Willow bandsaw fitting new polyurethand tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
My Willow bandsaw is in general good order and I am about to fit new polurethane tyres to the 3 wheels once the old rubber is cleaned off.
I would appreciate advice on what kind of adhesive to use and the best method of fitting the new tyres with the adhesive bond. The tyres will be a good tight fit as they are of a smaller diameter than the wheels. The photos shows the saw and wheels. Also if anyone have a Willow saw or experience of it in use, that would be valuable information for me.
The Willow has fibre guides originally. Would it be a good idea to consider upgrading to ball bearing blade guides?
Willow.jpg
Willow open.jpg
W wheel.jpg
W wheel and tyre.jpg

Thank you Sachakins, Yes I have seen this and several others, most helpful. My question is for a suggestion as to what adhesive to use. The tyres came from the US but the contact adhesive they use is not available in the UK. I do not anticipate any difficulties in getting the tyres onto the wheels but I do not know what adhesive to use or even if adhesive is required although recommended by the tyre suppliers?

Suppose you may have seen this video before,
Might it be worth trying something similar with such small wheels, don't know.
Might it be more of a fight than for larger wheels, could be.
Some cobblers use an oven for the job of warming the adhesive,
but wait for it to completely dry on both surfaces, the oven seems favourable for
porous surfaces needing two coats or stuff needing primed possibly.
Just interesting to note the use of such adhesive.

@Viking I didn't spot your wheels are like whats seen on bandsaw mills, with a lip
on the back, I cant make out if there's a lip on the front of not, but it may seem so also.
(I was on another forum regarding that video, so had my folder open)
Might it be worth seeing how a dry fit works before considering what looks like a PITA with
affordable contact adhesive, if not wanting the more pricey slow set 24h epoxy, or 3m rubber and gasket adhesive, which some use.

Tom

Loctite AA 330 is a high performance glue ideally suited to the materials being bonded and recommended for the job.
Apply the glue, spray the activator and hustle !

This listing is cheaper than typical retail.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304173566048
But it's not an easy task because it must be done quickly and the stuff is very sticky.
Don't even think of doing this without taking the wheels off.

The advantage is that unlike contact adhesive, there isn't an instant grab. You have a short period to get the tyre onto the wheel and the tension evened out before it cures.

@Viking I didn't spot your wheels are like whats seen on bandsaw mills, with a lip
on the back, I cant make out if there's a lip on the front of not, but it may seem so also.
(I was on another forum regarding that video, so had my folder open)
Might it be worth seeing how a dry fit works before considering what looks like a PITA with
affordable contact adhesive, if not wanting the more pricey slow set 24h epoxy, or 3m rubber and gasket adhesive, which some use.

Tom
Thanks Tom, Yes there is a lip on 2 of the wheels and I think it could work without adhesive.

if they are a tight'ish fit I guess u wont need glue...
worth a try.....it's no great prob to glue em after the trial run.....
Perhaps roll around under the already fitted tyres something like a lollipop stick, use the loctite and activator in the gaps....
the glue will be microns thick so wont effect the performance of the tyre....
it's the wheel with the motor that does all the work, the others just roll with the flow.....

I wonder if this may work.
Summerbrite 3M VHB Tape 5925 Double Sided Tape Heavy Duty, Double Sided Foam Tape 16FT Length, 0.94inch Width, Waterproof Mounting Tape for Car, Home Decor, Office Decor, Made of 3M VHB Tape https://amzn.eu/d/i0dMXmw

I have the same bandsaw. I had to heat up my new tight fitting tyres in hot water to get them to go on. When they cooled they were so tight they didn’t need adhesive.

Latest posts

Back