wood prices rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
My head is spinning after trying to work out prices of timber between SL Hardwoods and british hardwoods as well as fitchets.
cubic metre - cubic foot - running metre - per foot
then there is thicknesses and widths with staggering differences within the same companies walnut jumped from similiar with all 3 companies at 1" x 5" to a difference of over £1000 per cubic metre for 2" x 12" coming out at £2800 :shock: :shock:
but you cant order 1 from one site andanother from another because of the delivery charges are so high.

Oh well i had better just price up what i want and find the cheapest for the lot, i know its probably done so you cant compare but its about time it was standardised in someway.
Sorry rant over.

suprasport":1yoj1ev4 said:
...cubic metre - cubic foot - running metre - per foot... i know its probably done so you cant compare but its about time it was standardised in someway.

Hope I'm not teaching grannies to suck eggs here, but Google has the facilities these days to help compare at least between prices per cubic metre and cubic foot. Given a query of <pre>£2800 per cubic metre in £ per cubic foot</pre> it replies, <pre>(UK£ 2 800) per (cubic meter) = 79.2871705 UK£ per (cubic foot)</pre> Not sure about running metres etc., being mostly into turning, I get most of my wood as logs or small offcuts of boards.

Another thing that might help is Tony's Free UKWorkshop wood price calculator - see this thread.

slightly off topic, but just had a chat with a local timber importer. For those of you who use a lot of Redwood, the price is going to keep rising.

Over the last 15 months cost of redwood up by about 70% pcm, 1st April goes up again by another £30. Apparently since Lituania, Poland, Estonia etc joined Eu they have been given £Billions of Euros in aid. They are unertaking major construction projects which is now creating a supply and demand situation not seen for many many years, with Britain now relegated to a secondry consumer... so we pay more.

Great eh?

Woody

Depends on the timber needed. If you do a little bit of research you can usually find someone doing native air dried timber, which is much more pleasant to use and costs a lot less. Needs a bit more secondary conditioning, but preferable for me anyway over the kiln dried stuff - Rob

Latest posts

Back