Workshop Essentials DVD 6

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenon

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just viewed the latest DVD, no6, from Mr Maskery's excellent collection on jigs for workshop tools. This one is about making a tenon jig for use on the bandsaw or as he calls it The Ultimate Bandsaw Tenon Jig.

As I own all of his other five DVDs I feel able to pass comment on this particular one. From my perspective as a hobbyist woodworker, these DVDs really are the Rolls Royce of woodworking machinery DVDs. Steve has a relaxed and natural presentation style and appealingly shows you how to make the jig, describes any design changes he has made and shows you the whole process from construction through to techniques you can use with the jig.

The jig itself is of Steve's usual high standard designed for ease of use, accuracy and repeatability. The DVD is well made, runs to nearly 90 minutes in length and is ideally structured for pausing and rewinding to make sure that you have understood any concepts. It contains so much information that one viewing will not be enough. As usual with his DVDs there are PDFs and Google Sketchup models of the jigs included.

Overall, an excellent DVD well worth the money. I wonder what will be in No7?

Declaration - I have no connection or interest with Mr Maskery or his DVDs other than as a purchasing customer.

Thanks for the review Tenon.

I'd be interested to see a 'clip' if available as with his other DVDs. This would normally swing my decision with a purchase of this sort.

Yes, seeing a clip is helpful, perhaps Mr Maskery can oblige on youtube.

My reason for buying the dvd is the need to make a lot of windows and doors using tenons and I hope that this would help me to do that better and more quickly, which it will once I make the jig.

What I thought was particularly good about the jig was the way that you can do regular centred tenons, offset, angled and double tenons.

I have cut simple tenons on the band saw using the usual flip method, which is fine for joinery like a gate, but not accurate enough for windows and doors.

Hi Tenon
You are quick off the mark! :)

I'm very glad you like it. By the time I've finished editing a DVD I no longer have any idea what it's like. If it's as good as I hope or worse than I fear is impossible to tell as I've seen every second of it a hundred times. I get brain-dead about it, so I can't judge my own work. But a couple of my ww friends to whom I showed previews were complimentary, so I felt it was ready for release. I had no doubt about the jig itself, you understand, just whether or not I'd done a decent job of presenting it.

Anyway, I'm glad you are pleased with your purchase and thank you very much indeed for telling the world so. One good independent review is worth a thousand statements by me saying that I have something good! Thank you.

Today I have bought a sheet of MRMDF. I've decided to make a small batch of them, as several people have expressed an interest in having one ready-made. I hope to have them done in a week or so, but right now I'm finishing tweaking my website. I've spent all week on it :( but am gratified to find that quite a generic search gets me on the front page of Google. That didn't used to happen. I wonder if I can get to No. 1? :D

Happy woodying
Steve

PS, Mick, a Trailer is one of my priorities on my To Do list.

Tenon":2f5cs8yw said:
I have just viewed the latest DVD, no6, from Mr Maskery's excellent collection on jigs for workshop tools. This one is about making a tenon jig for use on the bandsaw or as he calls it The Ultimate Bandsaw Tenon Jig.

As I own all of his other five DVDs I feel able to pass comment on this particular one. From my perspective as a hobbyist woodworker, these DVDs really are the Rolls Royce of woodworking machinery DVDs. Steve has a relaxed and natural presentation style and appealingly shows you how to make the jig, describes any design changes he has made and shows you the whole process from construction through to techniques you can use with the jig.

The jig itself is of Steve's usual high standard designed for ease of use, accuracy and repeatability. The DVD is well made, runs to nearly 90 minutes in length and is ideally structured for pausing and rewinding to make sure that you have understood any concepts. It contains so much information that one viewing will not be enough. As usual with his DVDs there are PDFs and Google Sketchup models of the jigs included.

Overall, an excellent DVD well worth the money. I wonder what will be in No7?

Declaration - I have no connection or interest with Mr Maskery or his DVDs other than as a purchasing customer.

well thats a chrimble present to go on the list then ;)

no7 ? Imo that should be about planer thicknessers

No. 7 eh?
Well I can't say that it hasn't crossed my mind, I do have enough material. I'm not sure that I have enough to do a whole DVD on P/T jigs, though.

