Which Chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, BB

Yep I have found some crackers.

I can also add to your list Woodcock.

I have a 1" paring chisel and a very nice 1/4 inch bevel edge that is so thin I think it might have been a parer, they both have very nice steel.

Pete

Hi, Chaps

We should have a sticky for old chisels/planes makers to look out for at the top, and a avoid list too.

Pete

Racers":1rgflu6v said:
Hi, Chaps

We should have a sticky for old chisels/planes makers to look out for at the top, and a avoid list too.

Pete
Sounds like mainly avoid LN and Japanese, judging by a lot of posts!
Stanley 5001s are good.

Yes and there are some real shockers - my 5001's and 5002's are absolutely next to useless - maybe good for opening paint tins?

Here's a few others I have:
Stevenson Mawhood & Co.
A Hildick
Sugden? Brothers (Greyhound logo?)
Mossley & Son
Footprint (old ones)
J Addis

I also have lots of others that I inherited where the names are too far gone to be discernible?

Rod

Harbo":1pfzxva9 said:
Sugden? Brothers (Greyhound logo?)
Hazarding a reasonably wild guess:
marsden.jpg

P.S. Ignore the knives bit - it's the tableware trademarks again, and they shun mentioning things like chisels. No accounting for tastes... :wink:

Attachments

• marsden.jpg
    marsden.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,014
I have some 5001 chisels.

They were my first set. I remember all too vividly how the edges used to curl up half way through a cut in harder timbers.

That's why the Japanese chisels were such a revelation, infinitely superior......

David Charlesworth

Are people really seriously suggesting that the Ln chisels are no good? This seems to be a very interesting subject, as for everyone who says that the more expensive ( LN, japanese) stuff is great, plenty of others with ( from what i can gather) lots of experience and knowledge say they dont like them...very confusing. I just got some japanese chisels from Rutlands and had to send them back after the blade chipped the first time I used them. They said there was a fault after they had examined them. Meantime I got a set of the Lie Nielsen socket bevel type and although only used them a few times, they seem very nice. Although I have been a carpenter for 30 years, most of work up until now has been site based and I never previously had any chisels better than a set of marples yellow and red plastic handles ones, for chopping in hinges and general stuff like that. I have recently started to learn joinery and furniture making as a hobby, as I never get to use my tools much at work now ( my business now employs 20 people and I drive a desk all day... :( ) so, have upgraded lots of my hand tools and, Not to be put off, I have also ordered 3 japanese chisels of the brand recommended by David Charlesworth, from Classic hand tools. I am just hoping I have made the right investment!!!

Cheers, Mark

Mark

I sold my LN chisels way back in 2008 due to the difficulty in getting the A2 steel to as sharp an edge as I'd like, much to the disbelief of some forum members (Cough Rob Cough). By now quite a few have seen the light and given up on them also (Cough Rob Cough) :wink: :wink:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post309652.html
The newer O1 LN chisels are sure to be excellent chisels as their ergonomics are very good.

IMHO high carbon steel is pretty much unbeatable, either in it's Western or Eastern guises. I have both the Jap chisels from Workshopheaven which are excellent, but also have quite a few older Marples chisels (with a couple of AI Mk11's to fill the gaps) that perform very very well!

Cheers
Aled

Aled Dafis":2b6lkc6p said:
Mark

I sold my LN chisels way back in 2008 due to the difficulty in getting the A2 steel to as sharp an edge as I'd like, much to the disbelief of some forum members (Cough Rob Cough). By now quite a few have seen the light and given up on them also (Cough Rob Cough) :wink: :wink:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post309652.html
The newer O1 LN chisels are sure to be excellent chisels as their ergonomics are very good.

IMHO high carbon steel is pretty much unbeatable, either in it's Western or Eastern guises. I have both the Jap chisels from Workshopheaven which are excellent, but also have quite a few older Marples chisels (with a couple of AI Mk11's to fill the gaps) that perform very very well!

Cheers
Aled
Aled, your point is noted :lol: :lol: I agree entirely with your summation though I can't vouch for the Jap chisels from CHT, having never seen or used them. However, if our very own MrC recommends them, then that's got to be good enough...be prepared though, for some work to flatten the backs, especially if they've got a little 'bump' behind the edge. I've just finished preparing the last of my Jap chisels (see the latest Blog entries) from Workshop Heaven which I can thoroughly recommend. The O1 steel chisels will take and hold a better edge IMO than the A2 variants (I'm thinking here of the LN chisels in particular) and in my experience, the Japanese chisels seem to take the best edge of all...better even than an 01 Western style AI chisel (and I recently sold the AI dovetail chisels) though of course, it's very difficult to quantify - Rob

woodbloke":gya44jw3 said:
Aled, your point is noted :lol: :lol: I agree entirely with your summation though I can't vouch for the Jap chisels from CHT, having never seen or used them. However, if our very own MrC recommends them, then that's got to be good enough...be prepared though, for some work to flatten the backs, especially if they've got a little 'bump' behind the edge. I've just finished preparing the last of my Jap chisels (see the latest Blog entries) from Workshop Heaven which I can thoroughly recommend. The O1 steel chisels will take and hold a better edge IMO than the A2 variants (I'm thinking here of the LN chisels in particular) and in my experience, the Japanese chisels seem to take the best edge of all...better even than an 01 Western style AI chisel (and I recently sold the AI dovetail chisels) though of course, it's very difficult to quantify - Rob

Rob, I ate lunch with the fellow who most likely made your chisels on Thursday. Just in case you were interested.

Was expecting lunch, was not expecting the extra company in the form of a chisel making type... :D

(On other matters, it is nice getting stuff from folks who's name is on the stuff they're giving you. Matters not what the name is or where they are, being handed the products of their efforts is always nice.)

Back