Birch Plywood for Furniture - Online Retailers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryHL

Reaction score
Any decent timber merchant should be able to source good Birch plywood .... the BIG problem with online is the delivery cost .... I looked a while ago and the delivery cost was more than the 3 sheets of ply I wanted!!
If your own transport is a problem, again most decent merchants will cut the sheets down for you to manageable sizes (or even to your cut-list)

Depending on the size you want, I have found Lazer Ply a good source of birch ply. Delivery costs are £6.95, which seems quite good to me. Delivery is usually in a couple of days.

Depending on the size you want, I have found Lazer Ply a good source of birch ply. Delivery costs are £6.95, which seems quite good to me. Delivery is usually in a couple of days.
Do you have a geographic location/URL for your supplier please? The only source I can find is for A4 size sheets for hobby projects? The OP (and I) would be looking for full size 8' x 4' sheets

Ive found the prices for Birch Ply delivery to be exorbitant. How a company can charge £125.00 for delivery when Wickes can do it for £12.00 is beyond me.

I was quoted over £100 for delivery of a 600mm x 1500mm sheet of black MDF.

Utterly astonishing the prices people charge. Its almost as if they don't want the business.

Years ago when I needed a part sheet of 25mm birch ply, I approached a shop-fitting company. I actually went rather than phoned. They were remarkably helpful, and charged me a fair price for a cut piece. Always worth looking if there are any business users of sheet goods in your area.

Second point; any good local trade supplier can order birch ply for you. Yes, you'll pay commission but it still might work out well. I recently bought two sheets of B/BB plus 3 off 1.8m X 28mm X 160mm of maple for £240. (Can't remember sheet prices only the final bill.)

Last edited:
Looks a bit expensive to me.

Timbmet are normally pretty good on birch ply and have different grades. I normally get B/BB but to be fair the BB sides are pretty decent too with minimal patches which are done very neatly.

I was looking at getting some for a project a few weeks ago and found this was a good price but mainly if you get a pallet full. ( also only bb grade both sides ) .

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/timber-sheets/sheet-materials/plywood-sheets/birch-plywood
Ollie

I live in West Wales and neither Timbmet or Meyers will deliver to my area so any suggestions anyone please
Have you got a Huws Gray Ridgeons builders merchants near you? I get my birch ply through them, good price and quality

I've used these people CutList | Sheet materials Cut & Edged, Spray Prime/Lacquer, Shaker doors - for top grade birch ply - they cut the sheets for me to the sizes I specified . . . I did get a price for delivery which I can't recall bu t was reasonable . . . in the event I was going that way and could get the pieces in my car so collected. Fantastic service for cutting and superb quality boards.

I wanted a piece of 600 x 795 30mm B/BB for a new router table top and it cost me £42 free postage on eBay and great quality. I then needed a a piece 600 x 300 18mm B/BB for the fence but the eBay cost was disproportionately high so I contacted a local joinery firm and got an offcut cut to size for £10.

Because I wanted a thick top and there was no prospect of my successfully gluing together 2 sheets of 18mm in my cold, damp shop. Also MDF just wouldn't survive in it either and I have a tendency to want to make the best job of anything I build and it was only 40 quid.

It's at sanding stage so I'll post a few pictures soon.

To answer the question, yes, I have bought from sheet materials wholesale twice or three times. B/BB ply in 6, 9 18 and 24 thickness, plus some MR MDF. They import from various factories and this is evident usually by the patch shapes. The oval ones are best - smaller. I got free delivery, but I had to ask for it (they have a sliding scale).

Quality is not as good as Latham's but price is much less.

My experience of buying from SMW is that the quality is often better than you might expect. I have had quite a number of BB sheets with no patches on either side. And one or two that I rejected for excess patches. They just credited these and did not require return.

They usually employ self employed delivery drivers in a van. One man so you will need to help unload. Often they pack between an MDF top and bottom sheet (if you have bought quite a bit of ply) and they always give these to me.

Oh - edit. Basically no voids. One or two very small pin hole gaps in the ply layers straight off the track saw. The surface cuts well. But I am super careful (flat top, good saw, sharp blade, score first. My saw has auto score.)

Last edited:
Back