Which Chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
As my projects and ambition improves I am getting a hankering for a decent set of bevel edged bench chisels.
I as yet have avoided the temptation of any LN products however I am wondering if this maybe the route I should take, I only want to purchase once and not fall into the cheap trap.
I did read a very good review of the Ashley Isles in a Pratical Woodworking supplement today which has caused me to think again.
Also I have it in my mind that Veritas were launching their new socket chisels in the first half of this year (not sure I may have read it somewhere, or possibly dreamt it???)

So my question is LN or AI, which do you guys prefer?
I know this is probably a bit of a subjective question but I feel I should at least get some feedback from a reliable source before I make the sizeable investment.

Type of work is furniture making with hardwoods, jointing normally done by hand in the traditional manor.
All comments gratefully received.

Rob

I have a set of LN's, some AI Butt Chisels (older type) and various Japanese ones.

I like them all but tend towards the Japanese most times?

The AI's are British, good value and easy to sharpen - if you are anywhere near Yandles on the 8/9 April you should be able to inspect both types?

+1 for the AI chisels, take an exceptional edge, fine bevel for fidly bits and nicely balanced, couldnt ask any more from a chisel!

Edd.

+1 for L/N. I also intended to only buy once and I've had no issues. They are expensive, but worth the money in my view.

I've not tried AI, but then again I've not needed to.

If price is not the problem - and I assume from your options it isn't - then how they feel in your hand is everything. In terms of quality of steel, there's nothing in it that's going to actually matter. Time for a quick trip to either Yandles or the Talking Tools do* at Axminster this weekend and try how they feel, methinks.

*I assume with Classic Handtools there, that they will have the AIs with them, but might be worth giving them a bell and making sure.

Hi,

How about old cast steel chisels from car-boots or Ebay, I have loads and they are really nice, go for the carver pattern boxwood handles usually a sign of quality.
Most from the car-boots cost £1 so it’s a cheap way to pick up a set if you have the patience.

Pete

I've had the AI dovetail chisels, which are good but I didn't get on with them and the original A2 LN chisels, which again are good. I now exclusively use Japanese chisels which for me are the best of the lot as they take and hold an edge which is better than I could achieve with the AI's or the LN's. As the LN's had to have an effective pitch of 33deg+ in order to prevent edge crumble and as they were A2 they didn't take a really sharp edge - Rob

I do not think CHT stock AI's but they sell LN's and the "Tool Drooly" BS's?
AI usually have a stall at Yandles but it's mainly full of Spinney Tools. You could give them a ring to take some along?
Workshop Heaven sell them as well.

Rod

The other alternatives which are rather tasty are the 01 boxwood handled bevel edgers from Ray Isles. I had a quick look at some a couple of years ago and thought they were very good, certainly worth considering if the AI's don't suite - Rob

Dammit, you're right, Rod, CHT don't stock AI anymore. Tarnation.

Another option is an excuse for a Mini Bash; enough members in the area who can, between them, assemble a range?

As Alf says, your best bet is to try the different makes under consideration and see which feele better in your hand.

With regard to A2 steel, I've never had a problem with sharpenning, but 10 minutes in the morning with the tools I am going to be using that day on an 8000 grit stone keeps everything in order; let them go blunt and your work load will increase.

L/N offer their chisels in both A2 and O1, so if you can try before you buy, all the better. Is it all hype to sell more chisels? Possibly, but then again why not? I have tried O1 against A2 and found I could see little advantage to the 'keener edge', but you could bear in mind that O1 will take a lower angle, if you need that; I never have. Get what feels right and makes you happy. Don't over-complicate it; it's chopping up bits of a tree, not performing open heart surgery. :wink:

Scouse":3fi5k3tl said:
As Alf says, your best bet is to try the different makes under consideration and see which feele better in your hand.

L/N offer their chisels in both A2 and O1, so if you can try before you buy, all the better. Is it all hype to sell more chisels? Possibly, but then again why not? I have tried O1 against A2 and found I could see little advantage to the 'keener edge', but you could bear in mind that O1 will take a lower angle, if you need that; I never have. Get what feels right and makes you happy. Don't over-complicate it; it's chopping up bits of a tree, not performing open heart surgery. :wink:
Agreed, but when you get hold of A2 for the first time and hone an edge at 30deg, only to find it crumbling within a few seconds of use, it can be a triffle disconcerting...so you then need to hone it at something much steeper (and 33deg is about the minimum you can get away with...David C uses 35deg) The edge is still sharp and will do the business, but it's nowhere near as sharp as a good quality 01 blade honed at the traditional 30deg.
At the end of the jour though, as has been said many times, the user needs to find something that works for them and there's no question for me that a practical 'try out' with a few different makes is the way forward...and Bash's are one excellent vehicle for that particular excercise - Rob

Rob, if you have the chance, buy one from a good brand and try it out. If you like it, buy more. If you don't, buy something else. It's really the only way to see how you like the handles and whether the sharpening is a chore. Maybe I'm just not as finicky about chisels as others, though, since most of my bench chisels are $5 plastic handled jobs. Do they hold an edge? Yes, good enough for me anyway. Do I stick my foot in the way if one rolls off the bench? H*ll no.

Kirk

Rob,

For A2 I use 32 degrees for paring and 35 degrees for chopping.

Oddly the same angles as for my Japanese chisels.

David

LN chisels hardly get mentioned nowadays without reference to crumbly edges, funny honing angles, finish not as good as it used to be, etc.
Why bother?
Ashley Iles, Robert Sorby, Henry Taylor all look pretty good and all are cheaper than LN.

David C":2yrvv3n8 said:
Rob,

For A2 I use 32 degrees for paring and 35 degrees for chopping.

Oddly the same angles as for my Japanese chisels.

David
That surprises me David. I reckon you could get away with much lower angles on Japanese chisels for paring and chopping (25 and 30deg respectively) - Rob

Racers":1kwjrags said:
Hi,

How about old cast steel chisels from car-boots or Ebay, I have loads and they are really nice, go for the carver pattern boxwood handles usually a sign of quality.
Most from the car-boots cost £1 so it’s a cheap way to pick up a set if you have the patience.

Pete

Even at online dealer prices, they're far cheaper than (good) new ones. If you're a believer in the "good old days" theory, look for octagonal bolsters (not round).

(quick check shows a partial problem - vintage chisels are so cheap many dealer don't bother listing them online :-( )

If you have a lathe (even a drill in an adapter), don't worry about wrecked handles - just make your own.

(Pete - if "most" chisels round your way are a quid, you're in a cheap area. "obviously" good chisels, i.e. non mushroomed handle, bevel edges, decent length blade, not too rusty are 3-4 round here)

Oh - since someone is bound to ask - I would recommend these brands, given a choice:

I Sorby
I&H Sorby
R Sorby
Ward & Payne
Howarth
Ibbotson
Marples
Mahwood (sp?)
Tyzack
Zyto
Toga

BugBear