Compressor question - connectors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex Barn Workshop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I know little about compressors, and only really want one for a brad nail gun (18g), and air duster and I suppose occasional tyre inflation. I don not anticipate spray painting, and it will be my xmas present from family so I have a limited budget, which I'm fine with given it's little use.
This is not so much a what should I buy request, as I think I'm probably ok with this Titan:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tt...sor-with-5-piece-accessory-kit-220-240v/976kvUnless there is something better at around the same £100-£140 mark?
I want to use this brad gun (Peter Millard uses it, so it's good enough for me!!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-868544-Air-Brad-Nailer/dp/B000LFWAWK?th=1But have no idea if it has the same connections. Can anyone help me please, will it fit etc.
Many thanks.

The SGS 2.5hp, either 24 or 50 litre tanks, is a better buy for the money in that more pump hp makes more air available / pumps up faster. The 24L version is the same thing Aldi sell sometimes (or used to). My other half uses one of those for air staplers for her business, had it something like 8-10 years and no problems with it.

There's at least two common standards of connectors I think, PCL & Euro, comps & tools will arrive with one or the other. They don't interchange/fit eath other. The Aldi comp came with Euro connectors, though no idea what the SGS would have now. Euro fittings may also be called PCL-XF, I think..
Personally I use standard PCL ones everywhere because there's a wider range of sizes & types and they're cheaper. They also flow more air than any normal comp is able to deliver so no loss there.

Threaded inlets/ports will usually be BSP, like a port on a comp's tank or an air pressure regulator etc. Both types of air fittings will run into/onto those.

I have a little 8-litre Hyundai - perfectly adequate for occasional nailing and dust-moving, and a fair bit smaller than a 24l. The compressors linked to above all state ~97dB in the specs; that’s enough to make me want to grab a hammer. The Hyundai is 60dB, but unfortunately now costs a bit more than when I bought mine, just over your budget at ~£150. Have a hunt around, you might find a better price.

Re connectors, all I know is that you’ll always have the wrong one! I switched everything over to euro connectors, no issues since. 👍

Threaded inlets/ports will usually be BSP, like a port on a comp's tank or an air pressure regulator etc. Both types of air fittings will run into/onto those.

The point above is the one to take home with you. Whatever fittings come on the compressor or the nailgun, they will unscrew from the body of the machine leaving a female BSP thread* into which you can then add fittings of your choice.

The Screwfix picture is both a bit small and very confusing/misleading. If you look at the orange curly hose, the two ends look the same (compare and contrast with the curly hose shown with the JCB compressor they also sell). For it to work with the socket shown on the compressor, one end should be male and the other end female, so at the least there is some artistic license involved.

Long and short is you will not know until you have the two items in the same room together at the same time and actually try to mate them. If the stars are particularly misaligned for you, it might be necessary to buy another flexy hose as well as the correct male/female connectors.

* this is true for tools sold for the UK market. If you buy Chinese tools from eBay or Amazon, they will sometimes come with an NPT thread, which is used in the US.

I recommend the high flow PCL quick connects.
The outlet on the compressor is likely 1/4 or 1/2 inch BSP so just convert that to a female pcl.
Very easy to use and reliable, you can make up your own hoses by buying a long hose and cutting it up, then add the appropriate connectors.
I have a Nu air compressor which I like a lot better than my old machine mart rubbish.
Shop around, places like SGS were asking a LOT more than I paid for my nu air.

Ollie

Last edited:
a1 on noise. for your uses I reckon a good little un beats a good big un. they are pretty weighty. pneumatic nailers are much better than cordless. the hose is also important in use those curly hoses being really annoying. hate to mention em but rutlands used to sell a little compressor that seemed ok

I'm also going to push your budget and recommend the Hyundai - I have the 24l 'silent' compressor, and it runs at 60-something dB, rather than the more usual 95ish dB for a regular compressor - that's a HUGE difference. I can easily hold a conversation whilst mine is running, and working from my home garage noise is a big consideration. 24l is perfect for nail guns, car tyres, bit of dusting etc., I think I paid £175 for mine in the summer, and honestly I have no regrets compared to the cheaper, noisy ones...

As for fittings, I use the 'Euro' style quick release ones. I bought a cheap nail gun from facebook (for a tenner, with a hose and some nails!), and swapped the original quick release for Euro ones. I can't recall the name of the 'other' style - they're both similar size, but I think the Euro ones are slightly shorter? Anyway - it's easy to buy a bag of male/female quick release, and replace them on tools - the screw side appears pretty standard so just unscrew, wrap a bit of PTFE, screw on the new fitting. (Same is true of the hoses I've got - they also have replaceable ends. )

Hyundai have an outlet site on eBay where they sell refurbished and customer returns cheaper than retail. Just search Hyundai outlet it will come up.
re connectors all UK connectors use 1/4 BSP threads there are 2 styles euro and standard PCL (PCL invented the quick release connector) I use the standard and it’s fine for nail guns, tyres, blow gun, I’ve even sprayed with them. The euro which has a larger bore, was made I think for HVLP (high volume low pressure) spray guns due to the large volume of air needed.
hope this helps.

Machinemart 25L compressor, bought 10 years ago, came with PCL (long snout) connectors.
Last week purchase, Hyundai 50L, came with Euro connectors.
Suggest (guess) Euro will be more common moving forward.
Took me 15 mins to change over all the connectors on my tools (same as you list), so no sweat.
I bought PCL Tyre inflation and compressed air products | PCL connectors (from Screwfix) as 'better quality'.
Amazon/ebay have sets of unknown quality connectors.
If you don't mind second hand, you can have my old compressor for £40, 10m airline thrown in.

Machinemart 25L compressor, bought 10 years ago, came with PCL (long snout) connectors.
Last week purchase, Hyundai 50L, came with Euro connectors.
Suggest (guess) Euro will be more common moving forward.
Took me 15 mins to change over all the connectors on my tools (same as you list), so no sweat.
I bought PCL Tyre inflation and compressed air products | PCL connectors (from Screwfix) as 'better quality'.
Amazon/ebay have sets of unknown quality connectors.
If you don't mind second hand, you can have my old compressor for £40, 10m airline thrown in.
Thank you for the offer - if you were closer I might well have taken you up on it but just a little too far away.

I have two compressors a small portable and a large workshop one. I use a mix of PCL and Euro. For air tools that require lubricant I use one type (Euro in my case) and for spraying I use PCL with an oil trap. I also have made up converters, short length of airline hose with appropriate male/female connectors either end, this gets over connector mismatch. The least reliable part of compressors seems to be the regulator, over the years have occasionally had to replace them.

Latest posts

Back