Which type of clamp would be your go to?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I still haven't really stocked up on my clamps yet.
If you had to buy some for multi purpose, every day use; which would you buy over the others, or would you rather make your own?

Thanks

To be honest, I haven't found a 'one clamp fits all'.

I could live with 8 long bar clamps and 8 F clamps of different sizes though

I'm generally making smaller things, not furniture. I don't use my long clamps very often.

I use plenty of 12-inch F-clamps. The two clamps I probably use the most are some Irwin 12-inch quick grips which are light and nimble: http://amzn.to/1rc3wcD

Cramp heads on 2"x1" wood for wide boards. Bessy F clamps and for good value heavy duty F clamps Urko.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I only have a couple of quick grip cramps and a couple of small F cramps right now.
Needing some bigger ones for glue ups.

Record t bar for clamping up , or lighter duty records if you think you'll only be doing smallish stuff.

Coley

ColeyS1":1ozvr87f said:
Record t bar for clamping up , or lighter duty records if you think you'll only be doing smallish stuff.

Coley

I'll be on the look out for those.
Theres a gentleman at my Carboot sales sells allot of record stuff, so I'll check there.

Thanks!

Here's my collection- I think I've finally reached the magic number where I don't wish I had more.
4282c2babb42510ba4875a516cff5852.jpg

The lighter duty ones are the ones on the left side. Imho there's several cheaper brands that look t bar (trying to be like record) but the quality just isn't there. Buy once buy record would be my advice if you go the t bar route ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a variety of clamps, and use my record sash clamps a lot for window and door builds.

However, i have a load of irwin quick clamps including 12" mini clamps at 6.99 from screwfix and these are used all the time. In fact, i think i now have 20 of the small ones as i buy them up when they are 2 for £10. They provide good clamping power and are clamped using one hand.

Well worth getting as part of a collection. I have f clamps, g clamps and sash clamps as well, but use these for loads.

Cheers

Nick

ColeyS1":3izsih0v said:
Here's my collection- I think I've finally reached the magic number where I don't wish I had more.
4282c2babb42510ba4875a516cff5852.jpg

The lighter duty ones are the ones on the left side. Imho there's several cheaper brands that look t bar (trying to be like record) but the quality just isn't there. Buy once buy record would be my advice if you go the t bar route ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's quite the collection you have there!
Mine amounts to the two smaller ones in the corner haha.

And agreed on the quality - I learnt the hard way :x

Thanks

Logger":3wso7wkk said:
I have a variety of clamps, and use my record sash clamps a lot for window and door builds.

However, i have a load of irwin quick clamps including 12" mini clamps at 6.99 from screwfix and these are used all the time. In fact, i think i now have 20 of the small ones as i buy them up when they are 2 for £10. They provide good clamping power and are clamped using one hand.

Well worth getting as part of a collection. I have f clamps, g clamps and sash clamps as well, but use these for loads.

Cheers

Nick

Yeah those small irwin ones are cool, those are the ones I have. I have a pair.
I'd love to get some sash clamps but unless I see any at a Carboot sale, I really can't afford it unfortunetly, haha

Thanks

For quick jobs I just use some cheap trigger operated 12" or 24" clamps (4 of each). I've got some 4ft sash clamps for larger stuff. I always wish I had more, or that they were 1" deeper, or.... etc etc

I have Bessy Kwik klamps that I like and I have a few Clarke F clamps which I find to be fine. Not sure what I'd get by paying more but I'm sure you'll enlighten me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all I'm new on here so be kind!
For doors and windows I use Record T bars, the best on the market as far as I know.
Have some Maxifix clamps which are fantastic for cabinet work, not cheap but you get what you pay for.
I really like the Irwin quick clamps, the heavier duty type have unbelievable clamping strength.

Why don't people use pipe clamps much on this side of the water - Pony Clamps for example. They always struck me as a good value alternative to the record t-bar clamps with some added flexibility by being able to change the pipe lengths.

I have some Pony Clamps and agree they are excellent but they weren't that easy to get over here?

Rod

I can't seem to find pipe clamps in the UK that aren't extortionate.

Has anyone tried the aluminium bar clamps (silverline and various other brands sell them). I know they're lightweight, but I don't know if they'll be able to provide enough clamping pressure for panel glue ups.

Latest posts

Back