Workshop open week end/ charity event update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos from the day
Some planes

Some more

The Richards and Richard
Look at the size of Richards nuts!

Rich at full speed

Bill Carters planes

His new Norris moulders

I had a good time chatted with some nice people and came back with less tools than I started with.

Have you totalled up yes Rich?

Pete

Hi folks. It's been a long day, but Kate and myself have finally collapsed on the sofa, exhausted, but very happy. Everyone has been amazingly generous today, and although there might be a bit more money to come yet, the total has exceeded, wait for it..... just over £1,000 for Macmillan nurses. I know that we had the original idea, but this event just would not have been a success without all you wonderful folks who came along and supported this event. I was overwhelmed at the generosity of you lot at the stuff you brought with you to donate. I'm sure this made such a big difference to the overall total. This event was not just about raising money for charity, it was also about meeting up with likeminded people to talk and share our love of all things wood. If anyone has any doubts as to the friendly nature of the people on this forum, they should have been there today. you lot were amazing, and we were proud and honored to be in your company.
Once again may we say a huge thank you to everyone for supporting us today. Richard, and Kate.

I'd also like to confirm that it really was a wonderful day out with the perfect mix of hundreds of tools to rehouse or just admire and a workshop full of friendly, interesting people ready to talk all day long. Here are some similar pictures to show what it was like.

24A04337-F8EA-4215-BFEA-F6595D95F9B2_zpsiutmmwum.jpg

59EC88D3-1B51-4A39-AC83-14476AC2F02B_zpsq1e1e5id.jpg

4108D8A8-E6B5-43AB-9F46-3DCA038E29C0_zpsg5fxaqjd.jpg

8BA564E5-660C-441E-8F76-67CABB670408_zps12arg9tk.jpg

6DB8606F-22A9-41C1-A917-D89A6545D976_zpsnepezw1a.jpg

AED19D88-D199-4F85-86F3-21D93DFA7F99_zpsdpkmzo7t.jpg

8A21B84D-F3B2-4DE7-A02D-42D3816F930B_zpskd5qrmg0.jpg

Huge thanks to Richard, his wife Kate and his business partner Matt for their fantastic hospitality in making such a great day happen.

I wasn't sure where to post a reply as Adam has started a thread too so I will go with this one and perhaps the mods can merge the two.

The sentiment is however, the same.

An overwhelming vote of thanks to Richard, Kate and Matt for hosting the event in their wonderful workshop with the amazing decor apparently "nailed to the walls" by Matt!

We arrived to be greeted by what only can be described as a huge toyshop for big boys...impossible to know where to look first or who to say hello to!

Richard A had is bench readied for playing with the "toys"....Richard McG and Helen had their wonderful vise screws to play with on the way to Andy T&T and his never ending display of tools of fascination.

In the corner, Adam (Riley Toolworks) brought his precision scratch awls both to show and tell and also to buy...(I have always wanted one of these so the only cherry one left seem to disappear somewhere....! :mrgreen: ). I believe Adam that Richard A may have the No.7 Stay Set....aside for you if you ask him! :wink:

Brian's regular display of many many chisels of years gone by also distracted yours truly...I have a need for that V gouge Brian...honest!!! And Peter M had some enchanting examples of how to merge the modern with the traditional in his successful mix of Corian and brass to make the most exquisite shoulder planes from the very tiny to the rather large. The engineering of his scraper plane with a welded body (still don't believe you arc welded that Peter!!!) was both clever and beautifully finished.

Last but not least...Bill and Sarah set up camp in a very unfair position...(at the "till"... :mrgreen: ) as you came in....and the temptation to not take one of his masterpieces home with me nearly cracked....suffice to say, we may be chatting soon Bill! Tim also had a bit of a masterpiece too...sitting quietly on Bill's table and I can hardly wait to see that finished...I missed the first one!

I have to say that this event has got to be up there as one of the best and the conversation and things I learned could not be equalled anywhere.

Thanks again Richard, Kate and Matt....you are diamonds!...and thanks to Douglas for the lift!! :wink:

Jimi

P.S. I forgot my camera! :oops:

P.P.S. Even if I had the camera I would probably never have found time to use it. :mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more - It was great to meet almost everyone for the first time, and see and touch planes and things I'd only seen pictures of before, too many to mention, but most especially Richard & Jimi's infill plane.

