Woodworking Apron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m after a woodworking apron, anyone use one and where did you get it from?

The only must is a front pocket, ideally reasonable quality so I’m not buying a new one on no time at all.

TIA.

Haven't worn one of these since schooldays. I did use to put a leather one when machining - if I thought what I was doing might prove a little 'iffy', but otherwise not. There seem to be a few of the 'school type' ones around, at around £6/10 a few, more robust canvas ones at around £ 12/22, and the leather ones .... well you can name your price. I suppose these help you go full 'Artisan' Take a look on eBay, they even have a few that will give you the 'Jay Blades' look. :giggle:

I use a leather apron when I’m in the thick of it. Stops the stuff wearing clothing / catching spells is sensitive bits of your body. I’ve also become sensitive to some woods and having dust off a table saw for instance fired at waist height can be…..let’s say…..interesting leather stopped any issues. Cheap of auction sites. Last for ever

I’m after a woodworking apron, anyone use one and where did you get it from?

The only must is a front pocket, ideally reasonable quality so I’m not buying a new one on no time at all.

TIA.
I've got a dirty white cotton one with a pocket. Good quality but could do with a wash. Yours for the cost of postage. Send a PM if interested.
Brian

I bought one for turning. Full 'jacket' style, zip front, but pockets at back? Made sense when
you think of machinery in front of you?
Still use it for messy jobs.

I've had a leather one from Ebay for years now. Wasn't very expensive think about £10. I use it for all different types of work. Especially good for grinding/welding as it won't catch fire very easily.

If you just want something to keep the dust off I noticed this cotton one on a quick search GRILLTIDER Apron, blue/brown, 69x92 cm - IKEA

I have two. One is a canvas one from Lee Valley which is really good with a nice flap covered front pocket. The other is a customised one with my name on it. I usually wear the Lee Valley.

Edit: looks like they have changed the front pocket design. Not convinced I like what they have done.

I've got three and none of them really fit what I want. The element I would recommend you consider is the straps. The cheap ones on the internet have a strapping that loops from the top down to the waist - so the neck and waist straps are combined into one. Two of my aprons have this arrangement and I find it really awkward. It's fine once its on, but I feel a little like Houdini being attacked by a spider, getting in and out of it. My current plan is to take a leather apron I have and replace the straps with a simple loop for the neck and a separate pair of straps for the waist. This is the traditional arrangement, and is simple, but seems particularly hard to find in cheap aprons.

Update : The GRILLTIDER apron mentioned above has the sort of strapping I'd go for. This is the type of strapping I would avoid: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91BZiPYDh0L._AC_UY741_.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a sewing machine it should be an easy garment to make - not exactly tailored - maybe re-purposing fabric from an old coat or jacket, contrasting fabric for the pocket, yoru very own house style.

If not, it occurred to me recently that there are a lot more people working in catering than in woodworking. The market is bigger and price competitive. I wanted a lightweight cover-up for woodturning in hot weather, the branded smocks all seemed to be £50 plus, so I got a chefs jacket. Loads of options, I went for short sleeve, grey, double front with popper fastening, mandarin collar and a sleeve thermometer pocket perfect for a 6 inch rule and penciil all for about £13. I am very happy with it. Could have had buttons not poppers, red, blue, black, white, 3/4 length sleeves .... all sorts. ( I fancied a red one but could only get that with buttons, preferred poppers for a dramatic quick removal when the tea is ready :))

If you go online to workwear suppliers - Nisbets, Workwear Express or similar (there are dozens) and search out aprons you will find loads all about £10. Even adding £5 for delivery makes them inexpensive but you might find local suppliers you can pick up from. They won't be as heavy duty as woodwprking ones but wash and dry quickly and protect your proper clothes just as well. A butchers apron might be a bit tougher, less than £10 with a pocket.

I agree with the leather suggestions of you are doing welding, lots of grinding or pouring molten metal. Long time since I did any of those.

My father was instructed to use a chain mail apron, when operating a spindle moulder… overkill, perhaps. But I did recently see a video of a cabinet saw kickback incident which fired an off cut straight at the operator’s crotch! I favour a leather apron.

I make my own aprons. I have a leather one for metalworking, a waxed canvas one with leather pockets for woodworking. I'm not an expert with a sewing machine but I don't find it difficult to sew something as simple as an apron although I wouldn't be walking down a catwalk any day soon in any of my creations.

I'd agree with Duncan about the aprons from Lovell Workwear. Wear mine five or six days a week and it has lasted years and years. Top quality even if they cost more than others and made in UK.

I have had two vertitas one. Weirdly sold the 1st one on ebay for tenner despite being covered in glue (wife made me sell) what i will say is that the upper straps must be crossed over and not neck one. I briefly tried a conventional neck hanging apron and i could not believe how uncomfortable it was. Never again

We used to insist all pupils had their own wood work apron and the school
Bought in bulk from a firm called Burtwhistle. We went for pocketless as we liked to see where the tools were.
Personally a leather apron for welding and heavy grinding job otherwise just old clothes

An inexpensive cotton apron for glue ups and finishing. Otherwise just regular work clothes.

I bought a basic leather apron from Screwfix for about £10 but they don't seem to do it anymore

Aprons are like penny round collars and kipper ties, only found in the wardrobes of men of a certain age! Younger woodworkers wouldn't be seen dead in them, they want tool belts and Dickies work pants.

I'm part of the apron generation, but around younger craftspeople it's like wearing a badge saying speak up I'm hard of hearing!

Back