Which Side Were You on in the Sharpening Wars Daddy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RossJarvis":37kmcyta said:
Probably best not to comment on him spending 25 minutes free-hand sharpening something which would have taken me 3 with a guide on stones. ?

To be fair to the Paul Sellers man, he is preparing the Aldi chisel for first use and flattening the back - something that only needs doing once. I have to say that my Aldi chisels have sharpened up like nothing I've ever known before. And I have the cuts to prove it!

There, that was my first post. I feel better now. :D

Quite. It does take longer to get a chisel into usable shape for the first time, and extra time to explain it all.

I don't take long to tie my shoes but if I was making a video to teach someone else how to, it would take much longer.

RossJarvis":1359ak91 said:
Philosophically speaking I'm interested in conflict, its resolution and why certain subjects cause the most aggro, particularly in the "virtual world". Would there be less trouble if these conversations happened face to face?

Ross, back in the summer, Dodge organised and Chrispy generously hosted a get-together to demonstrate and discuss the different methods of sharpening. Gathered together with cups of tea, the conversation was polite and non-confrontational.

Full details and photos here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ukw-sharpening-bonanza-get-together-t67911.html

I don't expect many of us changed the way we sharpen, but we did produce plenty of sharp edges, none of which were used to cut flesh.

Of course, no date and location can be as accessible as the virtual space of this forum, so some of the most valued and frequent posters were unable to be there.

Sadly the rounded bevel guru didn't turn up - I was looking forward to seeing them being produced?

Rod

Is there a side that doesn't give a fudge, but finds all the arguments really funny? (and sometimes interesting/useful) If so, that's my side.

Honestly, I reckon if you lot were all down the pub nattering about this it'd all be cushty, but as it's the interwebs and most folk don't get subtext or sarcasm in text, then folk sometimes seem to get more upset about it than they should.

FWIW, I'm a complete beginner and I've not yet had any issues with freehand sharpening. I'm also tight, so no jig.

takes a hell of a lot longer to sharpen an old blade than a new one
especially if it is not square

It's good to hear some sensible talk around this subject. Apologies for my comment on the time it took Wotsisname to sharpen the Aldi chisel, I was failing in ironic humour there and didn't mean to be critical. The video is an inspiration for me to retry hand sharpening. When I've done it in the past, my results were not too hot and I've now thought more a about it being a useful hand skill that requires more effort.

My original post was some idle thinking about the causes of discord on the inter-web and why certain topics seem to attract a lot of flak, sharpening just being the catalyst on this site. I was wondering why certain subjects bring out both the best and worst in people. It seems there are just some annoying k***s who only want to argue or poke fun, but otherwise sane and rational or nice people seem to get drawn into certain arguments and lose it with sharpening, or politics or religion or footie.

Maybe the Queen, who seems to be very rational and nice, gets into furious arguments on the internet about how to hone a racing bridal or something.

I'm going to be the first to say that I gave in to having training wheels in past years. Never was satisfied with making sharpening my hobby. I experimented with different jigs, different types of stones and "scary sharp". I finally got the "Frazier dvd" from Tools for Working Wood, using oilstones.

My sharpening is now simple, quick and works perfectly for me: sometimes a touch to my bench grinder. Next free hand on my vintage washita. Next final honing on a vintage black arkansas. Every once in a while, if I want to loaf another 30 seconds, I'll take a dozen or so licks on a leather strop. In the half dozen years I've only used this method, I've found I have no issue with any width of chisel or plane blade, and pretty much have got my spokeshave blades down pat, though I'm not a frequent user of shaves.

A decent set of chisels is a good starting point.
There are many branded makes out there, all a personal choice, but I think most would agree that cheap is best avoided. my personal choice is, in the absence of good old sheffield steel, Swedish steel, chisels and saws.
I don't sharpen my saws now, files are too expensive and I can be doing other things! so i save my discarded saw steel for cabinet scrapes etc.
I don't even know where my saw horse is. As an aside, are there any apprentice saw doctors out there today today?
My dad, also time served, kept his India and Arkansas combi stones in a tin half filled with parafin and a squirt of oil, with a couple of "Slip stones".
I think they always "cut" so well because they were not full of the crud that can build up in the grain of the stone.
works well for me,
although I do the use wet and dry method,which can be easier on site, and sometimes resort to the belt sander!.
The answer is Technique and practice! Technique and practice builds confidence. regards Rodders

Can I just ask, What did Paul Sellers do to offend so many?

I've seen a couple of his you tube videos and they seem ok to my novice eye, certainly nothing to indicate why he seems to be an object of ridicule in several threads.

mark w":breepbjr said:
3 pages and no Jacob, I hope he's ok. :D
Fine - thanks for asking.
Sharpening wars have been over for some time, just a few stragglers and the odd little skirmish breaking out - easily dealt with!

Water-Mark":3qxgx9cv said:
Can I just ask, What did Paul Sellers do to offend so many?....
In the woodwork media there's been almost a cartel of self proclaimed experts telling everybody how difficult things are and they they need to follow precisely detailed procedures with all the right (expensive) kit. They've had a large following of docile fans who like to cling on to what they think they know and get very uppity if contradicted.
Paul Sellers tells a different story and for many people his views are a liberating breath of fresh air

In the woodwork media there's been almost a cartel of self proclaimed experts telling everybody how difficult things are and they they need to follow precisely detailed procedures with all the right (expensive) kit. They've had a large following of docile fans who like to cling on to what they think they know and get very uppity if contradicted.
Paul Sellers tells a different story and for many people his views are a liberating breath of fresh air

And Jacob is a docile fan of Mr Sellers, who is a new self proclaimed savior of woodworking who has numerous DVDs and books and all the other stuff Jacob despises in the others.

An alternative way of looking at it is this:

If a teacher of woodwork recommends a particular manufacturer's tools, it can be because the expert is being paid to promote that brand. If a teacher shows that you can do good work with cheap secondhand tools, there is no such commercial distortion.

All teachers will want to make a living so will have to promote themselves (including classes, DVDs etc) just like any other small businessman.

I don't put myself in the category of being a 'docile fan' of anyone and would be surprised if Jacob does.

Reading the many and varied opinions expressed on here will help us all form better judgements than that.

Water-Mark I must have missed the post where Mr Sellers was ridiculed. Mr Sellers seems very similar to every other professional woodworker who makes his living with courses, DVD's and books. Some people take to him some don't, we are lucky to have a variety of tutors with varying approaches that suit various people. I have seen other professional tutors get a harder time than Mr Sellers.
I think he also like his Lee Valley products and demonstrates the merits of them, I think perhaps he even said helped develop some of the stuff or am I dreaming on that one, memory is a bit hazy there.

mark w":27aavwc4 said:
And Jacob is a docile fan of Mr Sellers,....
Not me squire! I can take him or leave him. His designs are pretty boring, which is a big weakness IMHO. Bench is good though. He seems to infected with the flattening virus to some extent, which is also a pity. But overall his common sense approach is good I think, and encouraging for beginners.

Back