Which air compressor and nailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new toys arrived this morning! After about 5 minutes of setting up I was firing nails into any piece of scrap I could find. The compressor is fantastic - really compact and fills very quickly (maybe 20 seconds?) and a full tank last a surprisingly long time. It's the best 50 quid I think I've ever spent :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Mark

That's kind of the payoff it does run often but not for very long. I'm glad you're pleased and for £50 it's great value

Hi Mark
I have been following this thread with great interest as I have had enough of my Tacwiser electric bradder.
Before this thread started I was fairly sure I was going to get the Bostitch 6l compressor and brad nailer combo pack, however I am having second thoughts now.
My questions for you and any other knowledgeable members out there are:
1/ how noisy is the little Axi compressor? I know it quotes 70db on the Axi website, but question if this is the true noise level as on the Bostitch site the little MRC6u quotes compressor noise at 74db and also noise at 96db?
2/ From my research it would appear that oiled compressors (the little Axi) are quieter than the oilless compressors (Bostitch). I also know the belt drive ones are even quieter but can't justify the cost or space needed in my little workshop. Bambi silent would be nice, but can't justify the cost.
I am aware that few of you will have noise level equipment so would simply value your own opinions regarding the noise these generate.
regards
Howie

Hi Howie

I've just measured the noise level of the compressor with my phone (free app) and it says it is 69dB which corresponds with the figure given by Axminster, though in reality it is probably closer to the 96 dB you found.

While I was at it I timed how long it takes to refill the tank during normal use - 17.3 seconds! It also managed to fire around 34 brads (35mm) on average per refill.

Unfortunately I can't find the compressor on the Axminster website so I think they all might have sold. Sorry :oops:

Mark

Hi Mark
Thanks very much for the detailed response, it is very helpful.
Yeah, I see that the little compressor is no longer on the Axi website. Looks like the new 6litre model they are flogging is very similar in spec except it's £80 & not in stock which is a bummer but won't break the bank.
If I find the compressor is a bit too noisy for myself and my neighbours I will probably put it into a ventilated enclosure under my bench. I have done the same with my record DX4000 and it cut the noise down considerably.
Thanks again
Howie

No problem! It was interesting to find out anyway. I'll be building a ventilated enclosure for mine sometime in the future which will reduce the noise quite drastically I think.

Mark

If it is just for DIY nailing then the cheap machines
will work just fine. The down side is,they are all noisy.
Why not get a larger machine that you may find useful
at a future date for other air tools. Mount it on a trolly
and you can move it out of your way as needed.
Willy.

Hi Willy
The only tasks for the compressor will be nailing & a bit of dust blowing in my workshop. I have a HVLP spray system so the little 6 litre will be perfect for my workshop.
My workshop is a single garage which has been rearranged several times to get the best use of space. Mostly I am using sheet materials so keeping the limited space a open as possible is essential. The little compressor will fit perfectly in a space I have under my bench.
My workshop is a constant exercise in ergonomics and I almost have it right................until I buy the next piece of machinery. :)
Regards
Howie

Back