Wildlife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
This year we have had lots of wild things come to visit. Lots of very tame hares which like to watch me using the chainsaw. Few days ago whilst having afternoon tea we were visited by a pair of "grass snakes". I use the term loosely in the French sense.

gs1.JPG

gs2.JPG

Attachments

• gs1.JPG
    gs1.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,185
  • gs2.JPG
    gs2.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 1,185
We get badgers regularly churning over our compost heaps and occasional doing some ploughing of the lawns.

There's a grass snake often having a swim in the pond and sparrow hawk or two who find easy meals swiping great **** off the peanut feeders.

Isn't nature grand :)

They are lovely photos Woody. They are Western whip snakes. We get them around us and you are about as far north as they go. Lovely animals. They can and will bite if cornered but they are not poisonous.

The general rule of thumb is that if they have round pupils, in their eyes before any smartass gets in :roll: , they are not generally dangerous. Slit pupils and they generally are

These 2 weren't fighting either, but they seemed to be enjoying eachothers company :shock:

We also had a couple of these come through the garden a few years back. Ladder snakes. One about 2 metres long, the other slightly shorter. They are beauties and harmless.

Jonzjob":3dx7acv3 said:
The general rule of thumb is that if they have round pupils, in their eyes before any smartass gets in :roll: , they are not generally dangerous. Slit pupils and they generally are

Interesting article here on pupil shape in snakes http://www.newscientist.com/article...lp-snakes-ambush-their-prey.html#.VXNsh-S37tQ

And here is another, in a juvenile sort of way I just couldn't help sharing the fact that lizards [and I have now discovered snakes too] have two penises. You'd think they'd look as happy as a dog with two c0cks [local saying in these parts]
http://snakesarelong.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/why-do-snakes-have-two-penises.html

Thanks John

I have seen them here at about two metres long, colouring varies quite a lot. They are certainly more aggressive than UK grass snakes :) Have been hissed at a few times. Only time they worry me is if they choose to share the pool with me, It is then that I feel vulnerable.

woodfarmer":2rsm3zge said:
Have been hissed at a few times. Only time they worry me is if they choose to share the pool with me, It is then that I feel vulnerable.

Yes, especially if they're the type of snake that are partial to small worms! :shock:

Back