Workshop dehumidifier with HEPA filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the effect or not of a dehumidifier depends on cubic metres of workspace, size of machine, type of machine, construction inc things like DPC and air tightness. Just because one is not needed in a particular setting doesnt mean they're a waste of time everywhere else or there wouldnt be a market for them.....

Matt@":2g97ziky said:
..... or there wouldnt be a market for them.....

Drying out a flooded property maybe. Otherwise, if the workshop is as bad that a dehumidifier is deemed to be needed then surely, as other have said, you are just dehumidifying the universe.

RogerS":3fedgqgb said:
Matt@":3fedgqgb said:

Drying out a flooded property maybe. Otherwise, if the workshop is as bad that a dehumidifier is deemed to be needed then surely, as other have said, you are just dehumidifying the universe.

Wow, you smashed that one out of the park! By the same logic I'm going to turn off my central heating - thanks for the tip.

I've read this dehumidifier drying the universe argument loads of times - if you've got the right machine in the right cubic metre of area of the right construction you will guaranteed get a better working environment. The reasons workshops get damp is single skin walls, lack of DPC, single skin roof etc and yes lack of air circulation. Thing is if the RH of the outside air is say 85 then inside it will be at least 85 irrelevant of what you do unless you have the right heater,the right dehumidifier or the workshop is part of a domestic home.

RogerS":bj8guzie said:
Matt@":bj8guzie said:

I've checked this quite carefully and I'm convinced that in my heated, insulated, 80 sq metre workshop there's a useful reduction in moisture levels, and a greater consistency of moisture levels, from permanently running a de-humidifier. I've normally got at least £10k of very high quality timbers in the workshop, and I find it pays in terms of moving furniture straight through and out to clients with minimal call outs to address sticking drawers etc. If you find you don't need one then that's great, count yourself blessed!

KevM":27n4bvyf said:
RogerS":27n4bvyf said:
Matt@":27n4bvyf said:

Wow, you smashed that one out of the park! By the same logic I'm going to turn off my central heating - thanks for the tip.

I'd hope that you're house wasn't as draughty !!

RogerS":2n05zq8o said:
KevM":2n05zq8o said:
RogerS":2n05zq8o said:
quoting "Matt@"..... or there wouldnt be a market for them.....

I'd hope that you're house wasn't as draughty !!

Thanks for your concern - it isn't, and nor is my workshop - which is why a dehumidifier is the perfect solution for maintaining RH year round.
Clearly if I worked in a Dutch barn then your reductio ad absurdum argument would hold, but I've taken the precaution of using doors and windows to fill the various orifices. While we're on the subject of closing orifices and drying up, I've got a couple of suggestions you might want to take on board, but it being the season of goodwill etc., ... :ho2

Matt@":21ybwk5w said:
is that 80sqm or 80 cubic metres?

80 square metres, probably around 220 cubic metres as there's a fair bit of eaves storage.

It's identical to every workshop I've ever owned, worked in, or visited; in that they're always 20% too small!

I have a lot of old cast machinery and I am forever chasing the rust monster. I put a dehumidifier in and it has made a noticeable change to the amount of rust that appears.

custard":3d6cvqrl said:
Matt@":3d6cvqrl said:
is that 80sqm or 80 cubic metres?

80 square metres, probably around 220 cubic metres as there's a fair bit of eaves storage.

It's identical to every workshop I've ever owned, worked in, or visited; in that they're always 20% too small!

800 odd square feet with 220 cubic metres takes some drying! I would expect only an industrial machine to make a difference there. I did have exactly that area but now have about 30 cubic metres. The metres of air movement per minute is large which is why these machines make so much difference even if the building "leaks" and any excess damp is kept well at bay

My workshop is 90M3 and the 20l low energy model is having no problem keeping the humidity at around 55%, this morning every where was saturated again it must have been approaching 90% outside.

The floating 10mm thin oak panels that had started to ripple have now gone back to flat, the oak frames are reading 12% moisture with my meter. A newer piece of European Oak that was supposed to be kiln dried has been in the workshop for a couple of months and reads 14%.

Back