Without Beer, People are Going to Find Out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smells? Decades ago a part of Truro early in the morning smelled wonderful - the Furniss factory baking gingerbreads. It was worth walking that way just for the smell.
Smell?

I used to go through Banbury quite often and the aroma of coffee was great. Glad I didn't live there though!

Phil

Admittedly, some other watery concoction like budweiser made to try to give people who don't like the taste of beer something that they'll be able to tolerate.

Though not to be confused with Budweiser Budvar, the original Czech beer which is superb.

The Yanks just stole the name and attached it to some pish water.

The same with Stella Artois, the original Belgian brew was superb but then the bean counters reduced the ABV ( twice) and brewed it in London, now Wales.

It's now pish water.

A local brewery to me Thornbridge has done the same with Jaipur.

It was an award winning beer for many years, now it is not.

A great small brewer is Pictish, if you can find it. (Lancashire)

Or the Marble brewery (Manchester)

Or the Buxton brewery ( Derbyshire)

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the old joke: tourist in London to a passerby 'what's the best way to Cockfosters?' reply comes back in an Aussie drawl 'let a pom brew it'

Serious addition on the topic of beers.

I find most beers taste much better when made and consumed locally. I assume all Doom Bar is made in Cornwall - on draughty doesn’t taste as good once it gets past Bristol. Equally the “brewing a brand” in multiple places is rowlocks. Kingfisher tastes much better in Mumbai rather than the stuff that gets brewed somewhere in middle England. It looks the same but isn’t. Has anyone had a pint of Guinness anywhere in the world that tastes like it does in Dublin?

I do wonder if @D_W is going to fully appreciate London Pride in Philadelphia.
Doom Bar is no longer brewed in Cornwall, now Burton on Trent. Taste has changed slightly different water. I think its taste is not as distinctive now but it is still reasonable.

I do wonder if @D_W is going to fully appreciate London Pride in Philadelphia.

I'd have to drive 300 miles to figure that out. If the distributor's site is honest and it's not just something they *could* carry, I'll appreciate it from Pittsburgh, though. I like almost any good beer, as long as they're not weird (not a fan of flavored beers that have intentional food like flavors - strong berry flavors, spices, etc).

My mum worked in the accounting office there and could buy "rejects", I think every week. They were chocolates that failed the quality control tests and came in a one pound brown paper bag.
Tasted fine, but looked a bit iffy.

when I was a kid, both of my parents were teachers, which is a pretty solid profession from the northeast through the rust belt, but my mother always felt like they needed to spend all of their time making and selling on the craft circuit on top of that.

Two of the venues had looser constraints and allowed non-craft vendors at their discretion. No imports or booths selling imported stuff that was made to look like craft circuit wares, BUT, in those, mother's booth was always next to a bulk candy seller / salvage, whatever. He managed to get anything that was cast aside for being broken or damaged, usually around a third of first quality cost. The area where I grew up was a little south of Hershey, PA and west of a whole bunch of candy and chocolate makers going toward philadelphia. It was like heaven. I'd save my pennies and buy pounds of stuff from the guy. Strangely, I was a skinny little kid and didn't get fat until I got married - and wouldn't think of eating bags full of candy.

Though not to be confused with Budweiser Budvar, the original Czech beer which is superb.

The Yanks just stole the name and attached it to some pish water.

The same with Stella Artois, the original Belgian brew was superb but then the bean counters reduced the ABV ( twice) and brewed it in London, now Wales.

It's now pish water.

A local brewery to me Thornbridge has done the same with Jaipur.

It was an award winning beer for many years, now it is not.

A great small brewer is Pictish, if you can find it. (Lancashire)

Or the Marble brewery (Manchester)

Or the Buxton brewery ( Derbyshire)

I think you're right - I would guess the second line below the name on each listing suggests the belgian owned, former american budweiser.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/search/?q=budvar
Separately, when I looked up the budweiser company information on wiki to confirm that inbev is belgian, I was surprised to hear that budweiser and miller were the two most consumed brands of beer in the world. But they do serve the domestic car parking lots here.

By that, I mean one of the things my English friend who moved here to the states taught me was if you go to a restaurant that claims to be italian or greek or whatever, check the parking lot. Assuming you've not been there, of course. If the parking lot is almost entirely domestic cars, the food will be boring or terrible. It's not 100% reliable, but it's not a bad test.

I remember reading in a trade mag some 40 years ago that Whitbread (iirc) was to start brewing San Miguel under licence. It was to be identical to the original except that the s.g. would be reduced from 5.2% to 3.5% - how anyone with a brain thought that a beer brewed so much weaker with different water was going to be the same, who knows? Besides which its tasting wonderful on a Spanish beach on holiday doesn't mean it'll taste wonderful in your kitchen on a rainy winter's day. I don't think it ever came off, though.
The local brewery, Devenish Redruth brewed the excellent, popular Wessex PA until they decided to move its production to a sister brewery in Weymouth - it was brewed with totally different water and the quality and sales fell off a cliff.
One of the Watney's beers - Starlight - was so weak that if it was 0.1% weaker it could have legally been sold to children.
Doom Bar is brewed by Molson Coors - our best local brewery, Skinner's has just gone bust.

Pink dye added to farmed Salmon, smoked kippers - contains 'liquid smoke'.

Brewers alter the local water to resemble that of native brews, those that can be bothered of course.

It's all much of a race to the bottom in my opinion.

I remember reading in a trade mag some 40 years ago that Whitbread (iirc) was to start brewing San Miguel under licence. It was to be identical to the original except that the s.g. would be reduced from 5.2% to 3.5% - how anyone with a brain thought that a beer brewed so much weaker with different water was going to be the same, who knows? Besides which its tasting wonderful on a Spanish beach on holiday doesn't mean it'll taste wonderful in your kitchen on a rainy winter's day. I don't think it ever came off, though.
The local brewery, Devenish Redruth brewed the excellent, popular Wessex PA until they decided to move its production to a sister brewery in Weymouth - it was brewed with totally different water and the quality and sales fell off a cliff.
One of the Watney's beers - Starlight - was so weak that if it was 0.1% weaker it could have legally been sold to children.
Doom Bar is brewed by Molson Coors - our best local brewery, Skinner's has just gone bust.
So Phil it is still brewed in Cornwall says so on the pump in the Newquay here

The tragedy with farmed Salmon in Scotland is the farms are now operated by Swedish and Norwegian companies where the farming of Salmon is now illegal.

Smoking used to be promoted as having no harmful effects for decades. ££££££££££££££

Factory farmed salmon is promoted as being healthy due to it's Omega 3 fatty acid content.

Others have a different view.

Most Toxic Food in the World? Farmed Salmon.​

Food testing reveals farmed salmon is one of the most toxic foods in the world, having more in common with junk food than health food.

Sunny delight anyone ?

Last edited:
Farmed Salmon is full of chemicals to try and off set the sea lice and and damage done in the cages, if you ever saw the condition of these fish fresh from the cage you would never eat farmed Salmon. Ohh and the un-eaten food thrown into the cages that accumulates on the bed of the water course which festers and rots contaminating the downstream water.

Factory farmed salmon is promoted as being healthy due to it's Omega 3 fatty acid content.

Just an off the cuff comment, but isn't the fatty acid balance less favorable (more omega 6, less omega 3?)

I may be confusing this with grass fed vs. grain fed beef.

Back