compressor couplings question

Help Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex Barn Workshop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
11 Jul 2020
Reaction score
Loughton, Essex
I am new to air compressors, and about to buy the 24L silent hyundai. Maybe not from this store, but these are the specs if you are not familiar with it:
and I want an air blower and nail gun, and have decided on this air gun:
again, maybe not from amazon but that is the specs.
with a blower like this one
My confusion is around what else i need! What couplers should I also buy at the same time to be sure that on day one I can set up and use them all?
To be clear, I'm happy with the tool choice now, so thank you but don't want other tool recommendations just clarity on the couplings I may also need to ensure it all works together.
Many thanks.
I like the PCL XF couplers. They are well made and work with the euro-style fittings which come on most tools (although you can fit the PCL fittings if not). They are relatively cheap and available from screwfix which is helpful.

The Hyundai compressor you have linked to has a euro fitting on so these will plug straight in to that (so you wouldn't have to change that one)

Male Socket
Female Socket
Male Plug
Female Plug

I have an axminster 24g headless pinner which I love and is nicely built, if I had the money I would buy the axi stapler and brad nailer too but they are just too expensive for me as I will only use occasionally. I bought the SGS combination 18g brad nail/staple gun for £23 and it is perfectly fine.

I have the sealey blower and it is fine, and the sealey inflator as invariably I end up topping up the car etc with it. Both are good and would buy again.
Air compressor fittings are a nightmare, there are loads of different types.

generally though, they mostly come down to PCL or Euro (also known as type 25)

the Euro ones are a bit more compact and I think have a larger bore (could be wrong).

also bear in mind the BSP thread sizes, tools / air connections mostly have 1/4” BSP, but can be 1/8” and 3/8” even 1/2”

Personally I'd just buy a ready made line, loads to chose from many different lengths. I was using the same compressor last week, a very nice machine and very quiet
Well it depends - what hose are you getting?

If the hose has euro fittings on already (like this coiled one or this straight one) then you wouldn't need to change them, if not then you would need separate fittings for your hose (not the ones in your link, you need the hose tailpieces).

For the tools you are looking at:

- Two of these (male plugs). One for the inflator and blower to replace the non-euro fittings on them (don't overtighten when you do that).
- That SGS nail gun comes with a euro fitting so wouldn't need changing. If you went for the Silverline nail gun you linked to originally that would need another one of the male plugs.

So total 3 male plug fittings. What you have linked to has 4 male plug fittings which would be fine. You could just get one of these twin packs for £2.70 if you didn't want to have a load of extra fittings you don't use.
I would not concern yourself too much with being able to be up-and-running from day one. Even having a range of surplus fittings - I have never yet managed this. :giggle:

I'm surely opening up a can of worms here, if I say that you can put the female side of the coupling on the appliance rather than the male one as is usual. I had this arrangement for quite a few years as I found it much more convenient when I was mainly operating spray -guns. Though I have recently embraced conventional wisdom, in these matters.:unsure:
The females are often self sealing unlike the males so when you disconnect the male fitting you don't dump the compressor tank to atmosphere !

I see your point, if there is no valve to switch off on the compressor, or line, but I found it an easier system to operate when swapping spray guns, to refill or unblock.

I changed things back, only when I stopped regularly using a spray gun, and got other tools, that were a little more unwieldy to use with the larger female fitting attached.
Really grateful Sams93.
I will go with your suggestion for inflator and blower certainly, and I'll look at the 18G nail gun as well.
So out of the box, which of those couplings and how many of each would I need please?
Would this set be enough?
If using air powered tools don't forget your oil! and use it regularly or implements soon become toast.
Stick with plain hose those coiled type are a real ball ache and often wear/fracture as catch on so many things.
Don't forget to drain tank often.
Hi ya, I got the Hyundai 9ltr silent compressor a couple of months ago (I'm governed by room and price), and I paired it with this same price as the one you posted but does both brads and staples, you will need to swap the coupling on the gun though and Silverline do those as well as they are both from Amazon easy to order, I'm only a hobbyist but the gun and compressor are spot on for me, very quite compressor, don't forget thread tape when fitting the coupling (y):)
I've just replaced my compressor (having let the previous one go dry and seize - numpty!) - so yes, compressor oil is a must!

