Which Tablesaw - HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiviChris

Reaction score
google: Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2 Saw Bench

google: Charnwood W629 10'' Cast Iron Table Saw

Did have URLs but I've not got permissions to post them.

I've been psyching myself up for a good few months now to take the plunge and buy a nice cabinet type saw since my cheap and rather crappy mobile contractor's saw broke in the late summer. I was all ready to go for the 10inch Axminster saw bench for £825 (hoping to maybe pick one up in a sale event of some kind) but recently came across the Charnwood W629 for ~ £150-180 less.

They're both 10 inch, 2.2kw, the W629 comes with a sliding table but has a much smaller cast iron top. The Axminster comes with a locking (at both ends) fence compared with the Charnwood's one which secures with a screw mechanism at the front only.

So... what I'm looking for is for someone to make the decision for me! Which one should I go for. I've so far been using my workshop for small pieces of furniture and other hobby type projects. I should say that while the price saving would be nice, I'm happy to spend upto the Axi's £800 price tag if it's genuinely worth the investment, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Any advice/ help would be appreciated.

Chris

I think this issue polarises - but there is no way I would buy a new Tsaw in that price range. Either save quite a lot and look seconhand, or spend that budget and get something far better. The only new machine I run is a Festool Kapex, the least used and over-priced IMO, I have 2 bandsaws, a big Tsaw, a big planer thicknesser, pillar drill etc - all British-made, all second-hand and all excellent. Not everyone agrees of course !

where should I search for a second hand saw? just had a look on the for sale board but it's a behemoth at over 200 pages. Gumtree's so far been fruitless too. I'm in Central Scotland so van hire and a tank of diesel (or two depending on distance) would need to be factored in.

Cheers

Good old fleabay is a good place to get ideas of what is possible money wise for a 2nd hand saw table.

I am sure there are people on here that have the new machines you are interested in and I can see the appeal with your remote location, but it worth having a look at the 2nd hand market and see what you can get for your money

Makes: startrite, wadkin (ags), multico, sedgewick etc

Example:
I realise this is no good for you as it is 3 phase, but gives an idea of the quality of a 2nd hand machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wadkin-Bursgr ... 1743859707

I live in a place that is just about as remote at central Scotland....... that's not very remote at all..... and I have had machines transported from up to 600 kilometres away at a very reasonable cost. If there is a will there is a way.

All my stationary machines were bought secondhand.

I recently bought a saw and had spent a lot of time considering my options two of which were the ones you've boiled it down to. Had I proceeded I would have gone for the Charnwood as, despite already owning a number of 'White' Axminster machines, have lost confidence in their products based on the many reviews and reports I read online critical of their apparently diminished build quality.

I had also been monitoring the used market (mainly eBay) but most seemed to be located at the other end of the country (even Scotland!) and this gave me the logistical problem you have. There are plenty of 'man with a van' services available but how many would be happy to collect a 200kg table saw?

I eventually found a nice old Wadkin for sale that may be old but it oozes quality and will easily outlast me. There is a lot of choice out there mostly at low 'buyer collect' prices which may make travelling to buy worthwhile. Or you may, as I did, strike lucky and find just what you want nearer to home; mine was less than four miles away :D

Cheers,
John

Back