be available. The event is held at the workshops of Richard Arnold Traditional joinery, Unit 7 ,Dallacre Farm, Willbarston, Market Harborough, Leicestershie. LE168FE

By the way the bringing of tool donations isn't compulsory.
While the chipping in to the pot and leaving with something is thoroughly encouraged 8) :wink:
Be great to meet up.
Cheers Andy

Latest posts

Back