Plywood supplies in/to BA11 area?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accipiter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in need of 10 sheets of plywood for replacement of a lean-to "utility room" roof (7 sheets) and also a part of my back garden workshop (3 sheets).

The utility roof is approx. 26ft X 6ft giving me usable offcuts of 1 X 8ft X 2ft, 1 X 2ft sq. and 6 X 4ft X 2ft to use for units in the workshop. The workshop is 12ft X 8ft.

The local suppliers are not cheap (although I *DO* need to ask again for prices from them).

However... Searching around, Google came up with a company that appears to be reasonably priced (these days) and with a large range of different sheet materials. Just wondering if anyone has used them and would recommend? Quality of materials they supply etc. They are called "Sheet Materials Wholesale". They show a basic delivery charge of £78 + vat for my area - no matter what quantity - and they show delivery to most of the country for that (green area) and additional charges for outside of the green area. I'm only interested in the £78 + vat though.

I'd be looking at around £400 total for the order: 10 x 18mm CHINESE HARDWOOD FACE POPLAR CORE EXTERNAL GRADE PLYWOOD B/BB CE2+ 2440MM X 1220MM (8′ X 4′) £321.50 Inc. Vat + delivery if I use them.

I'm going to be in need of 10 sheets of plywood for replacement of a lean-to "utility room" roof (7 sheets) and also a part of my back garden workshop (3 sheets).

The utility roof is approx. 26ft X 6ft giving me usable offcuts of 1 X 8ft X 2ft, 1 X 2ft sq. and 6 X 4ft X 2ft to use for units in the workshop. The workshop is 12ft X 8ft.

The local suppliers are not cheap (although I *DO* need to ask again for prices from them).

However... Searching around, Google came up with a company that appears to be reasonably priced (these days) and with a large range of different sheet materials. Just wondering if anyone has used them and would recommend? Quality of materials they supply etc. They are called "Sheet Materials Wholesale". They show a basic delivery charge of £78 + vat for my area - no matter what quantity - and they show delivery to most of the country for that (green area) and additional charges for outside of the green area. I'm only interested in the £78 + vat though.

I'd be looking at around £400 total for the order: 10 x 18mm CHINESE HARDWOOD FACE POPLAR CORE EXTERNAL GRADE PLYWOOD B/BB CE2+ 2440MM X 1220MM (8′ X 4′) £321.50 Inc. Vat + delivery if I use them.
Have you tried Sydenhams at Keynsham?

They maybe more expensive for the wood but cheaper on delivery?

There is no such thing a cheap good quality plywood, it’s a commodity product, the cheaper the plywood, specially if Chinese, the more likely the levels of formaldehyde are going to be high. This will be no problem if used for shuttering but if you use it in a building then it will be off gassing into your space and from experience even a single sheet can make even a large (350m3) space uncomfortable. FWIW the off gassing can go on for years.

There is no such thing a cheap good quality plywood, it’s a commodity product, the cheaper the plywood, specially if Chinese, the more likely the levels of formaldehyde are going to be high. This will be no problem if used for shuttering but if you use it in a building then it will be off gassing into your space and from experience even a single sheet can make even a large (350m3) space uncomfortable. FWIW the off gassing can go on for years.
Thanks @sometimewoodworker... appreciate the reply andtheinformation.

Have you tried Sydenhams at Keynsham?

They maybe more expensive for the wood but cheaper on delivery?
Thanks @BigDean for your reply and suggestion. I've a very local Sydenhams half a mile from me and I could select... it's just the price difference - shocking last time I asked.

The one at Keynsham is a specific timber yard. Used to be Avon Plywood. They work differently to a “normal” Sydenhams.
Ah! Okay... "my" Sydenhams (😉) use to be called Tipadel - a smallish family building supplies business - until taken over by Sydenhams. They also have another large unit on the trading estate that does all sorts of tool hire... but I digress 🤣

I'll try the one you've mentioned over in Keynsham. With all this wet weather I'm not "desperate" to buy at the moment but trying to get acceptable prices ~ quality for the jobs 🙂 Appreciate the recommendation/suggestion👍

Ah! Okay... "my" Sydenhams (😉) use to be called Tipadel - a smallish family building supplies business - until taken over by Sydenhams. They also have another large unit on the trading estate that does all sorts of tool hire... but I digress 🤣

I'll try the one you've mentioned over in Keynsham. With all this wet weather I'm not "desperate" to buy at the moment but trying to get acceptable prices ~ quality for the jobs 🙂 Appreciate the recommendation/suggestion👍
Let us know how it goes. They could be a good option for me as well

Let us know how it goes. They could be a good option for me as well
Will do... as you're just down the road from me 😉

I did a search for them (used to be Avon plywood), looked for plywood products and they have quite a lot of different options to choose from. Easiest way to get a price is to phone. However, I'd prefer a quote/written price.
To get a price (quote) you have select from the available thickness to add to a quote form, select number required etc., etc.
Because of what they have I decided to just use their contact form, explaining what I need the ply for (+ cut sizes as they offer a cutting service). Waiting to hear back from them.
I also did a quick search on reviews... not as reassuring as I'd hoped - but then not many give a review unless unhappy for some reason.

