Without Beer, People are Going to Find Out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Spectric most of the Premiership big team players apparently have their wages paid into offshore accounts so that they pay zero tax!
No wonder Ronaldo et al are so rich, eh?
No they don’t. They pay tax on their wages through PAYE just like any other employed person in the UK. This means it’s deducted at source before it reaches their bank account (on or offshore).

Image rights, sponsorship and licensing deals are currently subject to scrutiny by HMRC but these involve the use of service companies rather than hiding money in offshore bank accounts (which is tax evasion and illegal)

Last edited:
Can you translate what fuller's london pride is for an American?

I can't imagine that anything football would've gone over well in the UK. I know there have been a sparse few american football fans over there, but talk about trying to make market share make sense in a place where nobody would be interested!!

We did have fifa soccer...I think. Maybe not.

Tecmo bowl was the nintendo football dominator over here and there were a couple of baseball games that did well - the original Nintendo one did OK, and then RBI baseball also did well.

Selling football over there would be like selling Cricket here. Nobody would know what the rules are except people in academia from asia and england.
Well D W if you need London Pride explaining try some of the names of ales here Doom Bar, Jail Ale, Fraidknot,Propper Job to name just a few unless you like cider then there's Old Moot

@Spectric most of the Premiership big team players apparently have their wages paid into offshore accounts so that they pay zero tax!
No wonder Ronaldo et al are so rich, eh?
It's not that simple. You are taxed where you are resident for tax purposes... you can't just live and work in the UK and be paid for that work in another tax domain.

I've worked as a "non-resident for tax purposes" and it's a tightly controlled environment. Messing with HMRC is not a great plan

Lots of misinformation and uninformed speculation about this sort of stuff. Mind you, it's the sort of casual throwaway comment that's good for stoking unwarranted prejudice, resentment and envy.

Last edited:
I really can't remember what sort of beer I drank at the time, but I'm 100% certain it wasn't Budweiser. Probably Fuller's London Pride.
Around 1987 I lived a few hundred yards from their brewery so it was the obvious beer to drink in the local pubs, but I soon learnt not to do that. I don't know why but just half a pint of the stuff would give me the most awful headache next morning. I haven't drunk any of it since, even though it is one of the few British beers I can easily buy here. It makes me shudder to think of it.

Well D W if you need London Pride explaining try some of the names of ales here Doom Bar, Jail Ale, Fraidknot,Propper Job to name just a few unless you like cider then there's Old Moot
Actually, I was lucky to find that the local distributor retail shop has London pride, so I will try a case.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

I can't imagine that anything handegg would've gone over well in the UK.
Fixed that for you ;)

TBH I used to quite enjoy watching the game. Wouldn't claim to have understood that much of what was going on though.

But back on topic ;)

1668968634561.png

No they don’t. They pay tax on their wages through PAYE just like any other employed person in the UK. This means it’s deducted at source before it reaches their bank account (on or offshore).

Image rights, sponsorship and licensing deals are currently subject to scrutiny by HMRC but these involve the use of service companies rather than hiding money in offshore bank accounts (which is tax evasion and illegal)
Funny how trying to keep your money in your own pocket is illegal but HMRC demanding money with menaces is apparently okay. It's not as though it's actually going to be put to good use either - if my accountant were to take as little care of my money as HMG does, I'd fire him and then sue for the return of his fees for the last few decades.....

Funny how trying to keep your money in your own pocket is illegal but HMRC demanding money with menaces is apparently okay. It's not as though it's actually going to be put to good use either - if my accountant were to take as little care of my money as HMG does, I'd fire him and then sue for the return of his fees for the last few decades.....
I don’t get your point JimJay.

In the UK there is an underlying legal principle that you can arrange your affairs so as to minimise the tax that you pay. A good example is the choice some people who own their own businesses to be remunerated by dividends versus salary as the tax and national insurance implications can be advantageous. This is called tax avoidance.

Non disclosure of taxable income is different - it’s called tax evasion and is illegal.

Our elected government can change the rules and the electorate can change the government if they don’t like the tax system. If we didn’t have rules on taxation paying taxes becomes voluntary which defeats the point.

HMRC enforce the rules. They don’t demand money with menaces.

As for how effectively our taxes get spent we’ll all have an opinion on that and of course we all get a vote as well if we don’t like it and want to change it.

It may be different where you live but that’s a very high level overview of the system in the UK.

Saving all of these beers - not a big beer drinker - makes me sleepy and then wakes me up to pee, but definitely do like to try stuff that hasn't had its nuts removed to make it palatable for the budweiser segment of the market.

Has Directors had a mention? During my youth the beer of choice was Watneys Red Barrel, not a great beer, but the only one available in many public house's in those days.

Back