which jointer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlawrence":1ys25z8y said:
Jim, have you a link to the Veritas standard jointer - I can't find one anywhere even on the LV website.

I did consider a standard LN No7 but that's a considerable price above the LA 7 1/2.

I like the look of the Veritas jointer - it's just that bit different. I'm not overly bothered about a No 7 for shooting. Got my eyes on something a bit special for shooting with :)

Sorry about that, there isn't one! I was thinking of the No6 which I have been impressed by. I don't have experience of the LA Veritas, but people seem to like them and the tear-out performance may not be that different bearing in mind that the bed angle at 12 deg. equates to 42deg with a 30 deg sharpening bevel, which is not far off the 45deg angle of a standard jointer.

What do you have in mind for shooting? I use a jointer for long edge joints but I have the LN mitre plane for smaller stuff and end grain and it is a really fab piece of kit.

Jim

yetloh":1txi8z1w said:
I don't have experience of the LA Veritas, but people seem to like them and the tear-out performance may not be that different bearing in mind that the bed angle at 12 deg. equates to 42deg with a 30 deg sharpening bevel, which is not far off the 45deg angle of a standard jointer.

Or a bed angle of 12, and a 50 degree sharpening bevel, giving pitch of 62, which will avoid tear out in most woods.

It just depends how much of a concern tear out is. if you're jointing prior to glue up, the surfaces won't show anyway!

BugBear

Good point about blade angle. Nothing to stop you having two blades sharpened at different angles.

Jim

I am very pleased with my Veritas BUJ - I have a Clifton 5 1/2 which is the first plane I reach for as a rule, but the BUJ is a comfortable tool to use, and came up trumps with some tearout problems recently when I fitted a steeper angled blade.

A personal thing here, but I reckon the Veritas BU jack is just about the most versatile plane out there at the moment. The only down side (and it's a slight one) is the style of the tote. Comparing the LN low angle jack and the Veritas equivalent at Rycotewood the other week, the LN was more comfortable to grip. That aside, it's always the first plane I go for when theres a bit of material to remove - Rob

Lots of good advice above. I think the concensus is that the LN BU Jack with two blades is a must have. I don't think I'd go to those lengths on the jointer where a standard configuration is fine.

This was written when the BUJ was released, and I must have been in an Alan Peters mood as I used the jointer as the only plane in building a sofa table.
It was Loughborough College who promoted the use of No7 for almost everything (My Dad was also there and shares this view) and AP was of course trained there himself.

Going to extremes I would have my high angle blades in A2 and others in A1 or O1 for the best of both worlds. After all these are things you only generally buy once!

Modernist":3a2lremu said:
AP was of course trained there himself.
:-k Not sure on that one, I'll have to check the AP manual tonight. He was trained at the Barnsley 'shop near Petersfield as a yoof and then spent some time at Shoreditch College at Egham (same as me...might have used the same bench!) but I'm not 100% convinced he spent time at Loughborough.
Will check later - Rob

Sorry, I'm not quite right there. The course at Loughborough was run by Barnsley in the 1940's, hence the No 7 preference.

Back