Where to buy Accoya?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGyver

Reaction score
I am looking at making some windows and wondering where people buy Accoya from? It just seems to be so very expensive. For example, 50mm x 100mm is £50 a metre!

How does anyone justify these prices?

Arnold Laver or Lathams is where we've bought it from in the past.

there arent very many main agents for accoya, mostly its International Timber, James Latham -both are in Pufleet

Arnold Laver perhaps

Why are you wanting to use Accoya? If your making them yourself the only real cost is the material. So, IMO if they are made correctly and painted properly your looking at a life expectancy probably longer than you will be ever need. The Sapele windows in my house are now over 50 years old, needing some repair in places due to poor maintenance and also some manufacturing stuff but, not difficult repairs and only to the sashes.

If you seal the end grain in the glue joints, vent the rebates, use modern glues, paint it with say environmentally friendly linseed oil paint, I’d imagine they would still be going strong when your helping the roses grow. Looking at the prices of the Accoya you could make six windows out of Sapele for the same money as one out of Accoya (wood only). It’s a lot nicer to work with.

I have always used Lavers for Accoya.

It is expensive but it is good stuff, wish all my customers were willing to pay for it.

Why are you wanting to use Accoya? If your making them yourself the only real cost is the material. So, IMO if they are made correctly and painted properly your looking at a life expectancy probably longer than you will be ever need. The Sapele windows in my house are now over 50 years old, needing some repair in places due to poor maintenance and also some manufacturing stuff but, not difficult repairs and only to the sashes.

If you seal the end grain in the glue joints, vent the rebates, use modern glues, paint it with say environmentally friendly linseed oil paint, I’d imagine they would still be going strong when your helping the roses grow. Looking at the prices of the Accoya you could make six windows out of Sapele for the same money as one out of Accoya (wood only). It’s a lot nicer to work with.

its must be trendy, as no one has pointed me any reasons for using Accoya instead Sepele.

I stopped using it once the prices went bonkers I have gone back to Utile/Sapele.
It is good, but not good enough for what they charge. Unless its going to be in permanent water contact or something.
I buy it at Lavers if I am using it.
It's expensive because they can ! it is a patented process in some way. Also because it comes from New Zealand and shipping is insane at the moment.

Ollie

Last edited:
its must be trendy, as no one has pointed me any reasons for using Accoya instead Sepele.

Here's one.

Sapele = Shrinkage: Radial - 4.8%, Tangential: 7.2%, Volumetric: 12.8%,
Accoya = Shrinkage (avg) ISO 4469 Wet to 65% RH, 20°C Radial Tangential 0.4% 0.8% Wet to Oven Dry Radial Tangential 0.7% 1.5%

I only use it for myself, not commercially, but have (and am currently making) windows and doors in Accoya which I get from Lavers. It is extremely stable in all humidity conditions which means not only can you work with tight clearances, paint finishes don't get stressed by dimensional movement to the same extent, which is why some of the paint manufacturers suggest really long durability of at least 10+ years when correctly applied.

I just bought about £800 worth, and I actually didn't think it had gone up so much. An arnold laver price list 2016 showed mid sizes @ ~£1800m3 and this latest price list @ ~£2300m3 which isn't too bad in 5-6 years
20220123_151221_800.jpg

BTW, @MacGyver , 50x100 A1 Accoya is ~£12/m exc. at lavers on the last price list I have. I think that site you linked to is for small orders online. If you are buying reasonable quantities I suggest give your local Arnold Laver branch a bell and get their local price list. For £800 worth they delivered free too ~35 miles from branch.

Last edited:
Apart from the fact that it is ~6 times the rate of inflation during that period!

From a commercial perspective it is a fair point. However, from a DIYer perspective it hasn't added much to the per-project cost. At least it hasn't nearly doubled like carcassing timber seems to have done from the local builders merchant. !!

I like the fact you order Accoya in the sizes you need so very little waste.

Just the fact that it doesn't move makes it worth the extra in some situations.

I havent used it, but if it is as stable as they say, just not having to remake one bowed door would pay for itself. I.e, if you experience wood movement with your projects and you could eliminate movement, that in itself would save you time and hasstle.

I would certainly consider it. In fact, thinking logically, based on that recent thread about a bowed door and wet screed, offering it to customers with a direct price comparison to sapele would be a good move. Explaining potential wood movement and accoya eliminating that, if the customer chooses sapele or whatever, they basically accept the potential for movement

Explaining potential wood movement and accoya eliminating that, if the customer chooses sapele or whatever, they basically accept the potential for movement

That is pretty much how I sell it to people, I have had a couple of "Well I did say....." type conversations with customers in the past.

Even with the best intentions people don't keep on top of the painting and maintenance which is when the problems start, with Accoya you don't seem to get these problems.

Back