Make sure you place it where you can see the oil level easily. They can be quite difficult to see.

I've had both rubber and coil extension hoses and would never go with a coiled one again. They never go where you want and many have a habit of kinking. It's worth getting a decent sized bore because the bore of the pipe will affect the amount of air that can get to the tools that you plan to use. Something like this would probably suffice SGS 8mm Rubber Air Compressor Hose With Quick Couplers - 10m

Also, and this is probably obvious, get a hose which is long enough to extend to the furthest extremities of where you are working. It's much easier to move the hose around than the compressor.
Better still if you have a large workshop is to run a pipe from the compressor round the wall, with fittings in suitable places so you can plug into it. That way you never need to use a really long hose and you keep the pressure up. You can also install suitable stuff on the outlets, so oilers on those to be used for tools, and dryer on one for a spray gun for example. And I wouldn't buy one of the coiled hoses, they are a PITA. PCL fittings for me, they seem to last and remain airtight for longer.
Better still if you have a large workshop is to run a pipe from the compressor round the wall, with fittings in suitable places so you can plug into it. That way you never need to use a really long hose and you keep the pressure up. You can also install suitable stuff on the outlets, so oilers on those to be used for tools, and dryer on one for a spray gun for example. And I wouldn't buy one of the coiled hoses, they are a PITA. PCL fittings for me, they seem to last and remain airtight for longer.

After getting tired of moving my compressor around and running a 10-meter hose around the shop areas, I installed a compressed air distribution system that supports both sides of my shop. My system uses 18mm Schneider Airsystem components because the price was great (free) and there weren't enough 20mm or 22mm components left to complete my distribution system. I intentionally didn't use oilers because I oil my air tools before using them. However, if I change my mind later, I left enough space to add an oiler to the regulator.

The 100L compressor now remains in my dust collection closet. I added a quick-disconnect fitting and valve to one of the two pressure cylinder ports.


The hose from the compressor goes to a quick disconnect T-fitting in the closet that branches off to each of the two shop areas through the walls.


This is a single coupling and regulator in the heavy machine section of my shop. This area is small enough that a single coupling is all I need to reach anywhere in the shop.


The other shop area has an identical regulator and valve, plus one port on the wall and two on the ceiling. I had to use small blocks made from 18mm plywood to bump out the pipe brackets and coupling because the bracket for the regulator extended the air ports farther away from the wall.


A bit of overkill on the pipe clamps, but the flexible air line was part of a 25-meter coil and it tended to retain the coil as I was installing it.


The air line extends along the concrete ceiling to the ground level window at the other end of my shop. Rather than drill more holes in the ceiling, I used construction adhesive to attach more of the 18mm blocks to the concrete. I used an angle grinder with a flap wheel to remove the paint from the area and expose bare concrete. Afterwords, I painted the block and exposed concrete to blend in with the rest of the ceiling. There is one coupling in the middle above my mobile workbench, and a coupling at the window. I use the last coupling to run an air hose out the window to my garden irrigation system manifold so I can purge the water in preparation for the winter.

Returning to the subject of oil as mentioned above..some compressors use an oil lubricated system for the actual compressor itself. As far as I’m aware the Hyundai doesn’t but you still need to be aware that’s totally separate from having a lubricated air supply provided by your compressor , that some tools will need , to avoid becoming damaged. At a push you can apply a drop or two of oil directly into the tools fitting before connecting it to the airline but ideally you would have an airline dedicated for having oil within it that is connected to an in-line oiler or oiler/regulator thus ensuring a constant flow of air with the required amount of lubricant although you will need to remember never to use that airline again for spraying anything that would be contaminated with oil in it…eg paint.