Which Jonter / Planer - Advice for first machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I am seeking some advice on buying a first planer. Due to space restrictions I am looking at the small benchtop models. So far have looked at SIP 01344 6" planer, Rexon J1550BQ and Axminster WP150 (only on spec - not in the flesh).

My leaning at the moment is towards the SIP, due to the fact that it has a cast iron table and fence. The downside of this is the weight of 42kg.

The other machines are fitted with aluminium fence and weigh considerably less (23-26kg)- does this necessarily indicate a potentially less accurate product?

So would appreciate any advice and suggestions including alternatives.

Cheers :D
Tony

I originally thought about getting a benchtop model but with a bit of rejigging my space I fitted in a lyndhurts 6" jointer and i have to say its probably been one of my best purchase's. I use it all the time and its flat surfaces are usefull for reference. In terms of value for money its superb and benchtop models just seem like a temporary step.
I know thats not what you want to hear but I think its worth making the space to get the accuracy. It feels much more secure with timber and lugging a benchtop in and out cannot be good for you.
Its worth notting the footprint is quite small as you can put lower wheeled boxes under the table to either side. My festool extractors sits uder the right half and my box of screws and jigs etc the left.
Owen

I have no experience of these but if you like there is a review of a couple in one of this months magazines, I've got it at home so can pass the details on to you later this evening or tomorrow if you'd like :)

I have to agree with Corset. I had the SIP benchtop planer and it was too heavy to make it truly portable, it was noisy, the tables were too short, the locking mechanism for the fence was pants and it takes up more space than a larger model by the time you have cupboard space to store it and a pair of saw-horses to use it.

I'd seriously save up a bit more and buy a floorstanding model such as this. The tables are about 500mm longer than the SIP which doesn't seem that much but for a planer every little helps :lol:

Tony,
One of the Woodworking magazines reviewed the SIP, Axminster, Rexon and AN other I think this month.
They commented on the weight of the SIP and were critical about the one I cant remember the name of and chose the Rexon, although the performance of the SIP and Axminster seemed to be ok. In the end it would probably come down to personal preference, so see if you can have a play with them.
Regards the portable versus static argument I have a Rexon bench top planer which is identical to the Axminster WP150, other than the colour. When I first got it everything I planed came out tapered. After much experimenting and research I found out this was because the blades were set too low (by Rexon) I adjusted them to the correct height and have not looked back.
I have a small workshop with no room for a floor standing planer, the Rexon lives under the lathe. I take it out and put it on the bench when I need it and it works very well there, I put it back when finished. This takes very little effort.
I also have a portable thicknesser (Charnwood) and this lives on the floor of the workshop at the end of the bench. It slides out when I need it (it is heavy) and slides back when I am finished.
With this setup I can plane timber up to 150mm wide and thickness timber up to 300mm wide, easily and accurately. This set up works well for me.
I suggest you need to think about what planing (and possibly thicknessing) capacity you need and whether you have the space for floor standing kit. Given the choice I would go for floor standing with the biggest capacity I could afford, but I don't have the space so separate bench top machines work for me.

Hope this helps - Martin.

I owned the rexon benchtop jointer, I can't recommend it. It's incredibly noisy, heavy-ish and the table were short and difficult to use without a lot of snipe. Also, the fence was pretty pants in gettting square.

Hi Byron,
I have seen a lot of your posts on this forum and you know what you are talking about and make a lot of sense.
I disagree with you regards the Rexon planer but then it is the only one I have owned/used so have nothing to compare it with, perhaps if I had then I would understand your misgivings.
I am a simple hobbyist woodworker and the Rexon does what I need.
However that is only my opinion, always good to have another one.
Just to goes to show you can please all of the people some of the time etc.........

I've got the SIP, and my woodworking buddy has the Rexon.

Both do the job, both are excellent value for money. He had a bit of bother getting blades for his Rexon, but going direct to Rexon solved that.

I bought it to work reclaimed timber which I had passed through the bandsaw and then the thicknesser.

The fence on the SIP takes a bit of figuring out about how to use/set the stops for 90/45 degrees etc. but once set it has worked really well and does what I require.

As mentioned, it is quite noisy, but it incorporates a chipping blower which fills the cloth bag supplied. This blower will also blow the stuff up the dust extractor pipe if you use one. This feature has allowed me to position the planer a bit further from the extractor, extend the pipework and still achieve good extraction!

As to the weight; well, lets say that I attended the doctor this week with torn ligaments in my side!!!!!! Not all to do with lifting the planer onto the bench though ...........

HI Martin,

It all comes down to the invidual item with these cheaper machines I think. It's the same with Ferm - alot of people get some really good one's, whilest others get real donkey's. I thought my rexon was good to begin with, but just couldn't get past the problems mentioned as I used it more and more, it was probably just my machine that had the problems, could of been a friday afternoon job :)

If I can add my 2p worth...About a year ago, I bought the Charnwood bench top planer. Lovely square cuts, fence very easy to set. Recently, the brushes went, I'm still using the fist side of the original double sided blades. I phone Charnwood, only to find the model was discontinued and they did not do spares support-they no longer list spare blades! The staff were kind enough to have a look around, despite showing no stock held, and did find some brushes, cost me £10 including postage. I went to a local tool store, who are very good, but could not supply the brushes. The guy I spoke to said the lower end models seem good buys, but spares back up can be poor/non-existant. I then called in to see a friend who has a lawnmower repair business. He gave me a slack handful of brushes, free, telling me they cost pennies! Oh well, just need to find someone to supply new blades when needed. happy hunting. Rick.

Thanks for the replies
Corset and davy_Owen_88
I agree that a free standing model would be much better - unfortunately I just do not have the space therefore will have to settle for a benchtop model for now

keithhickson Thanks for the heads up on the reviews. Have found the mag. The Woodworker & The Woodturner Autumn special 2007.

Martin Like you I have limited space therefore my intention is to do what you do and bring each machine out as required

Byron Appreciate your comments. I hope I can avoid a Friday model :) - I would much prefer one like yours - I assume you are still pleased with "El Rusto" :)

Another Dave Your comments very encouraging I think on balance I am now being swayed towards the Rexon - issues of weight and portability!

So again thanks to all for your comments. I am now going to seek these machines out and have a good look before purchase.

Cheers :)
Tony

HI Tony - yes, i'm very happy with el-rusto, when I add an exactor to it it'll be even better, I use it a lot and gives me great results.

dibs":1de0qdvd said:
Oh well, just need to find someone to supply new blades when needed. happy hunting. Rick.

You may well find luck with Axminster. I'd imagine their Perform range is gonna be identical to your Charnwood and they still seem to stock blades for the CCNPT planer-thicknesser, even though it's been discontinued also.

Thanks Olly, I'll give Axminster a call, could save me hunting around for a company to make some up. Rick.

Back