I am getting quicker at this. WE 1 & 2 took ten months to make. OK they were twice as long, but I did the filming and editing for WE 6 is less than a month. Then another week on my website. Plus my production costs are now very low, as most of the expenditure was up front. New computer (ancient now, but still going strong, Roger!), software, music, camera. A dozen different microphones. I don't use a mic at all now, I use the camera mic and it is fine. Now my only really costs are duplication and packaging. A new hard drive every now and again, but that's all. I've not yet recouped in sales everything I've spent in the last 4 years, but I'm a lot closer than I used to be. Heck, at this rate I might even start to make a profit before I die! Good grief, whatever next?

I'll give the P/T angle some thought.

Cheers
Steve

It doesn't have to be just about Jig though Steve. Plenty of people need the definitive guide to setting every machine up in their workshop. I know I do. Book just don't cut it in this day and age. I want to See and Hear, not read and look at still pictures. If you cover both combi machines and separates, you have a lot of footage there. You DVD's do not have to be marathons to earn their price tag. You just have to look at some of the turning DVDs to know that what you are producing is among the highest quality in the industry! People will pay for information, especially in new media formats.

wizer":1zsu9zw2 said:
It doesn't have to be just about Jig though Steve. Plenty of people need the definitive guide to setting every machine up in their workshop. .

yeah thats what i was thinking setting up and using the PT and P & T seperates, with maybe some jigs thrown in- like steve did for bandsaws in WE4.

Come to that i'd like to see "WE8 a more definitive look at tablesaws" too which could make a "compleat tablesaw" set along with WE3

and theres defintitely room for a "compleat chainsaw" as well - I dont need that one but theres plenty that do.

I agree with Wizer and BSM, a dvd that showed me how to set up my table saw or PT accurately would be ideal. Some jigs sprinkled in the mix are good too.

I set up my bandsaw using the guidance in Steve's dvd which was really easy to do as I could see what he was doing and he explained the approach so clearly and simply. As a result I have a bandsaw that cuts accurately without any blade drift. I want to work wood not struggle with the machinery :)

You can't beat experience and for some of us changing planer blades and still having a machine that cuts accurately afterwards is more a hope than an expectation :lol:

Well I certainly think that a Tablesaw one has legs. I would have done one by now if it were not for the fact that my (otherwise excellent) TS isn't actually CE rated. That's the barrier I have to using it as the model for such a showing.
S

Steve Maskery":28cun95v said:
Well I certainly think that a Tablesaw one has legs. I would have done one by now if it were not for the fact that my (otherwise excellent) TS isn't actually CE rated. That's the barrier I have to using it as the model for such a showing.
S
Surely there's a few members nearby who would be happy to let you set theirs up? This would also allow you to show how to do a number of them :)

Miles

Oh I don't suppose I'd be short of takers for that one, Miles! :) But setting up someone else's machine is the easy bit. Filming it is a different matter. It's hard enough in my own workshop where I'm reasonably well set up for it now. It would be one thing in, say, Oryx's workshop which is spacious and well-lit, it would be a different matter in, say, a single garage that has one strip light and as much junk in it as mine has.

I'll give it some thought, though. Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":2zqbwrak said:
S

You could always do what our colonial friends over the Pond do and put a disclaimer notice up on the screen at the start...may I suggest:

"The CE sticker on this machine has been removed for reasons of poverty"

:D

Jim

Just thought I'd add my 2 pence worth. My work mostly consists of a mix of joinery (one off windows, doors and frames) and built-in furniture.

I've just made up the bandsaw tenon jig from Steve M's latest dvd, along with a fine adjuster from an earlier disc, and I have to say it's well worth doing. My bandsaw (one of the earlier Startrite 352's) has a slightly smaller throat so it needed a bit of modification, but I think it has been designed with that in mind.

I've cut a few test pieces to try it out and it works perfectly, esp in conjunction with the fine adjuster. It's going to pay for itself in no time.

Steve Maskery":w3t1mwa6 said:
Oh I don't suppose I'd be short of takers for that one, Miles! :) But setting up someone else's machine is the easy bit. Filming it is a different matter. It's hard enough in my own workshop where I'm reasonably well set up for it now. It would be one thing in, say, Oryx's workshop which is spacious and well-lit, it would be a different matter in, say, a single garage that has one strip light and as much junk in it as mine has.

I'll give it some thought, though. Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers
Steve

You're always welcome here Steve.

Back