@paulrbarnard and @BigDean - bit of an update for Sydenhams in Keynsham. Received the quote today. I asked about delivery and also some cutting to size.

Below price is minus the cutting (£14.26 + vat), which I feel is extremely reasonable for what I asked, 8 cuts total:

10 x 2440x1220x18mm FarEast BB/CC Ply EN636-355.94559.4020.00% PEFC @£55.94 each = £559.40 + £25 delivery + 20% vat. = £701.28.

The "Sheet Materials Wholesale", 10 x 18mm CHINESE HARDWOOD FACE POPLAR CORE EXTERNAL GRADE PLYWOOD B/BB CE2+ 2440MM X 1220MM (8′ X 4′) price: £267.00 + £78 delivery + 20% = £415.08

£286.20 more than the first company (SMW) I was asking if members had experience in using. £55.94 compared to £26.79 ex vat per sheet. Mmmm...

@paulrbarnard and @BigDean - bit of an update for Sydenhams in Keynsham. Received the quote today. I asked about delivery and also some cutting to size.

Below price is minus the cutting (£14.26 + vat), which I feel is extremely reasonable for what I asked, 8 cuts total:

10 x 2440x1220x18mm FarEast BB/CC Ply EN636-355.94559.4020.00% PEFC @£55.94 each = £559.40 + £25 delivery + 20% vat. = £701.28.

The "Sheet Materials Wholesale", 10 x 18mm CHINESE HARDWOOD FACE POPLAR CORE EXTERNAL GRADE PLYWOOD B/BB CE2+ 2440MM X 1220MM (8′ X 4′) price: £267.00 + £78 delivery + 20% = £415.08

£286.20 more than the first company (SMW) I was asking if members had experience in using. £55.94 compared to £26.79 ex vat per sheet. Mmmm...
No competition then. I would share a delivery with you, but don’t currently have a vehicle able to fit 8x4s in to be able to pick them up. Let us know how you get on.

Ouch.

No competition then. I would share a delivery with you, but don’t currently have a vehicle able to fit 8x4s in to be able to pick them up. Let us know how you get ona.
@BigDean A share of delivery charges is a helpful point... and an appreciated offer 🙂
Would you be able to find someone or a vehicle to help with collecting? How many sheets would you be looking at - and when? As I mentioned, I'm not in a hurry at the moment so can wait. Understanding the prices can change in-between.

@BigDean A share of delivery charges is a helpful point... and an appreciated offer 🙂
Would you be able to find someone or a vehicle to help with collecting? How many sheets would you be looking at - and when? As I mentioned, I'm not in a hurry at the moment so can wait. Understanding the prices can change in-between.
I am away in the US at the moment. When I return I need to measure up to line the garage, so can see some benefit in a joint order. Will come back to you if you can wait a couple of weeks.

I am away in the US at the moment. When I return I need to measure up to line the garage, so can see some benefit in a joint order. Will come back to you if you can wait a couple of weeks.
Can't see me doing my job/s until March onwards so no worries waiting.

Haven Timber (Norton St Philip) has some decent 18mm ply on offer at the moment

Sydenhams took over Avon Ply... you might be able to get a good deal there, but I avoid what used to be Tipadel unless I can't help it. several times I've been quoted one price on the phone and a higher one at the counter

I'd recommend FABS near Beckington/Rode - always get very good service from them, good prices, and free delivery

Haven Timber (Norton St Philip) has some decent 18mm ply on offer at the moment
Cheers @richnfamous 👍 Just got some pressure treated timbers from them and noticed the prices of their 18mm ply - 'though haven't seen the quality as yet. Was going to take a look as not far from Frome. I've seen their ad in the local free paper. Delivery for £25 beats the other I mentioned.

Sydenhams took over Avon Ply... you might be able to get a good deal there, but I avoid what used to be Tipadel unless I can't help it. several times I've been quoted one price on the phone and a higher one at the counter

I'd recommend FABS near Beckington/Rode - always get very good service from them, good prices, and free delivery
I'll check FABS out for the ply. Free delivery is a bonus for sure. Had to delay the job for the ply due to the weather we've been having... wet, wet, wet. Could only store in the house - misses would object 😉

Cheers @richnfamous 👍 Just got some pressure treated timbers from them and noticed the prices of their 18mm ply - 'though haven't seen the quality as yet. Was going to take a look as not far from Frome. I've seen their ad in the local free paper. Delivery for £25 beats the other I mentioned.
the quality is pretty good - good finish and hardwood all the way through - but not as stable as birch ply

Back