Wilson Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidisGuid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.
Just scored an ex college Wilson Bros. 24" planer thicknesser and I'm wondering if there are any manuals or other literature out there relating to it? The model is a 24 PKF first commissioned in '74.
Also may require a spare part anyone any ideas of sources?
Andy

The company, last heard of in NI (previously leeds) seems to be dissolved.
I'd say you have no chance of spares so you would have to fabricate what you need.
P/Ts are not complex machines so a mix of common sense and generic procedures for knife setting etc should be all you need. Plenty of wadkin manuals around in the usual places might help you.

You might just find something on OWWM as machines of this era have been known to make it over the pond.

As Bob said, no Wilson Bros machinery gurus in NI presently; there is a Dust extraction mob in Sunny Sheffield, seems closer to Leeds than us'ns over here. Makes me wonder though: was W.B. the vendors, rather than the manufacturers?

Sam

Cheers folks.

Sam, pretty sure Wilson Bros. are the manufacturers.

Got an engineering mate on the case with the part.

Andy

Wilson Brothers shuffled off this mortal coil in the early 1990s having downsized and gone through a slow and painful death over many years. Unlike White's of Paisley or Cooksley (or even Wadkin in their final death throes) they never seem to have tried turning into a machinery dealer towards the end. Last products to my knowledge were double rafter saws (based on deWalt industrial radial arm saws) and spindle moulders. A great shame for a firm which first opened its doors in 1847

I can recall someone in Wales selling off many of the engineering drawings and loads of spare castings about 5 or 6 years back - possibly from the liquidation. The NI address is probably only that of the insolvency practioners who handled the disposal of assets. Wilson's were always made in Leeds

For manuals you might want to try Dalton's in Nottingham (long established) or Scott & Sargent down south. In Glasgow The Saw Centre might be able to help. These three are not retail outlets - they are industrial machinery suppliers

I don't know Wilson in particular but old cast iron machines are usually very good!

What spare part do you need? It is usually possible to bring old parts to a good machinist and order a new one. Worn cast iron surfaces can sometimes be scraped to fit and cracked cast iron can sometimes be welded or hard soldered. Some simple castings can sometimes be substituted with fabrications welded up from heavy hot rolled mild steel plate. Bearings and electrical components are usually standard industrial parts. I have been through all that and ended up with some very good machinery in the end.

In a worst case scenario when a cast iron part is damaged beyond repair it should be possible to make oversized wooden patterns and core boxes with allowances for machining and send them to a foundry to have the part cast. If you ask some steam engine or steam train entusiasts they will problably know all foundries in Britain that still do that type of work. Though such a casting would cost a bit of money.

If there's a will there's a way........ and if a part was possible to make once it should be possible to make again.

Lovely machines, beautifully made, and a delight to use. I baught a Sedwick after being pipped to the post on an lovely 18" Wilson. I personally rank them with Wadkin and Robinson as machine manufactures.

I like the handles to wind up and down the tables, the mechanism is wonderful and so easy to adjust accurately. I'd be surprised if anything apart from the odd bearing needs changing, a good strip down, ease and grease after no doubt many years without serving will fix most problems. Proper British engineering at its best. Well done....its envy surfacing I'm afraid.

Back