which jointer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a No7 (or equivalent).
Got a couple of quid spare so though I'd treat myself.
Options:
Clifton No 7, LN 7 1/2 LA jointer, LV LA jointer.
All seem to be around the same price - give or take.

Has anyone any views on the difference between them.

Well i've tried them all :D

In order of preference

Clifton
LN
LV

Having said that, I haven't kept any of them - I just use my Philly jointer. So you should put that as No1, IMHO :p

Cheers

Karl

You are not really comparing like with like here because the Clifton is a bevel down Bedrock type plane whereas the others are simpler bevel up planes with a somewhat lower effective cutting angle. The Veritas and LN equivalents are quite a bit more expensive.

If I was going to have only one jointer, I would go with the Bedrock type because it is more versatile. Its slightly higher angle should make it lees prone to tear-out you will be able to use it on its side with a shooting board which would be impossible with the Veritas and less than ideal with the LN.

If you can run to the Veritas standard jointer I would go for that because it has refinements the others don't have but I no that other posters will disagree!

Jim

After some debate on these pages I recently bought a Clifton no.7, the first job for which was flattening and jointing some sawn oak boards.

After doing my best impression of a scarey sharp procedure to the blade I used the plane for the finishing stage on the board's faces and edges. Wonderful! Felt just right in the hand and the end product was boards that stick to each other when stacked flat.

Mustn't say that it looks beautiful too because that sounds like avarice but I do have its picture as the background on this computer's desktop.

Sorry but I have haven't used any of the others on your list of possibles.

Simon

Jim, have you a link to the Veritas standard jointer - I can't find one anywhere even on the LV website.

I did consider a standard LN No7 but that's a considerable price above the LA 7 1/2.

I like the look of the Veritas jointer - it's just that bit different. I'm not overly bothered about a No 7 for shooting. Got my eyes on something a bit special for shooting with :)

I am worrying whether I'll find too much tear out using an LA plane - but reading the various reviews others don't seem to have that problem.

Karl - philly doesn't list a jointer on his site so I assumed he didn't do one.

Clifton #7 every time.

jlawrence":3w57rou0 said:
I'm not overly bothered about a No 7 for shooting. Got my eyes on something a bit special for shooting with :)

For shooting, the LN #9 is a real cracker.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

LV Jointer and a LN 9 for shooting.

Just glad I bought my stuff a few years ago! :shock:

Rod :)

Go for the Clifton.

And while not wanting to bring up the O1 vrs A2 debate here (unlike Aled), Clifton forged O1 irons are superior to other O1 irons IMHO.

Cheers, Vann.

yetloh":c3pgadmw said:
You are not really comparing like with like here because the Clifton is a bevel down Bedrock type plane whereas the others are simpler bevel up planes with a somewhat lower effective cutting angle. The Veritas and LN equivalents are quite a bit more expensive.

If I was going to have only one jointer, I would go with the Bedrock type because it is more versatile. Its slightly higher angle should make it lees prone to tear-out you will be able to use it on its side with a shooting board which would be impossible with the Veritas and less than ideal with the LN.

I don't understand.

One of the major merits of the bevel up design is the ease of changing the effective pitch (what you've called "cutting angle").

As such, choosing a bevel down design on the basis of its EP seems a little odd.

BugBear

jlawrence":2pfb0b0h said:
Has anyone any views on the difference between them.
Height. Don't laugh - I find the low profile of the BU jointers counterproductive for judging plumb when I'm jointing edges. It may just be me, but certainly if you can have a try between the two types then do so.

Back