I got some great items, a few of which I'd had a hankering for for a while, and others I didn't know I had a hankering for until I saw them :) - Thanks Plumber Pete for donating that shoulder plane and saw set, and Andy T for graciously letting me have the plane. I could have bought more - one of RichardT's holdfasts & Adams scratch awls were so simple and elegant (seconds my pineapple!), but it was starting to get a bit silly!

My Haul:

Jimi's Lovely condition 4 1/2 with clifton SS cap iron
Plumber Pete's cracking 9" shoulderplane
Plumber Pete's elegant german Blosta saw set
A properly flat and true sliding square (which is rarer than I thought - my 2 are terrible by comparison)
A couple of nice old chisels
Richard A's lengths of oak - new handles for chisels!
Can't remember who donated - A nice brass backed marples tenon rip cut saw user (already sharp with wooden blade protector).
An old tenon saw fixer upper in dire need of TLC (for learning how to renovate and file).
A few saw files from that carpenters tool chest
Richard A's basic but very usable vice - and 2 bits of good ash for new jaws
A dozen or so padauk and some other wood veneers
A bunch of small brass box hinges

phew - I think that's it :mrgreen:

Great thanks to RichardA, Kate and all who donated their time and items for this event. =D> =D> =D>

Not forgetting the cakes =P~

Edit - Over £1,000 raised with more to come? Amazing :shock:

WOW!! Over £1000. That's amazing, and is testament to the generosity of the people.
I said it in another thread, but it bears repeating.
Thanks to Richard and Kate for organising such a fabulous event.
Sorry to all those people I didn't talk to - there were so many people it was hard to get around.
A great day.

Adam.

Hi Rafezetter

The saw was from me.

Fantastic total! when is the next one? :wink:

Pete

What a day! First, big thanks to Richard and Kate for hosting, arranging, setting up and taking the charity initiative.
Turns out there were quite a few people there I'd like to have met and chatted to (or for longer) but the hours fly by.
I apologise for not donating tools to the charity stall, but I only have users and a few no-hopers. I decided I'd be more use buying some. Jim and I arrived well into the event at 12.30 so I expected to have missed the boat but there were so many fine contributions...

I need these to go with the stash of hornbeam drying by the workshop:

ra1.jpg

And I need these because they are the best and I'll never find any more :cry:

RA2.jpg

Just moments after arriving Andy TnT found me to announce 'I've got something in the van for you'. Knowing Andy and the size of his van, that could be good or bad news:

ra3.jpg

Very many thanks to Andy for remembering and getting one and bringing it. I love these things and will do a separate thread on it soon as I can - genuinely useful it will be.

Things of real note for me, Bill's planes as usual, Tim's plane w.i.p.; Andy TnT's pattern maker plane with full set of irons, soles etc, his Stanley spokeshave with interchangeable sole and side fence, some of Richard A's planes (I assume the Norris coffin was Richard's), Adam's really fine awls (seconds my a**e)... too much really. More later when I think of it.

Attachments

• ra1.jpg
    ra1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 80
  • RA2.jpg
    RA2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 80
  • ra3.jpg
    ra3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 80
I just wrote the equivalent of 'War and Peace' and by the time I went to submit it I'd been logged out so lost the lot! ](*,)

Suffice to say it was a great day, great people, great tea and cakes - thanks Rich and Kate!!!

Yes great day thanks so much for organising Richard
It was my 'first time' at such an event but everyone was so friendly
Unfortunately I had only been back in the country for 24 hours and didn't want to p@@s the missus off so I left at 1230 - but really enjoyed talking to Peter Maddex, Andy Toolsnat, Richard Maquire who sorted out my wooden screw for my bench, Bill Carter who was inspirational, Jimi for bringing that amazing plane of RichardT's, and thanks again to Richarnold I am v jealous of your 'shop!
Hope it happens again soon
With best wishes
Mark

Looks and sound like I missed a great day out.
I'm definatly attending the next one :)
Hope everyone is well

Cheers
TT

Back