Without Beer, People are Going to Find Out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa's Stout. And so will I be if I drink too much of this.

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_182814.jpg
    IMG_20221121_182814.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Well D W if you need London Pride explaining try some of the names of ales here Doom Bar, Jail Ale, Fraidknot,Propper Job to name just a few unless you like cider then there's Old Moot

Funny thing about the English language, we used to have a Scot who visited here every year or two. He's gone and gotten married and had kids, so it's infrequent now.

But any time I hear about "proper" I think of him. I'm pretty sure he said "should get a proper job" and "he's a proper knob" or something like that several hundred times.

Or maybe proper and knob weren't in the same sentence. The kids haven't got a clue why he's talking about door parts.

And...."duh ye have any savorrdddy fuuuud heauuhhre.....or is it all just suuuugarrrrr?"

"aye?"

...."I think we have some foods that add salt to the sugar......that's as close as you get".

Norwich, where I was born and grew up used to smell of beer from the Watney's brewery and chocolate from Rowntree Mackintosh.
We used to say that Watney's going down tasted like any other beer coming up.........😝

Norwich, where I was born and grew up used to smell of beer from the Watney's brewery and chocolate from Rowntree Mackintosh.
We used to say that Watney's going down tasted like any other beer coming up.........😝
I never knew Rowntrees were in Norwich. Their last original building in York is currently being converted to flats. Another great British brand that ended up owned by a big conglomerate!

My mum worked in the accounting office there and could buy "rejects", I think every week. They were chocolates that failed the quality control tests and came in a one pound brown paper bag.
Tasted fine, but looked a bit iffy.

Serious addition on the topic of beers.

I find most beers taste much better when made and consumed locally. I assume all Doom Bar is made in Cornwall - on draughty doesn’t taste as good once it gets past Bristol. Equally the “brewing a brand” in multiple places is rowlocks. Kingfisher tastes much better in Mumbai rather than the stuff that gets brewed somewhere in middle England. It looks the same but isn’t. Has anyone had a pint of Guinness anywhere in the world that tastes like it does in Dublin?

I do wonder if @D_W is going to fully appreciate London Pride in Philadelphia.

I find most beers taste much better when made and consumed locally. I assume all Doom Bar is made in Cornwall - on draughty doesn’t taste as good once it gets past Bristol. Equally the “brewing a brand” in multiple places is rowlocks. Kingfisher tastes much better in Mumbai rather than the stuff that gets brewed somewhere in middle England. It looks the same but isn’t. Has anyone had a pint of Guinness anywhere in the world that tastes like it does in Dublin?

I agree local beer always taste best locally, my local one is Orkney brew
E793B894-128F-4479-A0E4-0329E26C6277.jpeg

Kingfisher in India gives you a tremendous hangover as it's full of sulfites, and believe me it's a nasty hangover. Guinness in the UK tastes the same as it does in Dublin/Ireland as it's all brewed over there now. The secret to good Guinness is how the lines are maintained.

Rowntree Mackintosh was called Caley's when I was a lad growing up in Norwich, If I remember correctly it burnt down once in the 60's I believe.
I can remember the smell of chocolate when you walked anywhere near it.

Has anyone had a pint of Guinness anywhere in the world that tastes like it does in Dublin?
My daughter and her partner did the tour of the brewery and the guide asked if the Guinness tasted any better to them, they replied that it was definitely the best they'd had. He told them the only reason it tasted better was because it was fresher, not because it was any different - it had be brewed only a few hours. Of course, it's a little like sangria in Spain or ouzo on a beach in Greece - it tastes better than it does at home because you want it and expect it to.

I was speaking to a Guinness rep I dealt with a few decades ago and said I'd had a few pints in Irish pubs in London (my mother always said I was like my father - if there was one pub in a city you shouldn't set foot in, that's where I'd be found), and that Guinness there was excellent - I had been told that it was because it was Dublin brewed and not Park Royal where our came from. He said this was nonsense it was all Park Royal - it was just that they served such vast amounts of it it was always fresh and clean. It's all Dublin now, Park Royal ceased brewing in 2005. They might be in Dublin for a while, though - in 1759, at the age of 34, Arthur Guinness signed a lease for the St. James's Gate Brewery, Dublin. He leased the brewery for 9000 years at an annual rent of £45.

The secret to good Guinness is how the lines are maintained.
I used to clean all the lines every week and every 4 - 6 weeks I'd strip the taps and couplings and soak them in hot water and detergent, then flush them and the lines with strong salted water to get rid of any detergent taint.
A couple of times a year the Guinness rep visited and checked the quality and temperature of the draught and the date codes on the bottles, then he would go to the cellar and strip the couplings down. One morning I'd just - literally five minutes - finished the big clean when who should walk in ......... yes, the Guinness rep. He went through the normal routine and asked to go to the cellar where he stripped the couplings down. He stopped and looked at me. Is there anything wrong? I asked. He burst out laughing and said no, it's just that I've never seen a clean one before.

Back