Who else thinks this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what fatality rate would satisfy you?
You are missing the point, if something is like knitting, ie perfectly safe without risk then where is the excitment, there is nothing unexpected and once over thats it. People need to accept death, no good hiding or pretending it won't happen to me because the reaper will find you when your time is up, no starting over like some computer game that gives you another chance and it is just a fact of life. So when those kids jumped into their planes in WW2 knowing that their chances of survival were slim did they shy away and say No I cannot participate because that is dangerous and someone might get hurt! That is where things have changed, peoples mindset has been changed over time and we are becoming like jellyfish, ie no backbone.

I've absolutely no desire to see sportsmen and women injured or killed. I find it extraordinary and re-assuring that (for instance) an F1 driver can go into a barrier at 160mph and walk away apparently uninjured bar a few bruises.

Risk and uncertainty are part of a spectator sport intended to be exciting. An F1 analogy - uncertainty is whether the pit crew have a problem with the wheel gun, risk is whether a driver goes off the track attempting to overtake. Little doubt the latter is visually more exciting.

This is probably why I think BTCC (touring cars) a far better viewing experience than F1, with drivers obviously competing, rather than a triumph of the tecchies. Wind tunnel testing, airflow simulations, spring rates, ground effect etc do not make good viewing (interesting though they may be to some)

You are missing the point, if something is like knitting, ie perfectly safe without risk then where is the excitment, .....
Dunno it could make exciting telly: "The Great British Knitting Bee" "Come Knitting" "Celebrity Knit-Off" "Knit Island"
I can't wait! Better than bloody football!

You are missing the point, if something is like knitting, ie perfectly safe without risk then where is the excitment, there is nothing unexpected and once over thats it. People need to accept death, no good hiding or pretending it won't happen to me because the reaper will find you when your time is up, no starting over like some computer game that gives you another chance and it is just a fact of life. So when those kids jumped into their planes in WW2 knowing that their chances of survival were slim did they shy away and say No I cannot participate because that is dangerous and someone might get hurt! That is where things have changed, peoples mindset has been changed over time and we are becoming like jellyfish, ie no backbone.

That's literally the most hilarious/ridiculous post I've ever read on the internet. Good job.

formula 1 cars
Should be, any engine u like upto 5.5litres.....
only electronic ignition and ABS allowed....power steering is Ok but NO other driver aids allowed.....
running on proper PETROL without silencers....
no probs with crash cells or explosion proof fuel tanks.....
then we'll see if that little upstart from Stevenage is any good.....
that should make a good spector sport again....
oh, the trumped up midget that used to run the thing should be made to give all the money back and used for injured drivers etc
in the future.....
lastly, the championship winners engine must be put up for auction to raise money for charity....

bring it on......

lastly, the championship winners engine must be put up for auction to raise money for charity....

bring it on......

competitors' sponsors would likely have the highest bid.

I have no issue with the rules mentioned, though - it would be more interesting than listening to vacuum cleaner sounds. Would guess that 3 liters would be enough to make cars go fast enough.

The problem is the manufacturers and sponsors want to somehow turn the races into selling things - something like a 3 liter ferrari v12 probably doesn't appeal to iphone carrying manbunners.

At the same time, a battery car isn't that inspiring, even when someone "guarantees" you that a new dumpy looking crossover EV has "race technology" in it.

I have 2-0 to spain, my opponent has 1-0 spain, need another spanish goal

E85 fuel is on sale at (some) fuel stations, but it is hardly traditional petrol. Would you permit that? These are the sort of issues you run into with this approach.

There are also problems with fuel not being the same in different places / countries. If you tune an engine to run on 98 octane from Sainsburys what do you use at a competition in another country where there is no Sainsburys and pump fuel has maximum 95 octane with different additives etc?

These are not easy questions to answer. The obvious solution of a standard fuel used for all competitions in a championship has other problems, such as having to ship that standard fuel to all competitions and the added cost of doing so.

I reckon we’re going to penalties now

Due to the way it works, I have the advantage on previous correct scores so as long as neither of us get correct score (90 mins), I'm fine.
Still looks like both sides are giving it a go.

Proper petrol is what you fill the tank with at your local supermarket. If Sainsburys don't sell it, you can't use it!
Does it mater what fuel they use, petrol or methanol or maybe even electric and you may see some extreme engineering that will bring back competativeness because it is always a trade off, weight and power. Look at how Porsche developed the 917 engine, an aircooled flat twelve that propelled the car to over 120 mph in 5 secounds, that was when the rules allowed engineers to make power and not look for ways to work around the rules.

E85 fuel is on sale at (some) fuel stations, but it is hardly traditional petrol. Would you permit that? These are the sort of issues you run into with this approach.

There are also problems with fuel not being the same in different places / countries. If you tune an engine to run on 98 octane from Sainsburys what do you use at a competition in another country where there is no Sainsburys and pump fuel has maximum 95 octane with different additives etc?

These are not easy questions to answer. The obvious solution of a standard fuel used for all competitions in a championship has other problems, such as having to ship that standard fuel to all competitions and the added cost of doing so.
TVO. :LOL:

I used to play Golf with an ex-professional footballer, during one discussion he said that there was no difference between aggression and commitment.
Ah just though I also played Gold with a Professional Boxer a very high ranking one at that, his opinion was if you are aggressive i.e. angry you have already lost.

Proper petrol is what you fill the tank with at your local supermarket. If Sainsburys don't sell it, you can't use it!
Proper petrol is what is supplied to the race teams by the FIA and checked constantly during the week-end of any race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back