Which power tool next?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've got a table saw, circular saw, sanders etc but I haven't got nor can I decide between (for xmas from the mrs) ...

Jointer
Planer thicknesser
bandsaw
sliding compound mitre saw

If the you had everything else except these which would you get next and which could you do without getting for the foreseeable future?

Planer thicknesser....

If you want to rip say a 2x4 neither a table saw or band saw will cut it perfectly so your going to need to do a lot of sanding where as a planer thicknesser would be a great help.

I do a fair bit of pallet work and rip lengths but hate the sanding... I've put one on my Xmas list too.

If you have a thicknesser you can buy rough sawn 12"x3' or whatever and dimension it yourself. Rather than buying twisted cupped timber from builders merchants who buy PAR in and leave it stacked on it's end for months and then try to sell it to you for exorbitant prices.

Ok have calmed down now but if it was me, even though I don't yet have one, I would go for thicknesser.

Interesting, I would have said bandsaw, but it does depend on what you want to do. I use my bandsaw all the time. It's just so usable, that said a lot of what I do on it I could do on the table saw. PT is also a great bit of kit. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and used it in anger for the first time today. I had some 2x2 that needed to be about 25mm square. It did a beautiful job of it and mine is only a cheap PT.

+1 on the band saw, my most used power tool.

Pete

I had a similar thought process recently (minus the SCMS which I already had and use alot) and I went for the jointer (surface planer in English :)) and thinknesser. I got separates because it's much easier than having to switch back and forth on a combo. I went for them first because without straight and square stock to start with the rest doesn't matter, and its hard to find good timber from most merchants.

On saying that surface planers are hard to find on their own now. Off the top of my head the only one I have seen new is the Axminster CT1502 which is £700. For that you can get a good combo machine.

I picked up a used cast iron 6" jointer identical to all the ones sold in the US (which are all clones of each other) for £150 which I was well chuffed with, and a 13" wide thicknesser for £80 which was also a bargain. but I'm a patient Ebay stalker (and live in the sticks with less competition) :)

But I do very much want a bandsaw next, there is alot I would like to do that I cant do or is much easier on the Bandsaw.

Baldhead":1iujy1c8 said:
marcros":1iujy1c8 said:
What do you plan to make?
+1 and what's your budget?

Baldhead

As a beginner im currently making a few jigs and setting things up. I'm a Steve Ramsay / Izzy Swan etc fan so copying things they make is my type of thing. Decorative items, toys for the kids etc rather than furniture.

Also I tend to source wooden items to use for stock rather than buying in twisty cupped wood from Jewsons etc because (a) it's straighter and already stable stuff and (b) I like recycling upcycling etc so I need to process what I dismantle into ready to use stock :)

go for dewalt radial arm saw, will do cross cut, flip side on and will be rip saw and with the one ive got has a spindle attachment,will also wind up and down for joints half laps tennons ect,will pick one up on ebay for £150-160.If you have never used one just look on youtube they are realy good all round tool hope this helps topchippyles

As I tend to recycle wood from anything I can get my hands on the planer thicknesser suggestion seems probably the right choice.

Which brands are recommended / to be avoided?

:)

zodiac":3ov7512q said:
Baldhead":3ov7512q said:
marcros":3ov7512q said:
What do you plan to make?
+1 and what's your budget?

Baldhead

As a beginner im currently making a few jigs and setting things up. I'm a Steve Ramsay / Izzy Swan etc fan so copying things they make is my type of thing. Decorative items, toys for the kids etc rather than furniture.

Also I tend to source wooden items to use for stock rather than buying in twisty cupped wood from Jewsons etc because (a) it's straighter and already stable stuff and (b) I like recycling upcycling etc so I need to process what I dismantle into ready to use stock :)
I would go for a good quality bandsaw, with a blade from Ian at Tuffsaws, Ian's blades give you a nice smooth finish which can be further cleaned up with a sander, buy one with sufficient cutting depth for the projects you intend making with an inch or two spare.

Baldhead

Have you got a belt sander? I am reluctant to put salvaged wood through my planer or thicknesser because of hidden nasties. It depends on where the wood is coming from of course- old furniture is relatively safe, old fence posts less so.

Latest posts

Back